Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 41,635 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to San Antonio this summer. We are currently torn between Alamo Ranch and Redbird Ranch. We have toured both areas and loved them both. We've learned that there will be a new Elementary and Middle School built within Alamo Ranch. Are there any members here whom live in Redbird Ranch? If so, how are the current schools that are zoned to this area and are there plans to construct new schools for this subdivision also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman View Post
My wife and I will be relocating to San Antonio this summer. We are currently torn between Alamo Ranch and Redbird Ranch. We have toured both areas and loved them both. We've learned that there will be a new Elementary and Middle School built within Alamo Ranch. Are there any members here whom live in Redbird Ranch? If so, how are the current schools that are zoned to this area and are there plans to construct new schools for this subdivision also?
I don't live in Redbird Ranch; however, you can check the NISD web site to learn more about the schools.

Redbird Ranch is not scheduled to have an elementary school, but Steven's Ranch down the road is. Your children will probably go to Luna Middle School on Grosenbacher.

Schools : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,593 times
I don't believe there are any plans for new schools in the subdivision.

The DR Horton web site lists Ott ES, Luna MS, and Stevens HS as the schools for the area.

Ott is currently capped, overflow students are at Galm ES.
They are building a new elementary at Stevens Ranch that will likely be the elementary for your area as well. Profile : "Stevens Ranch area #1" : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238 it doesn't open until 2009.

I don't recall seeing any new construction for middle schools so that will remain Luna.

Stevens HS is capped, overflow students go to Taft HS.
The boundaries haven't been set yet but Brennan HS Profile : Brennan : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238
opens in 2010 and will likely be the one for the area.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM

64 posts, read 180,244 times
We just moved to Redbird Ranch and were told that the 'Stevens Ranch' elementary school would be where our kids would go. If I'm right about the location, the school is within walking distance of our home, though not in the neighborhood. We were also told there are tentative plans to build a middle school and high school in that same area, however, those haven't been approved yet.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 AM

9 posts, read 41,635 times
How susceptible is the 1604/potranco area to flooding? Does anyone know if any subdivisions within this area are in flood zones.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,593 times
There are a couple of areas:

BRWM (http://www.bexarfloodfacts.org/maps_flood_map.php - broken link)

Potranco just west (~30 yds) of 1604 floods.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM

53 posts, read 164,551 times
STXMAN--

I just closed on a home in the Redbird Ranch community and my fiance' and I both love it! We were in the same boat as you are now with respect to trying to decide between Alamo Ranch and Redbird Ranch. We were looking at the Marquis series of homes for DR HORTON. Each community has it's positives and negatives. In our evaluation, we decided against Alamo Ranch because the homes are more expensive for one, the traffic is much worse with Culebra outside of 1604 under construction (expansion) and the huge shopping center going up. In addition, the only outlet out of the community is to 1604 which is terrible during rush hours. With Redbird Ranch you can go to 1604 or use 211. I work for the government and I leave my house, hit 211 and then 90 and bam, I'm there in 20 minutes going 70 the whole way. Again, it depends on your outlook and circumstances. Redbird Ranch is about 6 miles outside of loop 1604 and for some people that's too far. However, Redbird Ranch probably won't get annexed by San Antonio anytime soon and you can bet Alamo Ranch will get annexed sooner which means higher property taxes. Right now the tax rate is 2.0475%. There are supposed to be two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school built as part of the Stevens Ranch community which will be right next to the Redbird Ranch one but as of this moment, kids would go to Ott Elementary, Luna Middle School and Stevens HS.

As far as the community goes, Redbird Ranch currently offers a workout facility, junior olympic pool, kiddie pool and will be constructing a tennis court, basketball court and a disc golf course. The community is very quiet and peaceful which we both loved. This is in no way a slam to Alamo but we preferred Redbird when comparing the two. If you want more specifics, let me know and I can go into much greater detail about why we chose Redbird. Hope this helps!

Jason

Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 PM

107 posts, read 424,237 times
We also live in RBR, and our daughter will start the new school in Stevens Ranch next year (she will be in kindergarten). I believe it is called Langley. I wouldn't exactly say it is within walking distance--at least not for us, but it is a short drive. We drive by it often to watch the progress. Our neighbors have kids in the middle school and they love it. I have heard mixed things about Ott, but mostly because it is so crowded. The new elementary school should help that.

We love it here too. Great neighbors and everyone is very social. We also looked at Alamo Ranch, but decided on RBR for the same reasons as jasonapr78.

They did decide to nix the disc golf course. Sales are down due to the economy. At least that is what our builder told us last month.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM

71 posts, read 205,686 times
We looked at Redbird Ranch and Alamo Ranch before deciding on something decent.

We found there to be absolutely no issue with traffic exiting Alamo Ranch at any time of the day. The backup on 1604 seems to center on cars trying to get on to 151 which is not an option when leaving AR parkway. AR Parkway to 1604 then either to wiseman->151 or straight down to 90 was always a clear shot.

Commute time to Lackland (area of the BX) was 22 minutes, maybe 24 with traffic.

Commute time to everything else non-work you might need (Lowes, Target, HEB, Walmart, Chick-Fil-A, Olive Garden, Best Buy) is 5 minutes. There are plenty of houses within walking distance of the brand new elementary school. Some of the community centers/pools are exceptional. The David Weekly Preserve pool should be open by now and the Pulte pool looked like something form a water park.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,733 times
Mu husband and I are relocating to San Antonio from New York and we are currently looking at Redbird Ranch and trying to get as much info as we can via the internet until our house is sold up here and we an move. Can anyone tell me if there will be a road other than Potranco of course to connect Redbird Ranch and Stevens Ranch. I'm wondering how easy it will be to get out of the subdivision to drive my kids to Langley ES if there is just the one exit for all of us to use onto Potranco? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio