Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times

Advertisements

Out of 40 cities rated, San Antonio ranked #15. Here is how they break it down:

#15 San Antonio
RANKINGS
Culture: 31
Night Life: 25
Singles: 27
Job Growth: 3
Cost Of Living Alone: 1
Online Dating Rank: 30

They are at the low end of the list for most things with the exception of Job Growth and Cost of Living. Austin ranks #14 right above SA.

Atlanta is #1, Jacksonville FL is #40

Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM

35 posts, read 51,909 times
So, the basis by which this result was obtained was because the city apparently has relatively high job growth and a low cost of living? What it doesn't say is that the majority of new jobs in San Antonio are low paying and low skill, respectively. As for the low cost of living, perhaps that has something to do with the lack of variety and overall "lameness" of the city?

I'm an educated single man and if what I've seen is representative of the entire population (which seems to ring true), I'd rather stay single.

Last edited by 5Fingaz; 10-10-2008 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
I'd rather you stay single as well.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Fingaz View Post
So, the basis by which this result was obtained was because the city apparently has relatively high job growth and a low cost of living? What it doesn't say is that the majority of new jobs in San Antonio are low paying and low skill, respectively. As for the low cost of living, perhaps that has something to do with the lack of variety and overall "lameness" of the city?

I'm an educated single man and if what I've seen is representative of the entire population (which seems to ring true), I'd rather stay single.
Not to worry, with your attitude, its a given. Of course, there DOES seem to be one or two very educated single and almost-as-unhappy-as-your-post types on here from time to time...

Last edited by Paka; 10-10-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 03:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Well, it looks more like it ranks #1 for COL and #3 for job growth, but #27 for singles. I don't think you can average that to say #15 for singles, really.

That said, I've heard people complain about how SA is all about family life and it's hard as a single person here. But having arrived here as a 30 something single person, I had the time of my life meeting people, then I met my husband and am having an even better time . I had a large group of single friends (most not from SA), almost all of whom have met their spouses here in SA in the past 5 years or so. ALL of whom would probably qualify as over educated

For me personally, it was a little bit of a challenge at first but that was because I had spent the previous 10+ years in academic types of environments or as an expat with tons of single people/new arrivals, so mostly easy to make new friends. My lifestyle in SA was very different, however I still managed to find other educated, cultured, well travelled, interesting individuals here.

Back to the OP - I don't put much stock in rankings, regardless, but the averaging Forbes has done really doesn't make sense. I don't think job growth and COL are that relevant on their own to how a city fares for singles, so really they should only consider the other variables or at least weight them more, which would put us closer to #28 or so. But really, as long as you know how to enjoy life, any city is good for singles

Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times
The article caught my attention because it said that Atlanta was number one, and my husband was currently in Atlanta! (And not wearing a wedding ring I might add!) He informed me that I had nothing to worry about

I thought it was interesting that Austin was only one rank higher than SA and I thought it was a much "cooler" place for singles.

Take the article for what it's worth. I could care less about the single life here.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Ah, it's an interesting article. I appreciate why COL is in there, I think it just skews the data...but then I see the same for Atlanta and SF.

More importantly, people in even the best city on earth complain about 'how hard it is to meet someone.'

Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
I thought it was interesting that Austin was only one rank higher than SA and I thought it was a much "cooler" place for singles.
Interestingly enough, SA ranked 13th for "coolness"; Austin 20th. In "nightlife", SA won again: 25th vs. 35th.

Quote:
Take the article for what it's worth. I could care less about the single life here.
Could not care less. Why do people always seem to get that wrong?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
I'm just about convinced that these Forbes rankings are made up on the fly (as are most IMHO). I mean, wasn't it just last year that Austin was ranked number one for singles? When you compare these lists year by year, always with wildly differing rankings, do cities in general really change that dramatically in just twelve months? I mean, one day we're 15th for singles, next year we'll be 89th and Cleveland will be number two I think, in my case, these rankings will taken with a grain of salt from now on - like those "polls" in celebrity gossip rags like People, on who looks better in one dress over the other, I mean, really, are people actually voting on this, is this being done scientifically? I'm being sarcastic to a point, but, oh, the hell with it, I'm just blabberring .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio