Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:20 AM

64 posts, read 179,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
What happened to The Delaware Sub Shop? That was the best and closest to a real Philly steak I've had in this part of the country.
Delaware Sub Shop moved to Austin Hwy @ Vandiver. They get my vote !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM

162 posts, read 540,431 times
Delaware Sub Shop is no more. The location (Austin Hwy.) is now some sort of Chicago style place. Kind of ticks me off, since I never got a chance to try DSS.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM

213 posts, read 569,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I liked Philly Connection a lot (and posted that a few times in the other thread). I haven't been there in a at least 6 months, though, so something could've happened to the quality. I also received only positive feedback from everyone I recommended the place too and that included a couple people from Pennsylvania (none actually from Philly, just near there). It's also one of only two places I know of that sells TastyKakes; the other place is the commissary on Lackland.
rd I am actually from Philly born and raised for the first 26 years of my life, so when I go I will tell you for sure. I am a cheese steak snob, actually my first job for 5 years (ages 14-19) was working at a steak place in West Philly. Been to Pats and Geno more times than you could count and whenever I go home there are certain things I buy, first stop a cheese steak, then a pretzel then tastycakes to come home with!! I even bring Amoroso rolls home to freeze... Everyone in Philly thinks Pats and Genos are the best but I can tell you for a long time the Wurst house in West Philly could give them a run for their money! Unfortunately they no longer are the Wurst House

Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,990,713 times
Youz Guyz Philly Cheese Steaks on Pat Booker Rd. in Universal City is great! The owners recently moved down from Philadelphia to open it. The outside doesn't necessarily look clean but the inside is very neat and organized.

I like their food because it's not overly greasy, just perfect and the meat is good quality too.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM

452 posts, read 1,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsawomanthing View Post
rd I am actually from Philly born and raised for the first 26 years of my life, so when I go I will tell you for sure. I am a cheese steak snob, actually my first job for 5 years (ages 14-19) was working at a steak place in West Philly. Been to Pats and Geno more times than you could count and whenever I go home there are certain things I buy, first stop a cheese steak, then a pretzel then tastycakes to come home with!! I even bring Amoroso rolls home to freeze... Everyone in Philly thinks Pats and Genos are the best but I can tell you for a long time the Wurst house in West Philly could give them a run for their money! Unfortunately they no longer are the Wurst House
Mmmmmmm...Geno's! I love their cheese steaks!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,844,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Mmmmmmm...Geno's! I love their cheese steaks!
Pat's Geno's and Jim's..OK..but all are overrated, touristy.

Here is where real Philadelphian's get their steaks from:

Dalessandro's Steaks - Roxborough - Philadelphia, PA

As most of you know, I grew up in NY/NJ..but I frequented Philly. Every time I'm in that area on business, I always take time out for a steak here. Never a disappointment.
No whiz at this place.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM

452 posts, read 1,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Pat's Geno's and Jim's..OK..but all are overrated, touristy.

Here is where real Philadelphian's get their steaks from:

Dalessandro's Steaks - Roxborough - Philadelphia, PA

As most of you know, I grew up in NY/NJ..but I frequented Philly. Every time I'm in that area on business, I always take time out for a steak here. Never a disappointment.
No whiz at this place.
What can I say? I WAS a tourist! *lol* It was still good!

I guess it would be similar to saying that Mi Tierra or La Margarita had the best Mexican food in town.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,977,813 times
Youz Guyz hands down.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 AM

213 posts, read 569,200 times
Cheese steaks should never ever have cheese whiz on them!

the proper way to cook a cheese steak is this:
Flat grill
one cutting spatula, one serving spatula
and oil (good oil)
meat (thin slice and of a decent quality)

grill should be hot!
make a line done the grill with oil (medium in width)
place steak meat on top of oil
let set a minute and then begin to chop apart (not into itty bitty pieces either that it is like ground meat!)
slice an amoroso roll on its side (as meat simmers)
add ingredients such as lettuce, tomatoe or whatever you live
add onions to meat and chop into meat
if you want peppers go for it but they are added next and chopped into meat
then after a bit add cheese on top and let slow melt (should be provolone!!!!)
place roll with topping on top and let set
scoop with serving utensil and VIOLA! a real cheese steak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheese should never be on top, it should always be melted, cheese steaks should be gooey, and messy but never overly greasy!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 PM

40 posts, read 139,314 times
Another vote for Youz Guys! The parking isn't all that great, but the food is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio