Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:14 AM

363 posts, read 749,220 times

Advertisements

I have repeatedly had horrible service at several restaurants here. Moderator cut: restaurant name at 281 and 1604 and both Moderator cut: restaurant name in particular. It is a HUGE issue for me, even to the point that I can enjoy mediocre food if the service is on point. Conversely I find it very hard to enjoy even the best food if I find myself constantly annoyed at the service. Money aside, where can we just get some attentive service?

Last edited by Bo; 02-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints, since they present defamation issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:00 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,061,191 times
No offense, but if its "repeatedly" as you say, maybe you are too demanding, too picky, have a chip on your shoulder, look down on wait staff.....something. I can understand your dilemma--I think everyone can agree that bad service is bad, but everywhere you go? I would start looking inward, but that's just me.

There are too many places for me to list where I get good service in this city. And when I do get bad service, it's hit and miss.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:40 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,903,645 times
Ditto.
Another point is that alot of chains have medicre food, but good service makes even mediocre food good. The independent, sole proprieter restaurants are usually better and more personal in service and food. The chains have a menu for the wait staff to follow, there is no personalization.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 AM

734 posts, read 3,018,209 times
I always get great service at Chuy's! Moderator cut: restaurant name is hit or miss - in the bar we had TERRIBLE service one time.

It's not just SA. I've had bad service in Washington DC, California, Arizona, Washington - you name it! I think Hawaii was the one place we had excellent service everywhere, oh and New York was pretty good too.

Last edited by Bo; 02-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints, since they present defamation issues.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,543,915 times
We have only eaten at Chuy's one time but we had excellent service!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 PM

363 posts, read 749,220 times
Obviously, you can find bad service in any given city. Again, I am looking for places with good service. I was a server for many years, I am easily more forgiving of service issues than most, but having to get up on my own to get water pitchers for a refill (Moderator cut: restaurant name), being given last call 30 minutes before closing and 5 minutes after sitting down because the bartender wants to go home (Moderator cut: restaurant name), are not me being overly critical. Moderator cut: restaurant name I could write an entire page on. So again, anyone have any specific places, even specific servers, to seek out?

Last edited by Bo; 02-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints, since they present defamation issues.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:50 PM

824 posts, read 1,817,602 times
I've always had excellent service at the following places:

Cappy's
La Fonda
Sandbar
Josephine St. Steakhouse
Ciao Lavandaria
Bistro Vatel
La Frite

And though I've obviously not included chains, I've always thought the servers at the Pappas restaurants are highly dependable.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:54 PM

734 posts, read 3,018,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I've always had excellent service at the following places:

Cappy's
La Fonda
Sandbar
Josephine St. Steakhouse
Ciao Lavandaria
Bistro Vatel
La Frite

And though I've obviously not included chains, I've always thought the servers at the Pappas restaurants are highly dependable.
My husband had HORRIBLE service at Moderator cut: restaurant name - but the other two times we have been to a Pappa's restaurant were just great. I think every place has the possibility of poor service, it all depends on the day.

Last edited by Bo; 02-23-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints, since they present defamation issues.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 PM

778 posts, read 2,505,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnTktHldr View Post
Money aside, where can we just get some attentive service?
Allstars.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,564,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnTktHldr View Post
I have repeatedly had horrible service at several restaurants here. Moderator cut: restaurant name at 281 and 1604 and both Moderator cut: restaurant name in particular. It is a HUGE issue for me, even to the point that I can enjoy mediocre food if the service is on point. Conversely I find it very hard to enjoy even the best food if I find myself constantly annoyed at the service. Money aside, where can we just get some attentive service?
What do you expect by attentive?

I've found that people have differing ideas about what is good service. For me, a waiter who hovers over our table, asks repeatedly if we need more, and brings the check the minute we put down our cutlery (slight exaggeration, but not much) is bad service. Others have said that's what they'd expect from good service, so it's a matter of perspective.

I expect a waiter who stays reasonably within my line of vision (not constantly, but frequently), alert to my eye contact if I need something, but otherwise staying back, and waiting until I ask for the check to bring it so I can linger over my wine or coffee.

I don't know the two restaurants you describe, so can't comment on those. I've had great service at La Frite, Liberty Bar, Bohanan's, Silo. Probably a few others but these days we pretty much only go to La Frite

Last edited by Bo; 02-23-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: