Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

Got one tonight on 281 just outside of Blanco. Coming home from a business trip in a rental car. 63 in a 50.. which by the way the speed limit turned 65 in about an 1/8th of a mile..

Anywho.. just wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket and how did you handle it? I see there is an option to pay $107 and then take an online course. Has anyone done that before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
do the defensive driving (my opinion). It's slightly less expensive than paying the ticket and you get the added bonus of receiving a discount for your insurance (most insurance companies). and no, that makes no sense at all...

Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
You'll be getting out of this for cheap at $107. Hollywood Park nicked me for almost $200 doing 35 in the 20 mph phantom school zone next to their village hall. I paid it.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,059 times
You can either take a defensive driving course for $25-40 (you can even do this online or rent videos)... in addition to paying the court fees (about $110).

...or...

You can pay about $100 over your ticket and be put on a 90 day probation.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:40 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Got one tonight on 281 just outside of Blanco. Coming home from a business trip in a rental car. 63 in a 50.. which by the way the speed limit turned 65 in about an 1/8th of a mile..

Anywho.. just wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket and how did you handle it? I see there is an option to pay $107 and then take an online course. Has anyone done that before?
i got a speeding ticket in small town speed trap seguin. i paid the court cost $103 and am now taking the defensive driving course online. the course that i'm taking is only $25, the lowest possible price for an online course as mandated by the state. what i don't like about it is that the narrator talks really slow as if she's talking to a moron. you cannot skip pages and you cannot access another website while the tutorial is going on, b/c the tutorial will stop. they also will pop quiz you on details mentioned that were talked about previously. it blows. good luck. texas is one big speed trap.

http://www.texasdefensivedrivingcour...Discounts.html

Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Those questions the online course ask are crazy. Mine asked for the last 4 digits of the credit card I used to pay for the course and only gave me 60 seconds to hop up and find the stupid card. I tried hard to get around the system, but it's really good at making sure you are 100% tortured through the whole thing
I made my kids take it too so I could get a discount; they were seriously hating me about three hours into it..

Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
And whatever you do, don't wait till the last minute and try to do the whole thing in one sitting. Speaking from experience. There is no way around it--mine told me, "Whoa, you just sped through that last page, now go back and do it again more slowly!" I was ready to slap her. Yes, the online teacher.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Those questions the online course ask are crazy. Mine asked for the last 4 digits of the credit card I used to pay for the course and only gave me 60 seconds to hop up and find the stupid card. I tried hard to get around the system, but it's really good at making sure you are 100% tortured through the whole thing
I made my kids take it too so I could get a discount; they were seriously hating me about three hours into it..
LOL~~ That's funny. I did the same thing. It asked me for my license plate number from any vehicle on my ins policy. I had to find a piece of paper, run outside and get the number, come back and enter it in a short amount of time.
Funny thing, I was at work while doing this so people were like "what are you doing?". "Oh, nothing....."
Luckily, I had a slow day at work and I got paid while taking the course, and I didn't have to waste a Saturday.

Back to the question, I would suggest paying the court cost and getting deferred adjudication. You might still have to take the defensive driving course, my daughter still had to take the course with her ticket. But it saved me $50 on my ins. premium and the ticket is not on her record.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Here's a bizaar idea. Why don't you just drive the speed limit. You could avoid the tickets and fines and online courses and schemes to try and go around the system and maybe avoid an accident. Was it also raining last night when you decided it was OK to exceed the speed limit by almost 15 mph? That's almost 30% over the limit.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Here's a bizaar idea. Why don't you just drive the speed limit. You could avoid the tickets and fines and online courses and schemes to try and go around the system and maybe avoid an accident. Was it also raining last night when you decided it was OK to exceed the speed limit by almost 15 mph? That's almost 30% over the limit.
whether you think so or not, some of the posted speed limits here in texas are ridiculous. at times, i question why they would force you to drive such a ridiculously slow rate when the lanes are wide and you're apparently out in a low populated area. when i rec'd my speeding ticket in seguin, the speed limit sign was very small and hard to see b/c it was dark and no lights in the area. i think that if the town of seguin was REALLY concerned about safety that they would make the speed sign LARGER and light up the area so that it can be seen at night, espec to drivers not familiar with that area. I can only conclude that towns like that care MORE about getting revenue than safety for texas drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio