Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 02:08 PM

216 posts, read 132,274 times

Advertisements

Helotes is very nice but the rush hour becomes quite congested on right Bandera Rd. inside Helotes. Helotes is an itty bitty town and as Ashbeeigh said there are pretty good scenic lots to be had in the area.
You can't get away from the rush hour crowd on the northwest side but I would stay away from the Potranco and 1604 area for this very reason. It always seems congested on Potranco.
The Bandera area outside Loop 1604 is a nice area, safe. Bandera means, Flag and Helotes means, corn on the cob in Spanish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Somewhere in the Brandeis or O'connor school zone would probably be best. Clark is good too but a bit further away from Sea World.

Helotes would be a great choice.

If your budget is $500,000 you could afford a pretty damn nice house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 02:53 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
We are off 471 (Culebra) near Alamo Ranch and Helotes, and Government Canyons Park.

Traffic is getting beyond stupid, and the roads are getting torn up due to all the heavy truck traffic.

It's a nice place to live, there is a lot of amenities, but the price to pay is the traffic.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:19 PM

133 posts, read 80,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
Helotes is very nice but the rush hour becomes quite congested on right Bandera Rd. inside Helotes. Helotes is an itty bitty town and as Ashbeeigh said there are pretty good scenic lots to be had in the area.
You can't get away from the rush hour crowd on the northwest side but I would stay away from the Potranco and 1604 area for this very reason. It always seems congested on Potranco.
The Bandera area outside Loop 1604 is a nice area, safe. Bandera means, Flag and Helotes means, corn on the cob in Spanish.
Thanks for the Spanish lesson yaaawn! Helotes USED to be an "itty bitty town" as you put it. Have you been there within the last 15-20 years? Come out of the basement already. Traffic, places to eat that are the same crap, congestion and construction. Look elsewhere!

Old 10-07-2020, 05:16 PM

472 posts, read 668,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The reason I asked about budget was to offer you appropriate neighborhood recommendations. A 200k budget will offer a different type of recommendation then your budget offers. I wouldn't want to offer you million dollar neighborhoods in the Dominion if you can't afford it. Do you have a realtor? Have you asked them about these specific neighborhoods that you are interested in? Which ones are you interested in? We can offer the insight we do have on them if you throw the names out.

With that budget I'd honestly look into Helotes proper. You'll have some of the best views in the SA area. We don't have "mountains" but do have some pretty big "hills" to look out to. Most of the homes feed into O'Connor High School which is a great school.

FWIW, there was a large contingent of West Creek neighbors on the CD board years ago and there was a lengthy thread about the neighborhood. I think they feed into Warren high school if I remember correctly. Maybe Brennan. Any NISD schools will be some of the better schools in SA, but in ranking the NISD schools on best to worst Warren and Brennan would probably fall in the middle. Top would be Brandeis, Clark and then O'Conner (but I'm a bit biased on putting Clark second since I went there). Based on their feedback there I wouldn't consider the Westcreek area "upper middle class."

Good luck.
How about the magnet schools and charter schools? What is the requirement to get into those schools?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2020, 05:18 PM

472 posts, read 668,529 times
It appears that Helotes is a good place except the traffic. I like corns!

Old 10-07-2020, 05:28 PM

https://www.nisd.net/schools

Magnet schools within NISD are top-notch. Trust me...I know. I am biased against Charter Schools. Steer clear. Hopefully the link will provide info. Not sure what grade youre looking at but check out the schools. Keep in mind schools are operating on a different scenario than usual and might bleed into next year. Message me if you want more info on certain magnet schools.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:25 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
How about the magnet schools and charter schools? What is the requirement to get into those schools?

Thanks!
There are an abundance of charters in the San Antonio area. The only one I would even come close to looking into for my children is KIPP. BASIS is trying to expand in the area. Charters close yearly and are for profit. NISD is a fantastic district. The only pocket of NISD I would avoid is the Jay feeder pattern. That is not in a desirable area as you defined. NISD magnets must be applied for in 8th grade. Come Arts and Health Careers are the only two I am remembering. Are there more? (Asking current NISD parents)

Old 10-07-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There are an abundance of charters in the San Antonio area. The only one I would even come close to looking into for my children is KIPP. BASIS is trying to expand in the area. Charters close yearly and are for profit. NISD is a fantastic district. The only pocket of NISD I would avoid is the Jay feeder pattern. That is not in a desirable area as you defined. NISD magnets must be applied for in 8th grade. Come Arts and Health Careers are the only two I am remembering. Are there more? (Asking current NISD parents)
Uhhh...hello!

Why steer away from the Jay area? They have a GREAT Science and Tech program. I know why! You said you went to Clark. Enough said. You dont have to live in the area to attend any of these mangent schools.

Ha! KIPP and Basis. Thats comical to say the least.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
Uhhh...hello!

Why steer away from the Jay area? They have a GREAT Science and Tech program. I know why! You said you went to Clark. Enough said. You dont have to live in the area to attend any of these mangent schools.

Ha! KIPP and Basis. Thats comical to say the least.
I haven't lived in San Antonio for five years. I don't know everything about my home district. Their campus could have a great Science and tech program. We can let OP decide if that's a good fit for their student. Based on the way they are describing their desires, I don't think the Potranco and 410 area is where they want to be nor is a Science and tech program. But, again, OP can respond.

Educational choice is a thing and I won't fault any parent in deciding on a charter. They do what they think is best for their kid. OP asked for charter advice. I provided my insight. I am a staunch supporter of public schools. I wouldn't ever consider charters. EVER.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Basis and Great hearts would be my recommendation for charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio