Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,726,504 times

Advertisements

281 is a very dangerous road. I personally know of friends that were killed on that road. Also, trust me, they set those limits for a reason.

And rd2007, I don't think you can get a discount on insurance from taking a defensive course AFTER your ticket. It's the othe way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,594,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
whether you think so or not, some of the posted speed limits here in texas are ridiculous. at times, i question why they would force you to drive such a ridiculously slow rate when the lanes are wide and you're apparently out in a low populated area. when i rec'd my speeding ticket in seguin, the speed limit sign was very small and hard to see b/c it was dark and no lights in the area. i think that if the town of seguin was REALLY concerned about safety that they would make the speed sign LARGER and light up the area so that it can be seen at night, espec to drivers not familiar with that area. I can only conclude that towns like that care MORE about getting revenue than safety for texas drivers.
There are a lot of laws on the books that I don't agree with also. I you choose to ignore the laws that you don't like don't be suprized if you are punished when you are caught breaking those laws. Just feel lucky that the punishment is so lame that you can sit at your pc enjoying a nice beverage and take a driving course that you should have taken before being issued a licence and get out of most of the punishment. It's no wonder there are so many bad drivers out there.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,078,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
There are a lot of laws on the books that I don't agree with also. I you choose to ignore the laws that you don't like don't be suprized if you are punished when you are caught breaking those laws. Just feel lucky that the punishment is so lame that you can sit at your pc enjoying a nice beverage and take a driving course that you should have taken before being issued a licence and get out of most of the punishment. It's no wonder there are so many bad drivers out there.
Who was suprised? Did I, in my original post, present at any time that I was suprised to receive a ticket? Did I ask "oh how could this happen?".

No.. I simply asked if anyone else had taken the online driving course and what their thoughts on that was.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM

509 posts, read 1,700,276 times
Texas has speed laws !!! few years back i did not think so , i was driving from Nebraska on I-35 and doing the speed limit . i was passed by every vehicle on the road . what blew my mind was this g'ma passed me by and shook her fist at me . so i figured i had best get with it and kept up with the traffic .

Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,594,747 times
>>>Here is bizaar idea.. understand all the facts before making an assumption. I was coming out of town and the speed limit changed to 65 about 1/8th of a mile up the road. It wasn't raining last night when I got pulled over. I was going 63 because thats what I had put in on the cruise control. Why 63 you may ask.. because the speed limit is 65 at night on 281. It was a 4 lane road that was (at that point) very straight.<<<

Oh, that explains it. I'm convinced that it wasn't your fault. Go tell that to the judge. He'll probably let you off.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,078,085 times
Quote:

Oh, that explains it.
I know. Really nothing else to explain.

Quote:

I'm convinced that it wasn't your fault.
You mean by me telling you it was my fault.. I've now convinced you that it wasn't my fault. Weird but ok.

Quote:

Go tell that to the judge. He'll probably let you off.
Why would I do that? I'm going to use that scheme that the state told me about to get out of it..

Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,420,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
And rd2007, I don't think you can get a discount on insurance from taking a defensive course AFTER your ticket. It's the othe way around.
I know for a fact that you could in 2002, which is the last time I was pulled over. I found it pretty retarded, but obviously wasn't going to complain..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Who was suprised? Did I, in my original post, present at any time that I was suprised to receive a ticket? Did I ask "oh how could this happen?".

No.. I simply asked if anyone else had taken the online driving course and what their thoughts on that was.
The subject of speeding is kinda touchy for a few people here. I've found it's best to ignore them because they will not give up..

Old 01-25-2008, 05:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,067,455 times
I got a discount on my car insurance after defensive driving after receiving a ticket. It's not a very big discount, though.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,473,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Got one tonight on 281 just outside of Blanco. Coming home from a business trip in a rental car. 63 in a 50.. which by the way the speed limit turned 65 in about an 1/8th of a mile..

Anywho.. just wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket and how did you handle it? I see there is an option to pay $107 and then take an online course. Has anyone done that before?
Hey, check at the HEB office area (where you can pay electric and get stamps and Seaworld tickets..)seems to me they have something there that you can rent and take to do an "at home" kinda ticket dismissal thingee.

Sorry about the ticket...God KNOW'S there have been times with all of us when it was only because no one was there that we did not suffer the same fate. I don't think that ANYONE that has been driving very long has not absent minded done something wrong driving. Heck this poor lady went to change lanes today and almost creamed me...when I honked at her, she vered back into her lane and waved profusely as I pulled up beside her at the stop sign...almost acted like she EXPECTED me to go off on her. No harm done, been there and done that. Just grateful we were all none the worse for it.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,420,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I got a discount on my car insurance after defensive driving after receiving a ticket. It's not a very big discount, though.
Mine is 10% and that helps a LOT with a 19 year old male on the policy.. luckily my daughter just turned 21 so her rates went down over 50%. still trying to figure out why we're paying for both of them still though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio