Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,108 times

Advertisements

While it is a "given" that Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, and Terrell Hills are all pretty nice and popular, I can't help but wonder if there are big difference in Terrell Hills depending on what school district the houses fall into? Part of it is Alamo Heights ISD and the other part is NEISD. Sometimes the same street can be split into two different school districts! Are the parts that fall into NEISD considered "bad" or looked down upon? Or are all parts of Terrell Hills seemingly equal?

(Any other info about the area welcome - considering a move there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:11 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
I think the primary difference will be price per square foot (NEISD will be lower). Visually, I don't think there's much difference, although the more elaborate residences tend to be in AHISD territory. It's still the same city services, as both are under Terrell Hills Fire, Police, and city government. AHISD is considered by many to be the region's most prestigious school district.

There are some residential streets in the City Of San Antonio just to the north of Terrell Hills, near Kenilworth Blvd., and north of Eisenhauer, where one house is in AHISD, and literally the house next door is in NEISD. Again, the biggest difference is the price, and where you'll be going to school.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,268 times
Although the homes may look similar, there is a tremendous difference between schools. If at all possible, I would opt for AHISD.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:33 AM

232 posts, read 379,790 times
What is commonly referred to as East Terrell Hills is NEISD. You can find the zone map for AHISD @ ahisd.net .

On the same street 2 schools comment, years back, I lived on a street were the boundary was literally down the middle of the driveway of the house 2 down from me. They had the option of choosing AHISD or NEISD.

Last edited by RedNeckRick; 04-14-2015 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added content

Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,241 times
NEISD has some schools as good or possibly better than some AHISD schools, however there are also some much worse- unlike AHISD, NEISD is huge covering many different neighborhoods. I would most definitely research the specific school for each house you consider. I know of some NEISD schools in Heights that my friends loved and rate well but looking online I see some that do not look very good. There are several areas in town where which side of the street you are on can put you in the boundary of a different school or even district so even if you look outside those 3 areas check school boundaries.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,108 times
I guess my question is if we buy a home on a street that is divided between school districts (the home would be in AHISD), but neighbors would be in NEISD, would that really hurt our resale? I don't necessarily want to be the "worst" in the "best" area. Which is kind of confirmed by the "East Terrell Hills" comment.

(Definitely considering moving to that area for the AHISD for the kids.)

Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times
East Terrell Hills isn't actually apart of Terrell Hills, it's a completely separate subdivision that's about a mile from the actual city of Terrell Hills. I don't think there are any houses in the city of Terrell Hills that are zoned to NEISD.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I don't think there are any houses in the city of Terrell Hills that are zoned to NEISD.
Yes there are! I think the dividing line runs along (or maybe approximately along) Crestwood Blvd. The homes to the east od Crestwood would be NEISD.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
East Terrell Hills isn't actually apart of Terrell Hills, it's a completely separate subdivision that's about a mile from the actual city of Terrell Hills. I don't think there are any houses in the city of Terrell Hills that are zoned to NEISD.
Terrell Hills extends to the western edge of Harry Wurzbach, but the homes east of Beverly (and a line that extends north) are in NEISD. See map here: AHISD

That said, I have good friends that live two houses away from the dividing line (in AHISD), and they don't believe that their home value has been negatively impacted at all. The desirable Northwood area is also split between AHISD and NEISD.

Another way to look at it is how Mahncke Park, immediately south of AHISD, is in a much less desirable school district (SAISD) but still has high home values. Monte Vista (again, immediately south of AHISD) is also in SAISD but has VERY high home values.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes there are! I think the dividing line runs along (or maybe approximately along) Crestwood Blvd. The homes to the east od Crestwood would be NEISD.
It is a jagged line for Crestwood to Beverly.

http://www.ahisd.net/about/districtmap.html#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio