Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 47,934 times

Advertisements

Hello my family and I are going to be relocating to San Antonio. I was wondering if any of you can tell me about the concrete market there. I have owned my own concrete business for the past 7 years now. All the work doesn't have to come from new construction. Maybe remodels, ad ons, rv pad ect. Any input on this would be helpful. Thank you in advance. I do Flatwork By the way thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,784,802 times
With the boom in new construction both commercially and military you really shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding work.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM

592 posts, read 2,027,717 times
There always is a need. Job market for now is doing well in most construction work

Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,438,857 times
If someone would open a concrete production company (or whatever you call the people that bring the concrete to a location in a cement truck) with good customer service, they'd probably immediately take over the entire market. From what I have heard from contractors that do concrete work, getting the concrete is the major hurdle. I guess the drivers are rude and they make up prices and their own rules as they go. They have the upper hand from what I've heard.
There is a ton of construction here, though, so I wouldn't imagine you having a hard time finding work.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,485,656 times
Think you have found a great place to live a nice life and find lots of work...lots going on here. As RD said, you have any good customer service skills and you will be in HIGH demand!

Welcome to SA

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 47,934 times
Default Thank You

Thank you all for your posts. That is one thing that people love about me is my customer service. Now i just need to know what to charge per foot. Thank you all again.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,392,688 times
Gosh....I'm not wanting to disagree with the good posters above, but from my industry, startups are slowing down....commercial and residential. You need to call some of the big contractor companies and builders and do some personal research. One the comes to mind that has an excellent reputation is Metropolitan Contractors. Also Koontz-McCombs. Talk to someone in their planning/development department and get some insight into where the business is right now.

I think your focus might be on sidewalks, drives and other needs beyond real estate foundation work. Look to the city/county and check into the bid process. It's tedious and competitive, but there is a lot of road/public works improvements going on.

San Antonio is a big cement/concrete community because of all the rock quarries. There is a lot of competition. It might be a good idea to work for a good local reputable company for a while to get to know the market before you venture out on your own here. Your experience will most likely be welcomed.

Good luck and welcome to San Antonio!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,178,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Gosh....I'm not wanting to disagree with the good posters above, but from my industry, startups are slowing down....commercial and residential.
That's my take, too. While government construction work is starting to heat up with the expansion at Fort Sam, non-government jobs are slowing down. I've seen a couple of commercial construction sites lately with signs at the entrance which say "Not Hiring." That tells me that there's more workers than work.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:43 PM

337 posts, read 827,875 times
did you move here? I need to have some driveway work done and have no idea who to call.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,445,022 times
I know this is an old post, but if you're still looking to move here, I know that I just had to fly a concrete crew in from Georgia to pour a very long drive (about 500 yards) and build a bridge for one of my houses because the crews here sucked and were way over priced. We were able to fly a crew in and get the job done for way less than using someone in town. So...yes. I think there's a market for a quality company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio