Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,610 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I've read the relocation "READ FIRST" documents, as well as a lot of the threads. I love how helpful everyone is in this group!

I have a few questions though, and would like your opinion. First, a little bit on our family, to give you a better picture of our situation.

Me and my husband are in our 30s, we have two boys, one 3 and one 1. We're relocating from TN, as soon as our current home sells. We are into a more suburban kind of life, but it would be nice to be within a reasonable driving distance to places to go out to dinner, or drinks or something every so often. We have family in San Antonio, some in Alamo Heights Area, some in Stone Oak, and some closer to where we would be, around Six Flags /UTSA area.

Now, we're trying to decide between a Boerne or Helotes to build. New Braunfels is also a choice, but the other two are our top ones.

In Boerne, it seems like the only area left to buy land in our budget right now, is an area called "The Crossing at Kenberg" and it's kind of far out, but kids still go to Boerne ISD, which is my preferred option. Bad part is that it's 45 min. without traffic from most areas I would visit in SA. Is it worth it?? Anyone has any experience in this specific community? Since we may have time before we move, I may luck out and find a posting for some land closer to the 78015 zip code, vs the 78006.

In Helotes, I am way closer, schools look nice, there's actually a lot more to choose from (land wise) in our budget, but I'm not sure schools are as great as the ones in Boerne. Although, it does look like a really nice area, and it's way closer to all our family in SA.

Anyone have any opinions on this? What's your personal preference and why? Both look like fantastic areas, and it's hard to chose without actually being there and driving around the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
I think it depends on how attached you are to being near the amenities. If you find that you don't want frozen items to thaw out by the time you return from the grocery, then you stay out of Boerne.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:32 AM

448 posts, read 919,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I think it depends on how attached you are to being near the amenities. If you find that you don't want frozen items to thaw out by the time you return from the grocery, then you stay out of Boerne.
Huh?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,526 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? There is an HEB Plus on Bandera Rd. in Boerne. Unless you live a significant distance out of town how is this an issue?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Technology has come a long way over the years......you put your perishable purchases in a cooler (or an insulated bag), toss it in the car and drive the stuff home.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 AM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Technology has come a long way over the years......you put your perishable purchases in a cooler (or an insulated bag), toss it in the car and drive the stuff home.

LOL, I was going to say that unless you live right next to HEB, your frozen stuff is going to thaw before you get home in the Texas Summer heat.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
LOL, I was going to say that unless you live right next to HEB, your frozen stuff is going to thaw before you get home in the Texas Summer heat.
See? I saved you.......where's my reward?!??? Even us ol' hillbillies done learned how to use some of this stuff for things other than keepin' the Lone Star cold!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
I'd choose Boerne over Helotes, simply for the distance from San Antonio. Helotes is not very exciting to me anyway. I'd even go further out than Boerne if I was buying land right now.

Oh, and buy a YETI for your frozen goods and slap the bumper sticker on your car. It apparently drives people crazy.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,610 times
hahahahaha I love all of these responses.

I currently have a bunch of freezer bags for when I go out grocery shopping, but I may get something like a YETI.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
If you can deal with current and future growth,,,Go for Boerne, it has a lot of suburbia and nice events already 'built in', and is quite close / central to many real fun places.

If done properly, you could sell easily when you want to return to the city, or head for the hills.

You MUST buy right.

I bought my last Hill Country place sight unseen while working Thailand. I don't recommend that! but the price / time was right. It has been a few months more work that I anticipated, but is turning out very nice! At your age, time (and energy) is on your side. Our boys we 18 months apart and when they were 5&7 we moved to Asia, later to an Island in BC Canada. They had a really good time. Ironically, they remember, and are most endeared to our U-pick Fruit Farm and raising laying hens...

To do it over... More 4-H, more backpacking, and a lot less 'structure'!

Kids are resilient 25+ yrs later and they are doing well, & have yet to go berserk / have a rebellious stage. ! (subject to change any minute!)

BTW: I pack my cold food supplies in Bourne HEB made tortillas so they can survive the 40 more minutes out into the hills.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-27-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio