Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you attend school?
Good memories 6 100.00%
Bad memories 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:24 AM

14 posts, read 50,036 times

Advertisements

These may have been mentioned before but I couldn't read over 2,000 posts to check - but does anyone remember these places/things?

BOWLERAMA on Blanco Road and Weizman
WHOPPER BURGER on West Ave (now Smurfs)
SHAKEYS PIZZA on San Pedro
SELF'S Hamburger (for 15 cents) on San Pedro usually just ketchup and pickles (later heard a story that they were using horse meat -- not sure if true) but they sure were good at the time
ROLLERCADE off San Pedro/ Jackson Keller? (still there)
JAY's HAMBURGERS on San Pedro - cruise through with your car - usually a GTO (GOAT)
Joske's with Santa on top of the building? Or the chocolate shakes they sold in the basement in real shake glasses? I think they were 50 cents.
GWYN's PHARMACY on West Ave - I don't think it's still there?? 5 cent cherry cokes and chocolate cokes. You could go crazy with a quarter!!
TRUCKERS HEAD SHOP on Hildebrand - there was also a pool hall down Hildebrand close to the RR tracks - can't remember the name of it.
Anyone live around Craigmont Lane? Remember WHITE CLIFFS where we rode our bikes down hills - one called Suicide? A creek ran through it. Houses have been built on it
Knowltons and Carnation dairies on Fredericksburg Road
North West Center on Fredericksburg Road - used to race our VW's in the parking lot late at night.
FREDERICKSBURG DRIVE-INN THEATER (next to NW Center) kids hide in trunk to get in FREE!
TIP TOP on Fredericksburg Rd (still there)
SIGMOR SHAMROCK (also known as Diamond Shamrock and now Valero) my dad used to send me on my bike to buy him a pack of Herbert Tareyton cigarettes for 30 cents.
Yeah, anybody at any age could buy cigs then.
SOUTHERN COMFORT - not too good of memories cuz I can't remember (ha) cheap stuff though...that and cherry vodka -
THE DONKEY LADY - never knew where she was exactly but of course the guys took us girls out to Dreamland to park and wait to see if she'd show up - nice try guys!! She was supposed to be half woman/half donkey.
THIEF of BAGDAD - the rapist that hid in the home and attacked women
EARL ABELS on Broadway - (now located on Austin Hwy) but definitely not the same!! atmosphere and food aren't as good.
Piggly Wiggly on Blanco Road
L&M on Blanco Road for the cowboy duds
BUTCHER BOY Meats on Blanco Rd
DAIRY QUEEN on Blanco Road - it's now a well known Mexican Restaurant
WOOLCO across from Wonderland MALL (now Crossroads Mall)
RHODES in Wonderland Mall

- just thinking of the good ole times when we could walk the streets at night without any problems. When peg pants and tangerine shoes were in. Girls wore pointed tennis shoes and short shorts. The boys had gangs but they weren't violent - but it took all of them to RUMBLE! Back then their weapons consisted of fists, brass knuckles and chains. Their bark was worse than their bite. Hair was slicked back on the sides called fenders and the schools thought THAT was long hair!! HA - MAKE WAY for the hippies next. Girls and boys went steady and the girls wore the guys ring around their neck. I remember I made my boyfriend go buy a ring so I could wear it....also silver ID bracelets with the guys name on it. Yeah, guys used to wear these IDs with their own name on it.
DRIVERS ED in school at age 14 - Could get beginners at 14 and regular license at 16.
CORVAIR CARS - (funny)
2 door 57 Chevy's (good looking cars)
ROTARY DIAL TELEPHONES & Pink Princess telephones - when you could call someone or they could call you and hang up and you'd have to GUESS who it was. No caller id then.
RED SKELTON, DRAGNET and LAWRENCE WELK - had to watch what my parents watched altho there wasn't much of a choice with channels 4,5, 9 and 12
TELEPHONE EXCHANGES - DIAMOND (Di) -OXFORD (Ox) -MELROSE (Me) -PERSHING (Pe) - Capital (Ca) - WALNUT (Wa)- GENERAL (Ge) MAYFIELD (Ma) - I'm sure I've left some out but we always used the name with the number - actually it was much easier and back then you always knew what part of town the number was associated with - NOT NOW - that's almost impossible with all the new numbers out there.
That's all I can think of right now - did any of these bring back some memories? NOSTALGIA! I love it!!

MsPriss4

Last edited by MsPriss4; 12-17-2007 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: SORRY! Didn't understand poll so it doesn't make sense - it's my first post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 AM

88 posts, read 286,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPriss4 View Post
These may have been mentioned before but I couldn't read over 2,000 posts to check
Yep, most of what you posted has been covered, much of it in detail.

The GBNFISA thread is packed FULL of great info from years gone by. This is truly wonderful stuff! You really should take the time, if at all possible, to give it a read.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:51 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Try the 'Search This Thread' option in the upper righthand corner of the thread window for the GBNF thread...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,078 times
Default Thief of Bagdad

The Thief of Bagdad attempted to rob our house one evening. My mother was having a dinner party and the dude burst through the door wearing a ski mask and had a big gun. At least it looked big to me. I escaped and called the police while he ransacked our house and theatened to kill my brother, mom and her friends. He ended up taking nothing because he didn't believe my mother's jewlery was real and didn't end up stealing our car because my mom and brother got into an argument about putting gas into the car.

Neil

Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
The Thief of Bagdad attempted to rob our house one evening. My mother was having a dinner party and the dude burst through the door wearing a ski mask and had a big gun. At least it looked big to me. I escaped and called the police while he ransacked our house and theatened to kill my brother, mom and her friends. He ended up taking nothing because he didn't believe my mother's jewlery was real and didn't end up stealing our car because my mom and brother got into an argument about putting gas into the car.

Neil
what year was this? I am not sure I remember this one- I do remember the guy who hid his kids in the trunk of his car while he commited his crimes- was this the same guy?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,734 times
What about the Bruner's stores that were connected to HEB's in town? You could access the store from swing door between HEB and Bruner's

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
I remember all of the above! We must have lived close to each other at the same time!

All my clothes and shoes were bought at Bruners. Remember Poll Parrot shoes?

The first pizza I ever ate came from Shakeys on San Pedro.

I got my FULL drivers license at age 14 after taking Drivers Ed in 1967. The next year it was raised to 16 with Drivers Ed, and 18 without.

I bowled at Bowlerama all the time. A high school friend worked there, and would let us bowl for free after hours!

Whopper Burger had the best hamburgers. Murfs doesn't even come close.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times
There was a place on West Ave. north of I-10 which I can't think of a name for right now. Used to eat chili burgers there. And a Mexican food place on West Ave. just south of I-10...okay, I'm getting too old to remember what either one was called. And wasn't there a store on Blanco named Deluxe? I know it was still there a few years back, but name may have changed. I remember Dairy Queen and used to shop at that Northwest shopping center a lot. Also the family shopped at the Piggly Wiggly a lot. Didn't they turn that building into a dance hall for a while? Somewhere I've got our family's old Pershing number written down. We always seemed to live near the railroad track. For many years we'd hear those trains coming through. Strange...don't remember the Thief of Baghdad...but there were always rapists running around. Most never got the publicity the others had. I remember some of the old shows...we didn't feel deprived since most of my childhood we didn't even have a TV. When did Route 66 come on? That was pretty cool for those days!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
It was probably Rommells where you had the chili burgers, and the Mexican food place was The Corn Shack.

Deluxe market was at El Monte and Blanco, among other areas as well. There were two Piggly Wigglys on West Avenue, and both became ballrooms, and one is now a strip joint.

I liked the old phone prefixes. I have a PErshing (73) number. I had a DIamond (34) growning up. One could tell what part of town by the prefixes. WAlnut, and LEhigh were south side. GEneral and ORchard were west side. CApitol was downtown. MOhawk and EDison were east side. PErshing and Diamond were northside. TAylor was the Alamo Heights area. There were many others.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,433 times
Default House on Blanco Road

Does anyone remember the big house on Blanco Road next the Dairy Queen near LaManda? I used to play baseball there on a little field someone scratched out of the back of that property. I've always wondered who owned that house. Does anyone have info on that? I don't know when it was built but it was razed in the late 1960s. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio