Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM

529 posts, read 2,712,888 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use one of those old fashioned manuel push reel mowers?
How is it for you?
I had one a few years ago and it seemed like it tore the grass instead of cutting it. But I'm thinking about getting another one.
I have a house for sale with a big yard with thick St Augustine grass. I was going to leave my good mower there. And use the reel mower at my new house that has a smaller yard and thin Bermuda grass.
I'm getting tired of lugging my mower back and forth between the two houses. And I figured getting another really cheap mower would be cheaper than paying someone to do my lawn at the house that is on the market.

I would really like anothe electric mower (that's what I have at the other house) but I don't want to pay full price for one. Anybody seen one of those at a thrift shop or something?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,413,882 times
my neighbor down the street has one and he has really muscular legs from running up and down the lawn..
The quality it produces is nowhere near gas mower quality, but it is definitely as "green" as you can get. Have you sharpened the blades? That will cause tearing and ripping and I think it should be done at least once/year.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,828,325 times
We have one. It's actually a Craftsman we got from QVC. DH (who is not a well-built muscular guy, but does stay fit) loves it because "it doesn't leave the lines in the yard where the gas mower did". I know he's weird.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,026,166 times
I have one and love it. I would'nt use it on a large area ( acre) but it's good for the smaller yard. I love to get out there on a pretty morning and just walk with it. it's easy to push, never runs out of gas and it's easy to start!!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM

27 posts, read 117,465 times
I've been using one for 3 years now and it works well as long as you keep the blades sharpened (once a year) and not let the lawn grow too long.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,563,577 times
We have an ancient one - along with a ton of ancient gardening tools and ladders that were left in the garage of this house when we bought it. We have used it on occasion, but we bought a power mower as the area was just too big to make it practical.

Despite it's ancient status and lack of sharpening, it works really well. I can't bring myself to give it away, though I primarily use the power mower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio