Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into rubber mulch for my yard. We use a great deal of mulch, and I would like to convert to rubber, as buying truckloads and spreading has become much less of a joy than it used to be

I know Sam's and Wal-Mart both carry bags...any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Speaking of mulch, as I drove home today heading south on 1604, you would have swore they were GIVING IT AWAY at the Fertile Garden place just off of 1604....there had to be about 50 trucks in line trying to get in and load up!!! Guess everyone has been bitten by the yard bug with spring here!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
While I sympathize with the desire to eliminate an annual chore, rubber mulch won't do anything positive for your plants. Wood mulch breaks down and provides nutrients and organic material to the soil as it degrades. The bigger pieces in rubber mulch are more likely to be caught and thrown by a lawnmower, too.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:17 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
There's another kind of "rubber"--I forgot the specifics, but it's organic and breaks down. Sorry i could not help more.

Personally, i'd stay aware from anything that is not already created by mother nature. Also, don't make an "ant hill" when mulching your trees---I see it all the time. that's bad!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
While I sympathize with the desire to eliminate an annual chore, rubber mulch won't do anything positive for your plants. Wood mulch breaks down and provides nutrients and organic material to the soil as it degrades. The bigger pieces in rubber mulch are more likely to be caught and thrown by a lawnmower, too.

Well, right now, we have about 3-5 inches of mulch down under landscape fabric, and another 3 inches on top of it. So the mulch above the fabric won't really reach the soil, anyway. My main goal with mulch is to cool the soil, and retain moisture. Plus look good.

In order to mulch my whole yard, I would need about 20-25 cubic yards, which is 1 and 1/2 trucks full. If it were a small area, no problem. But, it's a back-breaking, time-consuming chore!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM

126 posts, read 425,075 times
I put the rubber mulch in both my front and back yard last year and I'm very impressed. I tried rubber stuff from Sam's club and the more expensive Dupont brand from Lowes in my back yard.

The dupont brand looks more realistic (finer texture) but it seems to get blown around more easily by the leaf blower. The rubber stuff has held in place very well but it has a coarser look, both of them have the same color as they did when i got it.

It does help the plants by retaining moisture but offer so nutrients so you should miracle grow ocassionally. I used it without landscape fabric and they both seem to do a good job inhibiting weeds by themselves. Its pretty expensive but at least you don't have to worry about doing it again... ever!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Speaking of mulch, as I drove home today heading south on 1604, you would have swore they were GIVING IT AWAY at the Fertile Garden place just off of 1604....there had to be about 50 trucks in line trying to get in and load up!!! Guess everyone has been bitten by the yard bug with spring here!
Yeah, we noticed that too! What was going on there?

Cheers! M2

Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
I put the rubber mulch in both my front and back yard last year and I'm very impressed. I tried rubber stuff from Sam's club and the more expensive Dupont brand from Lowes in my back yard.

The dupont brand looks more realistic (finer texture) but it seems to get blown around more easily by the leaf blower. The rubber stuff has held in place very well but it has a coarser look, both of them have the same color as they did when i got it.

It does help the plants by retaining moisture but offer so nutrients so you should miracle grow ocassionally. I used it without landscape fabric and they both seem to do a good job inhibiting weeds by themselves. Its pretty expensive but at least you don't have to worry about doing it again... ever!

Hope this helps!
I did take the plunge and buy the Rubber Stuff from Sam's today. I will be spreading it tomorrow, after I pull/spray the weeds. I like the nugget shape of the mulch. Normally, we used a single shred cedar, so I am liking this new, darker color...

Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 AM

529 posts, read 2,710,892 times
How does the rubber mulch eliminate buying truckloads and spreading? Isn't it the same thing only rubber? Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I'm looking into rubber mulch for my yard. We use a great deal of mulch, and I would like to convert to rubber, as buying truckloads and spreading has become much less of a joy than it used to be

I know Sam's and Wal-Mart both carry bags...any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
How does the rubber mulch eliminate buying truckloads and spreading? Isn't it the same thing only rubber? Just curious
Because it doesn't break down, and doesn't need to be freshened (because it ratins it's color, supposedly for 15 years). Therfore, it's a do-it-once job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio