Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:35 AM

841 posts, read 1,751,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Kinetic Skyline on the BOA is nice, but it really should have covered more of building. I'm aware of other LED installations that Bill FitzGibbons has done and felt this one was not his best.

The Frost looks good, especially at night.

The Thompson might change things up a little. I hear they have a good LED package on the building but haven't turned it on yet.
Agreed with all your points. The Frost changing up their lighting scheme based on the season (Christmas, 4th of July, etc.) was unexpected (I thought it was just going to be white) but welcome.

Yeah... Bill's installation at the BOA building (now owned by USAA as well)... I like it at night (I've taken many photos), but during the day its obvious that the equipment was incorporated into the building's architecture and just looks tacked on. This is something I've noticed about some of his installations - he crafts light at night very well, but the installation itself to create said light sometimes leaves much to be desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 01:24 PM

6,521 posts, read 7,590,190 times
I noticed that the new Frost Tower leaves it's lights on at night on several floors. The floors are visibly "gutted" as from the freeway you can see right through them. The opening of the tower during COVID was bad timing for it, plus it was reported that Frost recently had lay offs.

Credit Human (Formerly SACU) appears to have a nice new midrise building too just North of Downtown near the Pearl.
Although it might just be a branch office with their logo on the building and not necessarily the headquarters.

Security Service has a nice new campus as well but they chose the suburban route opening it up along IH10 on the far North Side

Old 01-28-2021, 03:31 PM

1,042 posts, read 885,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
This is something I've noticed about some of his installations - he crafts light at night very well, but the installation itself to create said light sometimes leaves much to be desired.
Astute observation.

The cleanliness of his install is definitely feast or famine. While the BOA building is a bit of a hodge-podge (and honestly, not all that well programmed), his Brady Green Clinic project is beautiful. It hits at all the right building angles and, the last time I paid attention to it, the show design was interesting.

I'd love to see a Dallas Omni hotel-like LED install somewhere Downtown.

Using the whole side of a building to create images, words and colors can be beautiful.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:50 AM

4,446 posts, read 5,370,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I noticed that the new Frost Tower leaves it's lights on at night on several floors. The floors are visibly "gutted" as from the freeway you can see right through them. The opening of the tower during COVID was bad timing for it, plus it was reported that Frost recently had lay offs.

Credit Human (Formerly SACU) appears to have a nice new midrise building too just North of Downtown near the Pearl.
Although it might just be a branch office with their logo on the building and not necessarily the headquarters.

Security Service has a nice new campus as well but they chose the suburban route opening it up along IH10 on the far North Side
That is the new Credit Human (such a dumb name) headquarters. The building next to it is where BOA consolidated all of their employees from across San Antonio.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:48 AM

29 posts, read 13,144 times
About time for SA to get to the 21st century (or maybe just 20th). Lol!

Old 01-29-2021, 12:30 PM

841 posts, read 1,751,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTXDriver View Post
About time for SA to get to the 21st century (or maybe just 20th). Lol!
Considering that in the early part of the 20th century, SA had the tallest building west of the Mississippi (the Tower-Life building of 1929 at 31 stories) and had started on one of the most beloved and copied urban projects in America (the Riverwalk), I think it's safe to say that your statement is at least partially inaccurate.

San Antonio may be behind on a lot of things (I also wish we had more towers downtown and our transit system needs significant investment), but we are national leaders in water conservation and historic preservation. Plus, our energy code is more advanced than even Austin. And Fiesta? Fiesta is just awesome.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:08 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,808,820 times
Austin is an great example of poor planning + uncontrolled growth mixed in with a lot of cash.

I think there is a thread going on in the Austin forum that people actually have to bid on some lots before building a new house in some parts of the city. Some people are bidding twice the minimum bid required and still getting outbid.

But hey...at least they have a more modern skyline

Old 01-29-2021, 03:50 PM

6,521 posts, read 7,590,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
That is the new Credit Human (such a dumb name) headquarters. The building next to it is where BOA consolidated all of their employees from across San Antonio.

I see that now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y72PHpimsGs

Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 PM

1,042 posts, read 885,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Austin is an great example of poor planning + uncontrolled growth mixed in with a lot of cash.

I think there is a thread going on in the Austin forum that people actually have to bid on some lots before building a new house in some parts of the city. Some people are bidding twice the minimum bid required and still getting outbid.

But hey...at least they have a more modern skyline

You can't blame Austin for attracting disposable income.

In some ways, SA is so poor in the realm of major Texas cities, we could use some of those folks who have money to throw around. That's the kind of thing that attracts a lot of other positive development.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:54 AM

62,028 posts, read 87,719,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Kinetic Skyline on the BOA is nice, but it really should have covered more of building. I'm aware of other LED installations that Bill FitzGibbons has done and felt this one was not his best.

The Frost looks good, especially at night.

The Thompson might change things up a little. I hear they have a good LED package on the building but haven't turned it on yet.

LED illumination surely looks pretty, but unnecessarily adds to light pollution.
In many bustling cities and towns, bright lights from towering high-rise buildings, houses and street lamps obscure views of the night sky and contribute to an environmental problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio