Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,843,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
The only short-lived Weissman restaurant I can remember is Minnie's. Given the building is still on blocks, it's hard to say what was the real driver. What other of his restaurants have closed quickly?
It was not a matter of how quickly his (or any other local celebrity chef like Dady) locations close. Point is, these type of chefs do close down their joints when they feel the restaurants run their course.

Although I asked as a joke, I really do wonder how long it will stay open or if he will have to close other locations to support this place.

I know Sandbar closed recently although it had a long run like La Reve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:55 PM

4,460 posts, read 5,398,423 times
Dough

Dough is moving into Hemisphere Par's Yanaguana Gardens are for a second San Antonio location.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:30 PM

19 posts, read 24,375 times
The new Urban Bricks Pizza on Potranco (near 151) is having their grand opening this Saturday.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:19 PM

89 posts, read 98,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It was not a matter of how quickly his (or any other local celebrity chef like Dady) locations close. Point is, these type of chefs do close down their joints when they feel the restaurants run their course.

Although I asked as a joke, I really do wonder how long it will stay open or if he will have to close other locations to support this place.

I know Sandbar closed recently although it had a long run like La Reve.
"chefs do close down their joints when they feel the restaurants run their course."
This is them saving face.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetowguy View Post
"chefs do close down their joints when they feel the restaurants run their course."
This is them saving face.
Maybe sometimes that is the case but I doubt always.

A co worker talked me into eating at Lüke (another one of those celebrity chef restaurants) a few days ago downtown, for the prices they charge...I am surprised they stay open. The gumbo was really good I have to admit but $7 for a small coffee cup size isn't going to have me going back. Overall my lunch was $45 and that isn't including tip. Service was top notch so no complaint there.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 896,481 times
Quote:
Maybe sometimes that is the case but I doubt always.

A co worker talked me into eating at Lüke (another one of those celebrity chef restaurants) a few days ago downtown, for the prices they charge...I am surprised they stay open. The gumbo was really good I have to admit but $7 for a small coffee cup size isn't going to have me going back. Overall my lunch was $45 and that isn't including tip. Service was top notch so no complaint there.

Luke used to be great, but Besh didn't keep coming back to check up on his baby. It was local management, careless buyers and an uninterested wait staff that killed this place.

Luke in New Orleans, the original, is still a brilliant meal. Besh regularly checks in. It makes a difference.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:39 AM

424 posts, read 612,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Luke used to be great, but Besh didn't keep coming back to check up on his baby. It was local management, careless buyers and an uninterested wait staff that killed this place.

Luke in New Orleans, the original, is still a brilliant meal. Besh regularly checks in. It makes a difference.
You quoted a comment that said Luke had good food and good service yet you reply with saying poor wait staff and local management killed the place. A place that is still alive.

Your reading comprehension isn't too great it seems.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,986,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
You quoted a comment that said Luke had good food and good service yet you reply with saying poor wait staff and local management killed the place. A place that is still alive.

Your reading comprehension isn't too great it seems.
Looks like it's dead to him. Inferences are part of reading comprehension.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Looks like it's dead to him. Inferences are part of reading comprehension.
Funny thing is that only 3 tables were occupied when I walked in at 12pm and 5 tables when I left around 1:30pm. Many tables were not used so I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it is dead. (Yes, I really counted...)

Like I said though, the food was good but I can get good food elsewhere for less. They sell you coke in 6 oz bottles for $3.75 each....I felt like I was in Japan again.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,986,353 times
Quote:
Funny thing is that only 3 tables were occupied when I walked in at 12pm and 5 tables when I left around 1:30pm. Many tables were not used so I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it is dead. (Yes, I really counted...)

Like I said though, the food was good but I can get good food elsewhere for less. They sell you coke in 6 oz bottles for $3.75 each....I felt like I was in Japan again.
I live less then a mile from Luke. I have been many times, but I haven't been in about year for all the reasons stated above. Hopefully Besh get's that place in check again. They still have a decent happy hour, but the food options and drink prices aren't nearly as good as they were a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio