Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM

52 posts, read 331,413 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm in the research stage of a possible relocation from CA to San Antonio. By the time I sell my home here in CA I'll have about $175,000 to $200,000 to spend on a home (I want to buy it cash). Any recommendations? I have a wife and two small boys, so safety is big and parks are pretty high on my list too. I plan to start a home-based business so commuting is not an issue, but I don't want to live more than 30 min. from SA. I would like good lot size (10,000 Sq Ft +). I don't know if SA has lakes, but it would be nice to be close to one (I love fishing). P.S. how is the weather in the summer and winter? Any info would help.

Thank You!

JJuranko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 AM

71 posts, read 292,274 times
you might be interested in the canyon lake area its about 30min away from SA but it allows you to have your lake, but also purchase a nice home as well. Medina lake is also nice but about 45min away from SA. North-west and North side SA are always good picks for moving to SA.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:47 AM

283 posts, read 1,836,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuranko View Post
Hello everyone! I'm in the research stage of a possible relocation from CA to San Antonio. By the time I sell my home here in CA I'll have about $175,000 to $200,000 to spend on a home (I want to buy it cash). Any recommendations? I have a wife and two small boys, so safety is big and parks are pretty high on my list too. I plan to start a home-based business so commuting is not an issue, but I don't want to live more than 30 min. from SA. I would like good lot size (10,000 Sq Ft +). I don't know if SA has lakes, but it would be nice to be close to one (I love fishing). P.S. how is the weather in the summer and winter? Any info would help.

Thank You!

JJuranko
Schertz, Texas ---

Just northeast of SA. Great schools, great neighborhoods, great everything!

Just past that is neighboring city of Cibolo, Texas.

Schertz and Cibolo share the school district (SCUCISD) and Cibolo houses a brand new state of the art high school. Tons of development in the Schertz/Cibolo area.
http://www.schertz.com

Races in Schertz:

* White Non-Hispanic (69.7%)
* Hispanic (19.5%)
* Black (6.6%)
* Other race (5.5%)
* Two or more races (3.4%)
* American Indian (1.2%)
* Filipino (0.5%)
Median resident age: 35.1 years
Median household income: $55,156 (year 2000)
Median house value: $111,500 (year 2000)

Races in San Antonio:

* Hispanic (58.7%)
* White Non-Hispanic (31.8%)
* Other race (19.3%)
* Black (6.8%)
* Two or more races (3.7%)
* American Indian (1.3%)
Median resident age: 31.7 years
Median household income: $36,214 (year 2000)
Median house value: $68,800 (year 2000)

Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 32,832 times
Default Weather in SA

Our weather;

December through February tend to be 50 - 60's
March begins to warm up to mid to high 70's
It will be 90 by Memorial weekend
possible 100 degree days in mid-June through September 30th
Normally around 80 till November 1st
November is usually cool and in the mid-70's

But in 2006, we had so many days in the mid to high 90's, even in April. So you just never know. We have had very little rain this year, as we are still in Stage 1 water restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks Everyone! How is the traffic in and around SA? Lets say I choose Canyon Lake, what would my commute be to SA in the morning or evening rush hour? What is the weather like in the winter? Does it snow? What should I figure for property taxes? Again, thank you all for your comments.

Thank you,

jjuranko

Old 12-26-2006, 04:40 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
Best neighborhoods under 200K? Well, IF you can find anything under 200K in Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, or Olmos Park, I would recommend those, the absolute best neighborhoods of San Antonio. The houses are generally very high, but they will NEVER depreciate over the years like all those Toll Bros. and KB pieces of junk. You can still buy a small fixer-upper (albeit livable) in these areas, IF you're diligent, but you can always renovate later, and still have a house that's worth something in the years to come, AND, most importantly, live in areas that will never deteriorate, just get better over time.

If, however, you want to buy in an area that will definately explode in price in the next 5-10 years, try Manhke Park, yeah, sure, it's fairly junky, but that central SA location is going to explode wildly with the revamped Pearl Brewary and all the planned ultra-ritzy highrises and high-end shops that will someday line Broadway, etc...Don't move to those flavor-of-the-month 'hoods, these areas just become slums down the line (look at Bandera Road, the Ingram area, etc.), think "concentric circles."

I could go on and on about this, and where to buy, etc., but I'm beat after all this X-Mas hubub.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
I wouldn't use all 200k you cleared from a house sale to pay cash for another one. Put 30-40 percent down on a nice place inside Loop 410.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:36 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
Schertz, Cibolo, Universal City are all excellent for what you are looking for, they're also all near each other in far northeast SA. Lots of eating options and shopping options.

Shopping options include:

Rolling Oaks Mall
The Forum
The Fountains at Live Oak (under construction)

All three amount to nearly 3 million sq. ft. of retail.

Last edited by 210; 12-26-2006 at 11:44 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Default Thanks for the info!

Thanks all! I have written down all of the posted suggestions. My next step is to take some time and visit some of the places you folks recommended. Thank you all again for your help.

jjuranko

Old 12-27-2006, 08:23 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Hello,
I live at Medina Lake, it is nice but it is quickly becoming populated. I would suggest to anyone moving to this area who didn't want to actually be in the city to check out Boerne, Texas. It is out IH10 West about 20/30 minutes from San Antonio. Also, as mentioned before, Canyon Lake is nice, out Hwy 281 North. Also Spring Branch (very close to Canyon Lake) all of these are nice places and still close to San Antonio.
These areas would offer you some acreage with a home. The only way to go, in my opinion.

Good luck on your search.
KIM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio