Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM

81 posts, read 218,413 times

Advertisements

I have never been there before but we are planning to see the Dark Night there tonight! I noticed there is a VIP room, 18 and up that is more expensive than the regular ticket price. What else is included to make it more expensive? I used to live in Kansas City and our theater had a VIP room which had nice leather recliners and servers that would bring you food and drink (kind of like Alamo Drafthouse or the Bijou here, but nicer). Is this theater like that? We were just wondering if it was worth the extra cost (although the over 18 thing alone may be worth it!!) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I've never actually been there, but some coworkers told me it had leather seats like those kinds you put in a home theater. I would personally prefer one more like 25+ or 30+, but I guess 18 is technically not a kid. even though they're usually more annoying.
anyhow, I wanted to go there last weekend and see it in that theater, but Santikos and the Palladium are obviously not bright and they were only showing sex in the city and hancock. I'm guessing someone finally pointed out that was financially very retarded

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 AM

81 posts, read 218,413 times
LOL, I don;t know. Our VIP room in KC never had the first run movies in there either. It was a smaller theater and people wanted to sit in there because it was so much nicer, so they never had a problem selling out no matter what was showing.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Their VIP theaters aren't really that VIP. Save your money.

Leather seating, yes, but it's fixed back and can't recline. It's horribly uncomfortable if you're tall.

No wait service. Small screens. Not worth the 20% upcharge. Santikos needs to re-evaluate his idea of 'VIP' if he wants to charge that kind of money... It wouldn't take much to really do it right.

BN

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

Leather seating, yes, but it's fixed back and can't recline. It's horribly uncomfortable if you're tall.

BN
OMG. That's like putting a 2.0 engine in a Ferrari!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:27 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
Wow, Benjamin. Thanks for the heads-up. I was actually excited when I read about this--I had in mind a nice, cozy screening room with very comfy chairs and perhaps a better sound system. Sounds like I'll take your advice and watch movies with the "common folk."

--Dim

Disclaimer: No offense should be taken by my use of the term "common folk." It is in no way intended to categorize any individual watching a movie in a standard theater room, and should be accepted as sarcasm.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:25 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Disclaimer: No offense should be taken by my use of the term "common folk." It is in no way intended to categorize any individual watching a movie in a standard theater room, and should be accepted as sarcasm.

LOL. Smart thinking... God forbid you incur the wrath of the those here with censorship ability. Itchy trigger fingers abound. *rolls eyes*

In any event: The theater is no different that the normal ones. No better sound, projection, smaller screens and fixed-back leather seating. I'd skip it, wait for AMC to open their new luxury theater (this fall) and go tell John Santikos to jump in the lake. He may now, again, be the reigning king of movie houses in San Antonio, but he's leaving a whole lot on the table.

I miss Arclight in LA. Now THAT was a movie theater.

BN

Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
Yeah, we had a couple theaters in the Northern VA area that were like Arclight. VERY nice (and somewhat expensive). In reality, with two small children we see maybe two movies a year at the theater. Most are Redbox or cable anymore. It's ok though, since I have a pretty good setup at home, can control things like volume and lighting, and don't have to miss a word of dialogue during a bathroom break!

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: