Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM

162 posts, read 539,577 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling the mall will end up being not much more than a glorified flea market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHen View Post
I hate to say it, but I have a feeling the mall will end up being not much more than a glorified flea market.
Ouch!!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I thnk Wonderland has potential, but the owners have to invest, as mentioned earlier target needs to be part of the mall.
Good point! The Museo Alameda opened in 2007 to great plans of hundreds of thousands of people attending a year and look what happened...not that many showed up.

I think Morgan's Wonderland is long overdue and absolutely amazing. It made me feel happy knowing there's a place like that for special needs.

However, keeping it going into the future for years to come may be challenging. Hopefully they don't go the way of Alameda with their financial straits.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:04 PM

22 posts, read 52,172 times
I think the new investors are serious about what they are doing but they must make themselves more visible/accessable since we are the ones who will be the customers.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,482 times
I remember going to Wonderland mall. Eating at a Mammy's/Wyatts Cafeteria down stairs.There was a Rhodes Dept.Store on stilts.and several other really nice stores beside the Wards.It was really busy with shoppers and always clear and decorated beautifully. Later stoes stated shutting down and disappearing.some say the rents were going up to high.Well it will be nice to see something being done to this side of town again..DAC

Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 PM

22 posts, read 52,172 times
They really need a better selection of eateries to be popular. People like to sit around a food court and the chinese food place is not enough. Although the new agua fresca place is good.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wonderland View Post
They really need a better selection of eateries to be popular. People like to sit around a food court and the chinese food place is not enough. Although the new agua fresca place is good.
That will never happen until they get a good anchor first. I don't even think Target is a true anchor because they are not connected to the mall.

But if that ever happens, the food court will naturally get better.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie Cary View Post
I remember going to Wonderland mall. Eating at a Mammy's/Wyatts Cafeteria down stairs.
It was actually Piccadilly Cafeteria. It was the chain's only San Antonio location I am aware of. They sometimes really packed in the customers at lunchtime.

Piccadilly closed in the early 1980s. I heard they lost their lease when the mall was undergoing a renovation/revitalization project that incorporated a multi-vendor food court instead of separate dining establishements. Piccadilly was supposedly looking for a place to relocate in San Antonio after they got the boot from Wonderland/Crossroads, but I guess it never materialized.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
While doing my little boot camp thing last month the mall was always busy on Fridays when the mall hosted the Jazz festival thing by the fountain. It was very surprising. I think if the mall can get some more fun community activities together and show that they do have shoppers in the area that will come down there it will help them get an anchor store. Otherwise it's just going to be a big orange building forever.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,179 times
With aprox. 60 people a day getting mailed $75.00 traffic tickets, the mall will continue to die along with every other business located in the area. Their automated ticket giving devices are killing the area.

The only way the city will learn is by losing revenue. It's the same philosophy they are hiding behind to rip-off hard working people who patronize their city which clearly doesn't work. Simply look at their dying mall and the numerous for lease signs.

Since I unjustly received my ticket many months ago, I have been boycotting every business in Balcones Heights.

I no longer go to the Bijou Theater, Simi's India Cuisine, Grady's BBQ, Super Target, Burlington Coat Factory, Stein Mart, Hobby Lobby, Grady's, Babe's Hamburger. A&B Hearing lost a customer as well. I no longer buy gas at the Shell Station at Hillcrest & Babcock. It's just as easy to shop and eat elsewhere. I simply turn right instead of left when I leave work.

So what they have gained on the front end in unjustly fining me, has cost their local community and economy on the back end.

Hey..here's a thumbs up to Balcones Heights....up their deirere (butt)!

Last edited by BoycottBalconesHeights; 08-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio