Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,107,074 times

Advertisements

We do. Still nowhere near the level of Houston. Sugarland just has a very busy, vibrant vibe. I've not seen it like that here but please enlighten me if there is such an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 5,335 times
Thank you for the recommendations. We did a drive thru of Schertz and did not venture into it enough perhaps to see the new developments. We live in a older settled community in Richmond close to the new growth so we were looking for something similiar. What about the demographics. I have read online but on a daily basis is the city pretty diverse. In Sugar Land and Richmond its definitely like New York at little of this and a little of that not dominant ethnic group. I know there is a strong Mexican population in SA however are kids ostracized at school for being Black or Salvadorian. The kids have not been in schools or living environment that is homogenous . Just curious about that as well....

Old 05-02-2018, 04:19 PM

4,455 posts, read 5,377,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestarbutterfly View Post
Thank you for the recommendations. We did a drive thru of Schertz and did not venture into it enough perhaps to see the new developments. We live in a older settled community in Richmond close to the new growth so we were looking for something similiar. What about the demographics. I have read online but on a daily basis is the city pretty diverse. In Sugar Land and Richmond its definitely like New York at little of this and a little of that not dominant ethnic group. I know there is a strong Mexican population in SA however are kids ostracized at school for being Black or Salvadorian. The kids have not been in schools or living environment that is homogenous . Just curious about that as well....
The Schertz area has a mix of people and it will not be completely homogeneous.

https://schools.texastribune.org/dis...rsal-city-isd/

The district is 12% Black, 40% White, and 40% Hispanic. (Hispanic is not all Mexican)

Old 05-02-2018, 06:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,127,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestarbutterfly View Post

You could take advantage of the site that you are on. city-data.com has a lot of demographic data on the site if you just query it.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 AM

I have read the demographics and numbers online. I am looking for a real perspective. The numbers dont tell if people are neighbors or if it is one ethnic group living on one side of town and one on the other. It doesnt tell how certain ethnic groups are treated by others . So kinda hoping for some information..Personally as an adult I have lived many places and veered into unknown cities with less research...now there are children I am curious for a realistic point of view on the" most diverse" areas of san antonio.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,107,074 times
San Antonio is a very welcoming city. I honestly don't think you'll have any problems with your kids at school or out in public. However, I'm a white, middle class, middle aged woman so I probably have no right these days to offer this opinion.

Our neighbors two doors down ( in the suburbs and roughly 5 miles from Schertz) are a white lesbian professional couple who have adopted 2 African American boys and they all seem to be thriving. The kids are always in the cul de sac playing with the other kids. They're all *just kids." I realize this is one scenario only but I truly believe that your situation will be no different.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 AM

Where you live is the Schertz-Cibolo area? How is it near Stone Oak or the North East side of SA? Which one is more diverse with better schools ie. Arts & music programs, strong academics, no uniform policies, after school clubs.

Thank you all for letting me pick your brain and sharing your experiences

Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 13,769,777 times
Stone Oak is in northeast ISD. The schools are probably more rich academically (diverse). The two high schools in the area are Reagan and Johnson. You an always research their schools via their websites for activities. Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City has Steele and Clemens High Schools. Steele is newer (Wikipedia says 2005) and is an amazing football school. Clemens is older and is great football wise too. Check their websites for academics. Both could be options, but, as mentioned before, your budget may price you out of the Stone Oak area. Have you searched zillow or any other MLS listing site in SA for houses in your budget? You would see very quickly where you can live in the city.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,282,169 times
Try 78259. That area feeds into Johnson HS and the middle and elementary schools are very good. That area is directly east of 281 and north of 1604. It is across 281 from Stone Oak. I can’t compare directly to other schools as my experience is with my children’s schools, but in person (as in my physically being in the schools rather than reading demographics somewhere) the Stone Oak schools are diverse FOR San Antonio. I believe the Johnson area would most likely be similar.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 AM

392 posts, read 751,413 times
Unless you go up into a ghetto, you really don't need to be worrying about the homogeneity of the neighborhoods in metro San Antonio. It isn't like normal, un-ghetto people are going to ostracize you or your kids... It's not Vidor from say, before the 2000s.

You're only going to worry yourself or misinterpret things if you're looking THAT hard for some kind of ethnic mosaic. San Antonio is San Antonio. It's the largest Tejano city there is. The people are friendly. You'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio