Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 53,874 times

Advertisements

Thanks Majormadmax, and I loved the story about the recruit with the handlebar mustache. I can only imagine! Thanks for the exact reference Majormadmax, that made the search easier.

Regarding SJR 29: PASSED

What does this really mean to 100% service-connected veterans? A total exemption on all property tax? There was already a graduated scale in place for less than 100%, so I'm a little mystified. It may take a bit of time to understand the realities of SJR 29. When the individual counties learn of the details and guidelines to implement the new rules, they will probably be able to offer clear insight. I will try to call tomorrow nonetheless. (Emphasis in italics are mine)

TEXAS ELECTION RESULTS:

NCSLnet Search Results: Partisan Composition of State Legislatures (http://www.ncsl.org/ncsldb/elect98/profile.cfm?yearsel=2007&statesel=TX - broken link)

Proposition 9Property Tax Exemption for Disabled VeteransType:Legislative ReferendumStatus: Pass (86.2%)Summary:SJR 29 would authorize the legislature to exempt all or part of the market value of the residence homesteads of veterans certified as having a service-connected 100 percent disability rating. SJR 29 would also clarify the progression of property tax exemptions available to veterans who are less than 100 percent disabled.

The proposed amendment will appear on the ballot as follows: "The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to exempt all or part of the residence homesteads of certain totally disabled veterans from ad valorem taxation and authorizing a change in the manner of determining the amount of the existing exemption from ad valorem taxation to which a disabled veteran is entitled."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,418,629 times
I have had two appointments at Frank Tejeda and the only issue I had was them cancelling my appointment after I walked in for the appointment.. The funny thing was it was the lady I just talked to in person, she called me about 5 minutes later to tell me the appointment was cancelled.. duh..

I've had good service with the DAV people and also with voc rehab. I'm still waiting to see what my new rating will be and I'm hoping at least 60%, so I can start double dipping.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 53,874 times
rd2007, What is "Frank Tejeda" - a VA clinic?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,012,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF&USNVet View Post
rd2007, What is "Frank Tejeda" - a VA clinic?
It is the VA Outpatient Clinic here.

As for the humidity, like I said I grew up in Florida so I don't think it is that bad here. Nothing like we used to get on the East Coast, and as soon as you get acclimated to the long hot summers we have here, you'll be fine. You will probably want to take your walks early in the morning or later in the evenings; but for the most part I didn't find the humidity to be a big issue here.

Concerning SJR 29, you will most likely have to contact the Texas Veterans Commission to find out what the details are on it. I have not heard any further on it since it was voted on last November, and I am glad it passed as there was some resitatance towards it. The measure passed with 91% of the voters in favor of it.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,654,392 times
My husband is a 100% P & T veteran, has many medical problems and he uses the S.A. VA facilities. I can't really compare it to other VA facilities as he hasn't gone to any others, except for one brief hospital stay in Houston when we were visiting there. The VA medical center facility has some problems that have been featured on local TV, but maybe it's the same as other ones as far as I know. The doctors, mostly residents and attending doctors, are primarily rotating from the county medical center/medical school complex nearby. Some are very good and some not so good at all. Some medical errors have been made in the past. My DH has suffered because of a few of those errors, I have to admit that. We just try to keep informed on everything we can and we don't hesitate to question anything that doesn't seem right.
Weatherwise, just be careful about flash floods. They can be dangerous, especially if you're out driving when that's going on. Don't buy any property without checking out whether it's in a very flood-prone area. We pay very little in property taxes because of DH's disability exemptions. The state parks give free admission to some disabled vets, but not for their spouse or family.
It wouldn't hurt to ask about waterfront houses, but it might be a bit expensive. And I can't think of any waterfront areas located near UTSA. In the past few decades the Hill Country especially has seen many developers buying up large amounts of land and individuals buying land as well. Many of those areas have been developed. People from all over are descending on the Hill Country. I've seen problems related to limited availability of water for the ever-increasing populations, pollution, traffic jams and destruction of areas that are ecologically fragile and should not be developed to that extent. I live in the country in a hill country area. A large developer bought up a large ranch right next to our area. They then made plans for 3500 homes on fairly small lots as well as a retail area. The aquifer under that land has fairly limited water of somewhat poor quality. So they asked for water from SAWS (S.A. water), which recently turned them down. They also asked the state for permission to put in a sewage treatment plant and want to discharge huge amounts of effluent into a small creek in that area. We were horrified! Needless to say, we're fighting it. San Antonio itself has some traffic problems because of growth in population. Avoid anything near the dreaded toll roads that are to be forced on the S. A. area population...they say it could be really bad along those. Also that huge, much hated "corridor" to the north, soon to be forced on a reluctant population by the state (barring a miracle!).

Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM

454 posts, read 506,655 times
5) Is there any sort of community or development that has sprung up in the SA area, that interestingly enough, seems to be uniquely comprised of younger former military families and/or younger disabled veterans?

Not that I know of, but this is a very interesting idea given the appeal of SA to veterans. Perhaps this is something you can be in on the start of?

Nearly every newer community seems to have a large number of former military families, but I don't think there's one specifically geared towards disabled vets.

6) What weather risks would an insurance company say SA has in the way of natural disaster; tornado, hurricane, flooding, earthquake, fire, severe winds, etc. How often are there serious disasters that strike the SA area? Every year? To what extent?

Primarily flooding, but only in certain areas. It's pretty easy to check out the flood zone for a propery you may be considering. Don't forget that even if your property is on high land and not in danger of flooding, it could be in danger of being cut-off due to flooding and still require evacuation. Maybe not yearly, but probably once every 5 years in some areas. In between those we're prone to drought.

Fire is a risk, much moreso now than ever with the increase in development in fire-prone areas. I don't think it's as bad as California, for example, and we don't have the steep canyons/ravines here that can make fires so devestating, but we do have large brush fires from time to time.

Severe winds are occasionally a problem.

Rarely tornadoes, no earthquakes to speak of, hurricanes just bring rain and wind but generally not too severe (the other effects of hurricanes are strongly felt - we are a receiving city for coastal evacuees).

6-A) How humid does it get in the summer?

Compared to CA, it is humid. Compared to Houston (or IN or CT - my other US frames of reference) it's mildly humid and slightly uncomfortable. Compared to the tropics (my non-US frame of reference) it's downright dry.

All depends on what you're used to. I find the humidity very tolerable despite having spent the first 22 years of my life in a very dry climate. The really humid days do not go on for long. Last summer was an exception with high humidity and high rain, but it was also very cool.

7) Does SA have an unusually high auto insurance rate compared to where you lived prior? Is TX a no-fault state?

I pay more here than I have anywhere else, but I'm not sure it's that dramatic a difference.

8) What are the names of towns close to SA with lakefront homes. I may not be wealthy, but in this current forclosure and downturn market, even those of us with smaller wallets might have a chance to live with a peaceful water view. That would do me some good.

Canyon Lake, Mico is not far from Medina Lake IIRC. Heading south there are some lakes but honestly they're not very nice.

9) I enjoy ongoing education for the purpose of lifelong learning (since career is not the point anymore), and might consider buying a duplex close to the University of Texas, SA. Can anyone ID the area for me to focus on for a newer duplex in that area?

I don't know those areas well, but you might also consider areas near Trinity University - they have very active programs for non-students and the area has a plethora of older homes/duplexes.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM

454 posts, read 506,655 times
Quote:
Considering I'll be walking the Belgean Malonois a great deal, and considering he's a working dog who is bred for all climates, I'm sure the dog won't mind the humidity. I will confess however, that extreme humidity might get to me since I prefer the dry climate. However, I do realize one can adjust to any weather, as I came from an extreme cold climate to a hot desert climate some years ago on medical advice and aclimated to that just fine (dry heat).

I am interested to know how many folks out there get adjust to the humidity, and it turns out not to be such a big concern after all. I do recall years ago attending UT (TN) for a time, how drenched I felt just driving around in a car, and I admit to excessive humidity being a challenge for me as it's harder for me to get going despite focused effort. That's my only main concern about life in SA with a dog. UT (TN) was my only super-humid experience besides Kaneohe Bay, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, but both gave me some insight.

One can compensate as long as one has good A/C (not swamp), people can hibernate in their homes, so to speak, until the worst is over. How long is the worst of the humidity? Even the hot desert gets humidity for July/August each year. Any thoughts??
Most San Antonians hibernate indoors in summer (drives me crazy to go into buildings needing a sweater in August!). I lived for 3 years in SA with no a/c and managed just fine with fans, however I had an older home with lots of windows and shade, well suited to the local climate. Where I grew up humidity was unheard of, clearly adaptation is possible.

I wouldn't make your dog run in high humidity, and one adapts by doing little - sit in the shade and have a nice drink

Quote:
Also, How is the Air Quality in SA? Smog, heavy, light, occasional, constant? I don't want to hesitate taking the dog out on solid long walks as it would be good for both of us. As the Marines say, I may just have to "Suck it up!"
Not as bad as Los Angeles, not as good as Santa Barbara.... I live downtown/southtown, and there are many days I'd look to the North/NW and see the ugly brown layer in the sky I knew so well from Los Angeles. But it's not so bad it gives me headaches or breathing problems (which I experienced in LA). It will only get worse, but never quite reach those proportions simply because we are not in a 'bowl'.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,680,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
...Not as bad as Los Angeles, not as good as Santa Barbara.... I live downtown/southtown, and there are many days I'd look to the North/NW and see the ugly brown layer in the sky I knew so well from Los Angeles. But it's not so bad it gives me headaches or breathing problems (which I experienced in LA). It will only get worse, but never quite reach those proportions simply because we are not in a 'bowl'.
True. I grew up in Southern CA and remember SMOG very well. I lived about a mile from where the hills began (Route 66), and there were days I couldn't even see the hills. Thank God that will never happen here as we are not surrounded by hills/mountains.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,779,809 times
Thumbs up Saluting you.....

Quote:
.....snipped for space & relevance......

I am interested to know how many folks out there get adjust to the humidity, and it turns out not to be such a big concern after all. I do recall years ago attending UT (TN) for a time, how drenched I felt just driving around in a car, and I admit to excessive humidity being a challenge for me as it's harder for me to get going despite focused effort. That's my only main concern about life in SA with a dog. UT (TN) was my only super-humid experience besides Kaneohe Bay, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, but both gave me some insight.

One can compensate as long as one has good A/C (not swamp), people can hibernate in their homes, so to speak, until the worst is over. How long is the worst of the humidity? Even the hot desert gets humidity for July/August each year. Any thoughts??

Also, How is the Air Quality in SA? Smog, heavy, light, occasional, constant? I don't want to hesitate taking the dog out on solid long walks as it would be good for both of us. As the Marines say, I may just have to "Suck it up!"
First of all, thank you from the very bottom of my heart for your service!
I am NOT one of the many, many, both in San Antonio and in this forum, that have served.
But I have undying appreciation for those who do. And, when I meet or hear of someone (I consider blogging together on a forum to constitute having 'met' - LOL) who has actually paid a physical price in order to SERVE others, I am full of respect and admiration, in addtion to the appreciation...
Now.... in terms of humidity...
I was born in Ohio, lived there till just into my teens... I moved BACK there when my father died (he & my mother had moved back when dad retired...)
OHIO is humid!!!! LucyAnna is humid....
SAN ANTONIO IS NOT HUMID!!!
Again, guessing you are male, but either way, I salute you and your courage and extend the warmest welcome one can send with a keyboard!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 PM

47 posts, read 124,606 times
Default Current Property Tax Exemption

[quote=USAF&USNVet;2557192]Hello,

4) I understand from other posts, that property taxes are high in the SA area. That would be a big consideration for me since I am now on a fixed income due to the medical issues (permanent and total). I did hear something about voters in the State of Texas considering a provision that allows 100% Service-Connected Disabled Veterans a complete property tax exemption - instead of the partial exemption in place. Can anyone verify with a URL, Hot Link, to a government site, newspaper article, or the li

Texas vet websitewww.tvc.state.tx.us/StateBenefits.html

TAX EXEMPTION FOR VETERANS http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/HTML%20Pages%20for%20Frames/BD14565_.gif (broken link)
Disabled veterans who meet certain requirements, their surviving spouses and the spouses and minor children of a person who dies on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible for property tax exemptions on the appraised value of their property. The exemption is mandatory and applies to taxes levied by all taxing authorities in the State. A veteran, whose service-connected disabilities are rated less than 10% by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a branch of the Armed Forces, is not entitled to a property tax exemption. For those rated 10% or more, the tax exemptions below apply:

10% through 30% - First $ 5,000 of appraised value
31% through 50% -]First $ 7,500 of appraised value
51% through 70% - First $ 10,000 of appraised value
71% or more - First $ 12,000 of appraised value

A veteran whose disability is 10% or more, and who is 65 years or older, is entitled to exemption of the first $12,000 of appraised value of property. A veteran whose disability consists of the loss of use of one or more limbs, total blindness in one or both eyes, or suffers paraplegia, is exempt on the first $12,000 of the appraised value of his property. A veteran who qualifies under more than one of the exemptions may not combine the exemptions, but may take the one providing the largest exclusion. The surviving spouse of a person who dies on active duty is entitled to exemption of the first $5,000 of the appraised value of the spouse's property. A surviving child of a person who dies on active duty is exempt on the first $5,000 of appraised value of the child's property, as long as the child is unmarried and under 21 years of age. The surviving spouse of a deceased veteran who, at the time of the veteran's death had a compensable disability and was entitled to an exemption, is also entitled to that exemption if the surviving spouse is unmarried. This law is administered at the local level by the various taxing authorities. For answers to questions about property values, exemptions, agricultural appraisal, and protests to the appraisal review board, or to apply for exemptions, obtain an application from your appraisal PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED BETWEEN JANUARY 1 AND APRIL 30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio