Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,088,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
guys thanks for your feeback...i know since you live there and most of you seem to deal with this issue pretty easily.....maybe i should re-consider the decision...i am not sure i could handle coming across them around or even in my house!

what a bummer! i was really looking forward to moving there...i know you guys probably think i am nuts! but really i can't explain it...i am just scared/phobic of anything that creepeth or crawleth! yuckkk!
Just curious--but where do you think you might live that has NO spiders, snakes, roaches, and the like? If you find such a place, I may have some oceanfront property in Arizona that you may be interested in...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 AM

170 posts, read 762,843 times
AFK,

I think if you live in the city you won't come across snakes and scorpions.
I have lived here 30 years and have seen the lizards (or maybe they're geckos) and the huge roaches, but not snakes or scorpions. If you live out in the hill country you may encounter those other creepy crawlies...but I'm not even sure about that...

I think the humidity brings out those water roaches and they are pretty nasty; they make a mess if you stomp on one. I usually find 1-2 per year that sneak into my home; I usually let me cats chase them until the roach exhausts and dies. The lizards tend to hang outside but I think they're really cute, they're little guys. I've only seen one rat outside in all my years of living here.

Best of luck on your decision.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 AM

116 posts, read 473,302 times
If you see geckos inside your house (that's what most of your "lizards" are here), leave em alone! They eat bugs!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,661,620 times
One of the reasons I moved up to the Panhandle is to get away from the palmetto (water) bugs, hate them, ugh ugh They will fly at you!! I much prefer the lizards and scorpions. Get a cat, they will take care of the critters. However, I like the lizards in my house, let my cat play with them but then put them outside by the tail. They are harmless, and yes are good about eating bugs. Also crickets in season always getting in. Related to roaches, but don't mind them at all. My cat eats them! Bugs were here long before us, they are a part of life, got to get used to them if you want to live here. Exception: palmetto bugs!! Shoot to kill.....

Old 01-15-2007, 07:48 AM

104 posts, read 522,290 times
Am I understanding this right? Roaches are something that is common to have in your home in SA? I can't get used to that!!

I lived in Okinawa, Japan (military brat childhood) and am very familiar with the geckos. I actually grew to like the little critters, especially when you heard the little chirp they made as they were eating the big water bugs.

I can accept lizards, scorpions, and snakes, but in no way can I feel comfortable sharing my home with those nasty roaches!! I'm talking the little brown ones (or are they black?) that multiply faster than rabbits and can't ever be killed off. The big water bug-roach looking things (are those palmetto bugs?) are horrible to look at, but I don't remember seeing them very often in Japan, so I would assume it's similar in Texas? You don't get infested with them, but rather you just see the occasional one that finds a way in your home? We don't have a cat, but I do have a vacuum cleaner with a very long hose attachment, AKA "bug getter."

Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,661,620 times
SA has BOTH and all kinds, trust me. Won't live there or anyplace with heat and humidity, they thrive in it!

Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 PM

116 posts, read 473,302 times
Been here since '98 and haven't seen a roach in our home yet. Two scorpions when we *first* moved in, probably found their way in during construction, nothing since. Only real bother has been fire ants, and either a pot of boiling water (cheap treehugger way) or some of that nastyass smelling white powder (lazy way) takes care of them pretty quick.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
SA has BOTH and all kinds, trust me. Won't live there or anyplace with heat and humidity, they thrive in it!
Hmm....we have heat and humidity here too (East Coast of Virginia) and roaches can thrive here as well. However, they are usually only seen in really old run down homes, and dirty homes. What about the ones in Texas? Are they in homes that are clean and kept? (I'm referring to the little roaches that multiply quickly and don't die easily.)

Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOregon View Post
Been here since '98 and haven't seen a roach in our home yet. Two scorpions when we *first* moved in, probably found their way in during construction, nothing since. Only real bother has been fire ants, and either a pot of boiling water (cheap treehugger way) or some of that nastyass smelling white powder (lazy way) takes care of them pretty quick.
Fire Ants? That sounds scary? Where are they? Please tell me not in your homes!

Am I going to have a problem letting my kids play in the backyard with all these scorpions, snakes, and fire ants?

Geez.....now I feel like the original poster on this thread. I'm starting to get a bit creeped out by the critters.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 PM

170 posts, read 762,843 times
Tiffani,

I hope you don't mind me saying that your posts are kind of amusing to me.

Having said that, I have never seen the little roaches (I call them food roaches) in my house...but it never fails that in the heat/humidity of the summer 1-2 big roaches sneak in per year. (everything is bigger in Texas they say). But I do live in an older part of the city so maybe that is why??

Have you though about moving somewhere that is colder...possibly less bugs will be in a colder environment...just a thought...

Best of luck to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio