Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times

Advertisements

This is what happens in a hot market, which we've definitely been. I've had a lot of clients contact me about running comps for them and when I look, the values aren't out of whack and it wouldn't help them to protest, because any data I could provide wouldn't help their case.

However, the problem isn't the assessed values. It's the freaking rates we're hit with. We're taxed at a very high rate in this area.

Remember those mayoral elections we just had? Did anyone complaining about their taxes take the time to vote? You can go protest value year after year after year, or you can look to elect officials that'll help shrink the government and the amount that we're constantly being bilked for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This is what happens in a hot market, which we've definitely been. I've had a lot of clients contact me about running comps for them and when I look, the values aren't out of whack and it wouldn't help them to protest, because any data I could provide wouldn't help their case.

However, the problem isn't the assessed values. It's the freaking rates we're hit with. We're taxed at a very high rate in this area.

Remember those mayoral elections we just had? Did anyone complaining about their taxes take the time to vote? You can go protest value year after year after year, or you can look to elect officials that'll help shrink the government and the amount that we're constantly being bilked for.

You hit that nail on the head.. Lets beat our heads against the walls and protest it year after year... instead of dealing with the shags we got in office...

Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Not to mention that our appraiser is beyond aggressive and the county judge is a good friend of his.

But lets keep electing him year over year.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 PM

27 posts, read 39,066 times
Lets not forget about the sneaky taxes they add to the cable/cell phone bills.

We live in a blue city we have to deal with it

Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabantonio View Post
Lets not forget about the sneaky taxes they add to the cable/cell phone bills.

We live in a blue city we have to deal with it
what does that have to do with property taxes?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM

303 posts, read 365,856 times
I received notice in the mail that I have an "Informal Meeting" scheduled with a Bear County Appraisal review board district representative on 5/26.

I suppose I'll just pull comps from my neighborhood and bring a copy of my sales/build contract for my protest...

Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM

100 posts, read 207,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
I received notice in the mail that I have an "Informal Meeting" scheduled with a Bear County Appraisal review board district representative on 5/26.

I suppose I'll just pull comps from my neighborhood and bring a copy of my sales/build contract for my protest...
Wow - they don't give you a whole lot of warning, do they? Less than a week! Does your paperwork say anything about being able to get the evidence packet? I'm wondering if we can go down to the offices and pick it up.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:19 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
Wow - they don't give you a whole lot of warning, do they? Less than a week! Does your paperwork say anything about being able to get the evidence packet? I'm wondering if we can go down to the offices and pick it up.
Once you file the protest, they send you a link for the evidence packet, which you must go online to get. I got mine within hours of sending my protest. They came back within a few days with their offer, an another evidence packet. I chose not to protest their offer, as it was reasonably close to what I was asking. Last year I did ask for a formal protest. I had at least 2 weeks warning. However, if you can't make it you tell them and request another date.

As for voting, I agree you should pay attention to how you vote, but don't believe a candidate who says they're going to lower taxes. If they do say so, ask them exactly how they will make that happen. It's not that simple and they're not likely to.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 PM

100 posts, read 207,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Once you file the protest, they send you a link for the evidence packet, which you must go online to get. I got mine within hours of sending my protest. They came back within a few days with their offer, an another evidence packet. I chose not to protest their offer, as it was reasonably close to what I was asking. Last year I did ask for a formal protest. I had at least 2 weeks warning. However, if you can't make it you tell them and request another date.
You did an online protest, correct? We mailed ours in - we had luck going face to face (with the informal meeting) a couple of years ago, so figured that we'd try again. I'm not sure how the evidence packet works for mailed in protests vs. online.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
what does that have to do with property taxes?
Actually quite a bit. The liberal and democratic parties are typically behind higher property taxes as it helps funds their pet projects. Republicans aren't great about it either, but by and large the conservative folks are the ones pushing for smaller government and less taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio