Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:51 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,740 times

Advertisements

This highway is PATHETIC!

From the intersection of I35 and 1604 to the intersection of Bandera and 1604 is fine.

But

From 1604 past Bandera, such as Braun Rd., and Shaenfield Rd sucks. I mean, 1604 goes from a regular highway to a freaking regular road with traffic lights at those intersections and causes a huge back up no matter the time of the day!

Then at 1604 and Culebra is is normal again but sure enough right past that at 1604 and hwy 151, its a freaking traffic light again!

Then past that all the way it goes to 1 lane each way with traffic lights!

Moronic!

And sure, they are expanding that to two lanes each way but there will still be traffic lights!

These people are morons!

Do they now realize that we need it to be a real highways with overpasses,NOT TRAFFIC lights!?

Sorry for venting, but the traffic is already ridiculous and it will only get worse!

The city needs to recognize this and make 1604 a real highway all the way around WITHOUT TRAFFIC LIGHTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 05:58 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,059 times
No doubt that there are serious traffice issues. Also no doubt that it is in the city's plans to do something about it. The real issue is timing and most likely... funds.

Traffic during rush hour in those areas rivals what NYC traffic is like on some scale.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
No doubt that there are serious traffice issues. Also no doubt that it is in the city's plans to do something about it. The real issue is timing and most likely... funds.

Traffic during rush hour in those areas rivals what NYC traffic is like on some scale.
Plans are not enough.

We need action!

Now!

I don't care if we have to get toll roads, I am all for it.

Just make the highway a real honest highway and stop using traffic signals. All that does is make it more congested.

This is just ridiculous!

We need action and we need it now!

Old 12-18-2006, 06:05 AM

116 posts, read 472,465 times
I attended a meeting of the Westcreek homeowner's association when the 4-lane expansion started. There was a local politician there along with TXDOT reps.

Supposedly (consider the source) our side of 1604 is scheduled to become a true freeway about 10 years down the road. The current widening is a step in that direction; once it's finished, it would just be a matter of changing intersections from stop lights to flyovers. Sure, it would be easier and make more sense to do it all at once (widen *and* build flyovers), but the money just isn't there. San Antonio has always been a ******* stepchild and most of the money goes to DFW and Houston, in an unfair proportion when you take into account where the tax dollars come from, but that's politicians for you.

I agree with you, but I'm happy at least that we got 4 lanes for the time being. Now if they'd just OPEN THEM UP!!

Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
This is less a governmental funding issue as it is one for the developers and the city/county. These projects should not have been approved in outlying areas without assurances of improved infrastructure. People complaining about traffic along the formerly rural part of the 1604 have only themselves to blame.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
This is less a governmental funding issue as it is one for the developers and the city/county. These projects should not have been approved in outlying areas without assurances of improved infrastructure. People complaining about traffic along the formerly rural part of the 1604 have only themselves to blame.
Whatever the reason, it MUST be taken care of ASAP!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 AM

116 posts, read 472,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Think about it, that's kind of a "chicken and egg" scenario. Don't develop unless we have assurances of improved infrastructure... but why are they going to improve the infrastructure without the development to require it? How many politicians do you think would commit tax dollars (and therefore their reputations) to improving infrastructure because something might be built somewhere? Granted it's a mess, but until people build, the infrastructure isn't going to be built.

Just my humble opinion, wouldn't surprise me if some PhD comes along and tears me to shreds

Old 12-26-2006, 10:15 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOregon View Post
I attended a meeting of the Westcreek homeowner's association when the 4-lane expansion started. There was a local politician there along with TXDOT reps.

Supposedly (consider the source) our side of 1604 is scheduled to become a true freeway about 10 years down the road. The current widening is a step in that direction; once it's finished, it would just be a matter of changing intersections from stop lights to flyovers. Sure, it would be easier and make more sense to do it all at once (widen *and* build flyovers), but the money just isn't there. San Antonio has always been a ******* stepchild and most of the money goes to DFW and Houston, in an unfair proportion when you take into account where the tax dollars come from, but that's politicians for you.

I agree with you, but I'm happy at least that we got 4 lanes for the time being. Now if they'd just OPEN THEM UP!!
I actually think Houston and DFW produce more money for the state. We have a higher GDP.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Whatever the reason, it MUST be taken care of ASAP!
Unless you or someone you know is able to donate 700 million - 1 billion dollars at the drop of a hat, it just doesn't happen like that.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Unless you or someone you know is able to donate 700 million - 1 billion dollars at the drop of a hat, it just doesn't happen like that.
Raise our taxes $150 dollars a year for the next 2 years.

That would do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio