Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,037 times

Advertisements

http://nisd.net/boundaries/boundary/19/map.pdf
FROM JULES07: " It just showed up on the nisd site and is the proposed boundaries. It goes to the school board very soon and then the School Boundary Advisory Committee very shortly after that. Public hearing is March 16th at Taft [at 7:00 PM].

These boundaries are not yet approved. There is time for adjustment. I don't really see how a school would put itself on the northern perimeter of it's own population boundary.

So for anyone who is concerned and would prefer that their children or their neighborhood go to this new school, let's come up with some arguments to present at the public hearing. At the very least, it will affect your home value significantly.

It's not too late to make change. Specifics, statistics, numbers are very useful during a presetation. What would you say at the March 16th meeting if you could be there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM

155 posts, read 373,148 times
You'll be fighting all those folks who live south of Potranco, who might get shifted to Stevens to make room for AR folks. I guess because they paid less for their homes than people in AR that they are less deserving of a new high school?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,037 times
Who said anything about paying less? Alamo Ranch is across the street from BHS. However, I'd be happy to go to Stevens.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
You'll be fighting all those folks who live south of Potranco, who might get shifted to Stevens to make room for AR folks. I guess because they paid less for their homes than people in AR that they are less deserving of a new high school?
Well honestly they pay more for the school (in taxes) so why not?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM

41 posts, read 108,827 times
Default What is wrong with Taft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
Who said anything about paying less? Alamo Ranch is across the street from BHS. However, I'd be happy to go to Stevens.
If going to Stevens is ok then why not Taft? Newer isn't always better. Seriously Taft seems to me to be the logical choice right now for Alamo Ranch and surrounding area, at least until they build the new high school farther out on Culebra. I mean Taft is basically in Alamo Ranch so why wouldn't Northside draw the boundaries to include them? This comes with the age of our side of town its new development and thus sometimes we don't always get what we thought we were going to get just 2 years ago. We get new elementaries and middle schools and I am sure in the future that new high school on Culebra, but for now Taft will be the high school. I am sure Northside has their reasons for drawing it this way, maybe current growth projections? I don't know but since my child is only nearing elementary and we have a brand new elementary I can say we are happy.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 AM

298 posts, read 945,278 times
I think Northside needs to provide some info prior to this meeting. What is the current student population at Taft? What happens when Alamo Ranch is built out to 15,000 homes in say 5-7 years? Is an additional school planned? Where?

Yes, I am disappointed about these lines. We live right across the street from Brennan yet won't be going there. And I have not heard one overly positive remark about Taft from anyones parent that has a child there currently....so I am not excited about my children going there....of course a lot can happen in 8 years.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
Ya might wanna check out the associated changes with Stevens' attendance boundaries, if that's the case. I'd prefer that my kids go to Taft over Stevens.

Also, as per this:
News : NISD announces attendance zone proposal for another new high school : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238
It really sounds like the purpose of opening Brennan was to alleviate overcrowding issues at Stevens, not Taft. If that is the case then the boundaries make perfect sense. (Just IMHO.)

Hafta say, I'm honestly surprised by the proposed lines as well. However, if memory serves me right, the school district never said that Brennan would serve the AR neighborhoods, did it? We all thought it would, but I don't remember ever hearing anything from NISD that it would. Anybody?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw4life View Post
If going to Stevens is ok then why not Taft? Newer isn't always better. Seriously Taft seems to me to be the logical choice right now for Alamo Ranch and surrounding area, at least until they build the new high school farther out on Culebra. I mean Taft is basically in Alamo Ranch so why wouldn't Northside draw the boundaries to include them? This comes with the age of our side of town its new development and thus sometimes we don't always get what we thought we were going to get just 2 years ago. We get new elementaries and middle schools and I am sure in the future that new high school on Culebra, but for now Taft will be the high school. I am sure Northside has their reasons for drawing it this way, maybe current growth projections? I don't know but since my child is only nearing elementary and we have a brand new elementary I can say we are happy.
What school are you talking about? I don't see any new high schools in the planning stages on the NISD website. Are you referring to future bond proposals??

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
I think Northside needs to provide some info prior to this meeting. What is the current student population at Taft? What happens when Alamo Ranch is built out to 15,000 homes in say 5-7 years? Is an additional school planned? Where?

Yes, I am disappointed about these lines. We live right across the street from Brennan yet won't be going there. And I have not heard one overly positive remark about Taft from anyones parent that has a child there currently....so I am not excited about my children going there....of course a lot can happen in 8 years.
Most all of this info can be found on the NISD website. Just takes some digging. I found the page for the office that does the boundary planning yesterday, but am having trouble locating it today. Will post a link if I find it. It has attendance figures and projected figures. As far as everything that is currently planned (and funded through the various bonds), it's all on the website as well.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Finally found it!

Here ya go texasgirl1 ~ lots of info on here;

Resource Planning Internet HOME page

Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM

298 posts, read 945,278 times
thanks Jules07
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio