Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 PM

31 posts, read 41,568 times

Advertisements

So I recently went to rolling oaks mall to find out that recently a good amount of stores have left/went out of business/ or are currently going out of business. The same goes for eateries as well. The stores/ eateries that have just left for no reason are: Kay Jewelers, Game Stop, T-Mobile, Halmark, vila pizza, and marble slab. The only store that has gone out of business and closed shop recently was Charlotte Russe and Things Remembered (which was once a retail store but then become just a little kiosk). One store that is currently going out of business and in the middle of liquidation is Payless. Other stores like James Avery, Radio Shack (bankrupt), Aeropostale (closed a handful of stores), Sprint, an IBC Bank, and security service (relocated) have left the mall in the past few years. There are a good amount of empty stores, and the new stores that do fill up any vacancies are just small businesses and small churches which I respect but don't really grab the attention of shoppers like a Vans or Champs store which this mall doesn't have. They did however build a pretty massive H&M store which took up the space of the old luby's and some other small stores a year ago which I think gave the mall some life support. With the unknown fate of Sears ( which is one of the 4 anchor stores) and also JC Penney, how long do y'all think Rolling Oaks Mall will last? To me, it looks like it's going down the same path as Windsor Park Mall and will probably be gone withing 10 years unless they bring some exciting well known tenants to the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 01:39 PM

6,499 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Yes, if it is strictly retail-centric versus entertainment-centric, it will be dead soon.

Does the mall have a movie theater or non food court restaurant that serves full menu/alcohol. Is there anything to do in the mall other than shop?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
I give it 2 years, max. It's never been what they wanted or expected it to be. Now with "lifestyle centers " being the preferred shopping destination, I think it's pretty obvious that Rolling Oaks is barely breathing. Sad, but like we old people who need to hurry up and die off, so do our old ideas and haunts.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
The corporations behind mall anchor tenants are dying off around the country. If there aren't new anchor stores to replace them when the anchors die, the small stores can't survive either.

If you think Rolling Oaks is in a bad way, you should see the mostly-dead mall in the city where I am now. It has 2 empty anchor spaces and a lot of empty spaces for small stores. At least the food court at Rolling Oaks is still thriving.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:49 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,657 times
It will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

The store lineup has not changed much in the past 5 years. They do need more restaurants though. Heck Chick-Fil-A added a drive through to the mall somehow.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Rolling Oaks has seemed like it was dying before, with a lot of empty spaces, and then it managed to come back. I don't go there often but it's never seemed busy, like Ingram Park mall does.

I think shopping malls were popular when people were less likely to have central air conditioning. They could spend a day there, shopping, then having lunch, then catching a movie. Now nobody really has to go to the mall to cool off, and it's more of a hassle having to carry all your stuff back across the mall to your car than it is to go to a store where you can park right in front.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:20 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

The store lineup has not changed much in the past 5 years. They do need more restaurants though. Heck Chick-Fil-A added a drive through to the mall somehow.
You just drive to the curb and they have 2 kids out there sitting under an umbrella. It's not that serious. LOL Burger Fi went in to the food court but honestly, that mall is weak and seems half abandoned already.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 PM

814 posts, read 675,953 times
I've visited Rolling Oaks a couple of times a year for the past 5 years. Week day afternoons. It's fun to go to the big stores and see no one else shopping. Private shopping experiences are nice. The big dropoff has been in the past 3 years.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

That brings flashbacks of the mall chase scene in "The Blues Brothers"

Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Rolling Oaks seems to be following the path of the former Crossroads (now Wonderland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio