Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,415,503 times

Advertisements

Even with the caveat that the contract forced the increase, the council did the right thing.

As Councilman Perry was seen on the 5pm news, his voters want more police presence.

Strange , I didn't see the 200 activists protesting in Terrell Hills, Olmos Park or Alamo Heights demanding defunding.
https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...d-15464642.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 AM

216 posts, read 132,904 times
Default $2 Million Police Spending Increase = Great News Wilgar, But,

Who? 200 activists constitute a "Movement"?
The supposed " Activist Blast" of Police funding, could be considered a "firecracker Blast". They do have their rights though and I do understand their cause in cities around the country. This is a crazy world we live in now.
The video which sticks in my mind is the shooting of a black guy, in the back, by a policeman in South Carolina over a failed third brake lamp. Some should not become cops. Car brake lamps nor graffiti constitute shooting offenses and do not require the activation of the National Guard either. The young Cop is serving time.
How about the Berg's Mill protesters? These all are insignificant.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,415,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
Who? 200 activists constitute a "Movement"?
The supposed " Activist Blast" of Police funding, could be considered a "firecracker Blast". They do have their rights though and I do understand their cause in cities around the country. This is a crazy world we live in now.
The video which sticks in my mind is the shooting of a black guy, in the back, by a policeman in South Carolina over a failed third brake lamp. Some should not become cops. Car brake lamps nor graffiti constitute shooting offenses and do not require the activation of the National Guard either. The young Cop is serving time.
How about the Berg's Mill protesters? These all are insignificant.
I don't condone police misconduct at all. Neither do the good law enforcement people.

I saw some protesters SCREAMING at the City Council with no repercussions. Anyone, with no observance of decorum, should have been removed, forcibly if required.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM

Default Yes Wilgar,

This type reaction is what I would like see, too. Politically this might not be the best choice . Sure, have Cops just grab protesters by their ears and toss them out onto the sidewalk. Yes, it would be a feel good thing to do. Even video the entire event and then play it on the local Kens newsreels.
Nah. Let them get their two cents in concerning the Local Police Dept. We probably don't need to rough them up, it could make matters worse than they are now. San Antonio does not need to make the national newsreels. Let the issue die down a little, first. If disruption becomes a habit, then throw them out.
We need good law enforcement and ; I do not remember the Dept. here being so brutal. What are they protesting against around here anyway? I am sure they would like to defund the Cops until they needed one. After this they would be all in for- the Police Dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I don't condone police misconduct at all. Neither do the good law enforcement people.

I saw some protesters SCREAMING at the City Council with no repercussions. Anyone, with no observance of decorum, should have been removed, forcibly if required.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:40 PM

422 posts, read 757,999 times
The only thing I detest about the current police force in America is the militarizing of equipment and I am going to tell you where it comes from. And it's not about protecting police it's about $$$$$$

Warmongers that have not made any profits since afgh and Iraq have lobbied to get all their Mraps/m4's/vests/ etc etc out into police forces across the USA. They saw their profits plummet after the wars winded down. Before I deployed to Afgh. they laid out my equipment that I received it was like 30 feet long of equipment on the floor for EVERY soldier most of the equipment that I received got destroyed because of the conditions overthere. I was deployed 3 times to Afghanistan and every time before we left we got even more equipment now think of all the soldiers that received that same amount of equipment. You want to know where most of the money is going into police departments...
FOLLOW THE MONEY and look at the WAR mongers corporations.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Tejano,

Thanks for your military service. My own son served over there too in the Navy Spec. Forces, in Kabul.
This same thing has been going on for years. And years. There is nothing new about war profiteering. Hell, entire military bases were constructed using billions of tax dollars. Navy Carriers cost billions and billions. Airplanes certainly aren't cheap. Govt. contractors have been cleaning up for years.
Detroit made a lot of money off World War two. It is called the arsenal of Democracy because during the War mobilization; everything from helmets to tanks to airplanes to bullets was manufactured there.
After the wars wound down the sales of arms dumped, of course. This has happened many times over the last century. The police did not buy this stuff. Heck, billions of dollars of military surplus was dumped into the oceans after WW2 and Viet Nam right off of the decks of carriers. So it goes. Jeeps, arms , you name it and Americans have plunged it into the oceans after wars.
For a long time the Viet Namese peasants made sandals, yes footwear, from old jeep tire treads. The tire treads were used for the bottom of soles of those sandals. These were very durable and sometimes even were for sale here in the U.S. There will always be waste and the U.S. military is never under armed.

I can also remember there was a time when the police were armed with only 38 caliber snubnose revolvers and so, the criminals many times had the cops way outgunned. The cops lives were in danger from using old firearm technology. No more. The use of military type vests by Cops is one of the best ideas ever, I think.
Do I think the Police Depts. across the country are bristling with armaments from the expenditures of purchasing all of the military surplus of the last war? No. There is no justification for these types of purchases.
It costs a lot of money to keep criminals off the streets. It is near impossible and the cops can use all the help they can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
The only thing I detest about the current police force in America is the militarizing of equipment and I am going to tell you where it comes from. And it's not about protecting police it's about $$$$$$

Warmongers that have not made any profits since afgh and Iraq have lobbied to get all their Mraps/m4's/vests/ etc etc out into police forces across the USA. They saw their profits plummet after the wars winded down. Before I deployed to Afgh. they laid out my equipment that I received it was like 30 feet long of equipment on the floor for EVERY soldier most of the equipment that I received got destroyed because of the conditions overthere. I was deployed 3 times to Afghanistan and every time before we left we got even more equipment now think of all the soldiers that received that same amount of equipment. You want to know where most of the money is going into police departments...
FOLLOW THE MONEY and look at the WAR mongers corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio