Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In 1981 it had some renovations done on its western edge and was renamed Crossroads Mall.
Actually, that was in the late '80s, around '87 or so. That's when the wing with the food court was added.

I went on my first "date" there in 1986. The food court back then was in the wing across from Burlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:50 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Not much there now except the Bijou and Target.
And Steinmart! Let's not forget my beloved Steinmart!

(Sorry if someone else jumped on this - I stopped and posted as soon as I read your post!! )

Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Actually, that was in the late '80s, around '87 or so. That's when the wing with the food court was added.

I went on my first "date" there in 1986. The food court back then was in the wing across from Burlington.
You're right. Thanks for the clarification. I do remember going to the drug store on that side of the mall around 1986, right before a family road trip.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
They need to allow target to have a mall entrance.
I wonder if Target would even want that. I don't know of any Target stores that are attached to an enclosed mall.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I wonder if Target would even want that. I don't know of any Target stores that are attached to an enclosed mall.
Years ago, the Target at Westlakes Mercado was attached to the mall. I don't think that concept went over well with them.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 AM

79 posts, read 318,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
There are two locations, that I know of, that are attatched to and open into enclosed malls here in the bay area. If I am not mistaken the Target at Memorial City Mall in Houston is the same. That being said I am sure that there are several others just like them across the country. There must be a very good reason why the store does not open into the mall. I would speculate there were code reasons or that there is a master plan for redevelopment of the site that will drastically change the property.

Also, the renovations to the mall that were done in the mid-eighties were never completed. The original plans were to reposition the property as an upscale shopping mall, but the economy at the time (depressed energy, real estate and banking sectors) kept that from happening. The redevelopment brought the stein mart, the bijou art house theater and food court to the mall in a spectacular ampetheater setting complete with fountains and two story atrium space, but the later phases were never constructed and rest of the mall was never renovated to the same standard as the addition.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
I don't remember the Winn's store being there, but I don't remember it not being there either.

I remember the Woolworth's lunch counter/snack bar very well.

When I start to say the name of that mall, I always think "Wonderland" first. It irritated me that they changed the name of the street from Wonderland to Crossroads also. I wish that they could have at least left the streetname alone!
I do the very same thing. To this day I say things like "Oh yeah, that's over by Wonderland---I mean, Crossroads......"

Crossroads, what a stupid name.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellezuniga View Post
I think that the Stein Mart side was added on when all of the renovations were done. There used to be something like a Scripture Stall and an ice cream shop somewhere around the sewing store that is there now. The area opposite the Burlington Coat Factory was a dead end on the bottom floor. There was a little eating area there in the 80's. I remember there was an awesome pizza place called Piece of the Pie. Then they dug out the subterranian parking lot later on and opened it up. There is a wig shop down there that I think has been there for years and years. I also remember there was a cheesy little teen club somewhere around there that I used to go to in the 80's. I also remember there was a Pier 1 on the bottom floor in the 70's or 80's. The Handy Andy was on the top floor. I also remember the Woolworths had a little place in front to one side where you could get a hamburger. The Woolworth's was also opened on the right side to a little diner where you could get Jim's type food. I don't remember the name of the place though. My mom used to take me there after she forced me to go to that darned Wendy Ward crap where they teach you how to walk and act like a lady. I'll never forgive her for that; I guess she was afraid that i was going to grow up to be a comfortable shoes type girl. I remember in the 70's or 80' that Ward's had a teeny tiny little record shop right to the right in either the top or bottom floor mall entrances. I remember those cheesy stereo speakers they used to sell at Ward's with lights in them -blue, green, red, yellow and they would move slightly to the beat of the music. I guess that was pretty cool for the hippies back then to watch while they were tripping on acid. I think this was the mall where I saw a Siberian tiger one time. I don't remember what he was doing there but he was huge and scary; he looked like he weighed about 8 or 900 pounds. I also remember when I was in middle school they would take us to the mall and we would play little Christmas concerts and then run around the mall wreaking havoc for the rest of the day. I had almost forgotten the Wonder Theater. I think one of the last movies I saw there was Amadaeus. Then they tore it down.
That record store INSIDE the Wards was called, of all things, Electric Avenue. A friend of mine used to work there. There was a time that Wards starting giving store-like names to all their departments for some strange reason.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 AM

There used to be another record store inside the mall in the early to mid 1980's. Does anybody remember this? I can't remember if it was a chain store or locally owned, but I can name at least 3 records or tapes I bought there:

The first Aldo Nova record
Triumph: Stages
and Van Halen's 5150

I was a huge Van Halen fan back in the day and I remember my father patiently taking me to the mall the day the album was released, we got there before the stores were even open. I just remember my father patiently waiting with me outside that record store. He didn't even know who the heck Van Halen was, or why his teenage son could be so excited about a new album (Van Halen with Sammy Haggar????!!!) but he never questionned a thing. I was 16 years old at the time and for some reason couldn't use my car (it was always broke), but I had the money for the album and he just took me. It's a very quiet memory of my father, but one of the most powerful for me.

Any way, if anybody can remember the name of this place, it would be much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:38 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
There used to be another record store inside the mall in the early to mid 1980's. Does anybody remember this? I can't remember if it was a chain store or locally owned, but I can name at least 3 records or tapes I bought there:
I remember the store but I don't remember whether it was a chain. Two names that come to mind are Record Town and Hastings, because they were in other malls. Record Box?

I wonder if that was the same store that moved down the hall in the 90's, close to where the pet shop used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio