Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 08:22 PM

9 posts, read 13,728 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am planning on relocating my family to San Antonio by this Winter. I have a few questions to help with my Research on moving.

Snakes- I have a huge phobia I am hearing different stories. some are saying they are everywhere some say only in wooded deserted locations. and to keep yards and homes clean. what areas with the least amount of snakes, scorpions, tarantulas. My husband also likes to hike I should probably stay away from hiking trails right?

Housing Search-We want to pay no more than 250,00 for a house. trying to stick under $240,00 if possible but we prefer a suburban area or a safe part of the cities. We also prefer a diverse area as we are a biracial family. which areas would you recommend?

Jobs and Salary-How hard is it finding a job in San Antonio? I've been working in healthcare for about 8 years in different areas. I'm not a nurse more of care coordinator, patient scheduling, referrals. My husband is a handyman but can do a lot of trades. what is the salary difference vs Mn?

Thank you for your time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 07:13 AM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
I've been here since '07 and the only snakes I've come across here are harmless garden snakes. The only time I've ever come across a Rattlesnake was hiking Runyon Canyon in LA. I wouldn't worry about it in general, but hiking trails/high grass is probably where they'd be.

250k definitely isn't going to go anywhere near as far as it would pre-covid, but I'd look in these areas.

- Schertz/Cibolo/Selma
- Converse (some parts are iffy... Sunrise comes to mind. Some are fine, going to be cheaper than above though)
- Outside of 1604 between Bandera/Potranco
- Areas around Madison high school, zoned for Madison. Roosevelt area can be sketchy. Windcrest is fine.
- Brookhollow/281 area (most likely going to be pushing $300k on the low end these days)
- Areas zoned for MacArthur HS
- You might be able to find a townhouse in the Dezavala/Vance Jackson area in that price range

Converse is going to have the most black people by far, but honestly the suburbs here around 1604 are all pretty diverse. Go to a grocery store in Stone Oak, UTSA area and probably Alamo Ranch too and you'll see every type of person under the sun. The inner city is where it gets mono-cultural. Mostly the south and west sides.

Not going to be able to help much on the job/salary part but healthcare is a huge industry here so you should be fine.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
The message above it a good starting point. I’ll say this to anyone relocating anywhere, get the job first. Healthcare shouldn’t be a hard thing to find, but you never know.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:43 AM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
The only time I've ever come across a Rattlesnake was hiking Runyon Canyon in LA. .
Pretty much the same thing in SA, the most common snake appearances in my opinion are when one is out for a walk on one of the greenway trails. You'll see them slithering across from one side of the path to the other minding their own business.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Pretty much the same thing in SA, the most common snake appearances in my opinion are when one is out for a walk on one of the greenway trails. You'll see them slithering across from one side of the path to the other minding their own business.
I rent ver story from a former nurse who said a doctor she worked with was bitten by a rattlesnake on the running trail at UTHSCSA. My father killed a rattlesnake in our backyard near 10/ De Zavala years ago too, but we live on the other side of a creek/green belt. I’ve come across a few on Salado creek and Leon Creek trails. But this all rings true to your comment. No one needs to ge afraid of tornados, snakes, or spiders. Flooding, cicadas, and roaches maybe.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:25 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
You say your husband is a handyman....if he's a GOOD one that follows through with leads/customers, and is fairly priced (Note: I did NOT say "cheap" - a GOOD handyman can bring in $25-50/hr as he gets established), he can do VERY well.
Once y'all are in the area, message me with his skillset info - I'll happily line him up with a few customers who are looking for what he can do. Once I know he's skilled AND reliable, I'll be more than happy to "network" him in to some folks that will be thrilled to have someone they can count on. I do NOT expect anything in return, other than for him to be fair and honest with the folks I send his way. I deal with a lot of folks new to the area, and they're always looking for a good handyman - the two I know of I tend to keep busy, lol!! Obviously, once established he'll not have to find new customers nearly as much, but that's a good thing, right?
Best of luck - others have given you good input as to areas to home search. So far as snakes go - you CAN find 'em if you go to the wrong places, but generally speaking it's not all that common.
As to "diversity".....frankly, most folks don't care about the color of your skin - it's about who you are as a person.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 6,334 times
Been here since 2016 from Houston. What I can say about the city SO FAR is less traffic lol! For some people that's understatement but the scenery is awesome the more north or west you go. With your Budget of max 250k you can defiantly find something out here, Im Realtor in SA and sold plenty of homes below that price range.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBill View Post
For home buyers in San Antonio seeking a suburban area with a diverse community, consider neighborhoods like Stone Oak or Alamo Heights. These areas offer a blend of safety, suburban living, and cultural diversity, with a range of housing options that may fit within your budget of $240,000-$250,000. I recently relocated so had to sell my house there and we did so with houses4texas.com, a real estate professional can guide you better!
No way you will find anything in the $240,000-$250,000 range in Alamo Heights. Lowest priced listing I can find in Alamo Heights as of today is a 2 Br. 1 bath cottage, for $529,000.

In today's market, $240,000-$250,000 in the San Antonio area is not going to get you something in the more desirable neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
No way you will find anything in the $240,000-$250,000 range in Alamo Heights. Lowest priced listing I can find in Alamo Heights as of today is a 2 Br. 1 bath cottage, for $529,000.

In today's market, $240,000-$250,000 in the San Antonio area is not going to get you something in the more desirable neighborhoods.
Ghost thread bump in hopes that someone will fall for this **** and message them. Maybe in 1985 this was possible.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:35 AM

262 posts, read 606,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Ghost thread bump in hopes that someone will fall for this **** and message them. Maybe in 1985 this was possible.
It was possible pre-covid. The market is an absolute joke. Shame on anyone buying now and paying these comical prices in an area that has garbage salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio