Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 37,726 times

Advertisements

What is the easement for residential property in San Antonio? I want to build a shop as close to the property line as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
i THINK it is no permanent structures w/in 10ft of the property line ---

Old 05-04-2008, 11:13 AM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygautesensharber View Post
What is the easement for residential property in San Antonio? I want to build a shop as close to the property line as possible.
Your survey from when you bought the house should have that marked on it. It may vary from place to place even within the city. There are some places that have zero lot lines.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Most developments have Deed Restrictions that delineate buiding setbacks & utility easements; you should have been furnished a copy when you purchased the property. The City doesn't enforce Deed Restrictions, that is usually done by the developer, HOA, or individual property owners. You may need to contact the City's Development Services Department to find out if there is a uniform minumum setback for accessory buildings, but I doubt that there is one. If you are inside the City of San Antonio, and the accessory building will be more than 120 square feet, you will need to obtain a building permit.

To give you an idea as to how something like this might work, a neighbor behind me enclosed their entire front yard with a 4 foot high chain link fence a few years ago. That fence violates the Deed Restrictions for the subdivision, and I know some of the adjoining neighbors objected to it, but development in the subdivision was completed many years ago, and the builder no longer enforces the Deed Restrictions because he no longer has an economic stake in it. We have no HOA in the area, so as I understand it, individual property owners would have had to take it upon themselves to hire an attorney to enforce the restrictions against the property owner who put up that fence. Since no one apparently was willing to do that, the fence still stands today. And yes, they got a City permit to put it in (I checked).

Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygautesensharber View Post
Kathy:

Your ability to build on your property is governed by three factors:

1. Deed Restrictions/CCRs. If these exist, you should've been furnished with a copy when you bought your property. If not, you should be able to get them from your HOA. If the HOA is inactive, you can get them from the Bexar County Clerk (they must be recorded to be enforceable).

2. Plat. When your subdivision was platted (which it most likely was), setbacks may have been placed on your property. Again, you should've received a copy when you bought your property, and you can find a copy at the BCC (all plats are recorded).

3. Zoning. San Antonio established base zoning districts for all properties within city limits, and each zoning district has different setbacks. You can find your zoning district by going to CoSA's website and going to the "Development Services" section and opening the GIS Mapping Application. After you find your property's zoning designation, open the "Unified Development Code" under the "RESOURCES" tab to determine what your setback is.

Keep in mind: Deed Restrictions/CCRs supercede Plat, and Plat supercedes Zoning.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 37,726 times
Default Thank you, dvlpr.

Thanks, dvlpr. This is very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Kathy:

Your ability to build on your property is governed by three factors:

1. Deed Restrictions/CCRs. If these exist, you should've been furnished with a copy when you bought your property. If not, you should be able to get them from your HOA. If the HOA is inactive, you can get them from the Bexar County Clerk (they must be recorded to be enforceable).

2. Plat. When your subdivision was platted (which it most likely was), setbacks may have been placed on your property. Again, you should've received a copy when you bought your property, and you can find a copy at the BCC (all plats are recorded).

3. Zoning. San Antonio established base zoning districts for all properties within city limits, and each zoning district has different setbacks. You can find your zoning district by going to CoSA's website and going to the "Development Services" section and opening the GIS Mapping Application. After you find your property's zoning designation, open the "Unified Development Code" under the "RESOURCES" tab to determine what your setback is.

Keep in mind: Deed Restrictions/CCRs supercede Plat, and Plat supercedes Zoning.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,363 times
Can a air conditioning unit be placed on the 5 ft set back which is required by law. The developers have put the ac unit on the set back easement. It is 1 ft away from my fence.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn11 View Post
Can a air conditioning unit be placed on the 5 ft set back which is required by law. The developers have put the ac unit on the set back easement. It is 1 ft away from my fence.
You should check with San Antonio Development Services. It sounds like you'll need a zoning variance. I would recommend you wait to ask when you have a spare $400, since that's how much a variance costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: