Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times

Advertisements

Once again L210 we find ourselves in agreement here. IF, these whales are not in danger of becoming extinct they do need to be kept in captivity for the sake of profit. I do not need to see a Whale ...or a kangaroo that badly.
I will never patronize Seaworld. Ever. There is no cause great enough to legitimize watching these creatures of the deep sea, stolen from their environment, kept captive, perform circus tricks for a profit.
Noticeably, whale dorsal fins collapse over to one side from the inactivity of being out of their natural environment. This fin collapse is the sign of an unhealthy or injured whale.
Let tourists be satisfied with seeing the Alamo. These are not beasts of burden which work alongside of humans but creatures completely out of their element. Turn them loose, look for money elsewhere.
Maybe a dog and pony show.
Let the Seaworld workers ride around, waving to the crowds from the backs of Great White Sharks in their salty pools. It would be more entertaining and make the show all the more equitable for all.
I bet it would stop.
At Seaworld- All act as though they are having a great time, smiling and waving to the crowds- all but the whales. I, for one, do not believe the Whales are smiling back.
Is it all pretty inhuman? Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Does the average person really need to see a whale up close? There are many animals most humans will never get to see up close. The populous can learn more about whales in the classroom or from a book than at SeaWorld. SeaWorld is mostly entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
It is the only way to study and learn about them? Seriously?
The question is specious. Of course it's not the only way. But some people will never travel to an ocean in their lifetime, let alone take a cruise to a whale habitat. For those people, Sea World may be their only opportunity to see whales.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM

1,038 posts, read 877,398 times
But people don't NEED to see whales up close. That's an entertainment choice, not a research choice.

Marine biologists have already made it clear that Seaworld serves no major purpose for breakthrough animal research. It's a theme park run by the Blackstone Group, a faceless private equity firm.

Blackfish or not, Seaworld has continuing issues that are going to hopefully bankrupt the company.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,375 times
You hope Seaworld goes bankrupt; what happens to the whales and other animals in their care? They go live somewhere else, probably with worse treatment?
Release perhaps? What of the animals that were born in captivity? The likelyhood of those surviving in the wild is very low.

Screw them though, as long as Seaworld gets what's coming to them right?

Old 12-23-2015, 12:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,729,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
But people don't NEED to see whales up close. That's an entertainment choice, not a research choice.

Marine biologists have already made it clear that Seaworld serves no major purpose for breakthrough animal research. It's a theme park run by the Blackstone Group, a faceless private equity firm.

Blackfish or not, Seaworld has continuing issues that are going to hopefully bankrupt the company.
We'll just ignore the thousands of animal lives Sea World has rehabilitated and returned to the wild.

So what, the Blackstone Group owns them. Your comment about them was just an attempt to advance the propaganda. Most major corporations are owned by faceless people. Whether their business practices are good or bad is rarely dependent on who owns them.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:09 PM

All I hear is white noise at the moment. My apologies.

Seaworld will do themselves in, that's clear from their downward spiral over the last couple years. I don't have to hope for anything... They'll load the gun and pull the trigger without my help.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,375 times
Their stock has been trending upwards, that suggests you don't know what you're talking about...

Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,729,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
All I hear is white noise at the moment. My apologies.
Because without "Blackfish says..." you have no argument.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Their stock has been trending upwards, that suggests you don't know what you're talking about...

Relating stock to overall success is like definitively saying you're going to make your fortune at the blackjack table.

Please don't equate recent trends to firm, long-term growth. Seaworld ain't on the upswing.

As for my feelings on the rest, this about sums it up for me perfectly...

I have no doubt the trainers and veterinarians care for these animals deeply, and do everything in their power to see them treated well. The problem is the context in which they're doing their best: captivity. The conditions in captivity do not in any way resemble the wales' natural habitat. Despite the best efforts of the handlers, these are simply not animals that can survive long in captivity, and do not belong there.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
People also say domestic cats in the house is cruel. Calm down whale lovers we have plenty of whales out in the ocean and plenty roaming kitty's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio