Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 AM

161 posts, read 227,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
As a local retail business owner, I would say your neighbor is not well versed in the San Antonio retail business environment. Current local market analysis indicates quite differently.

The companies you mention just don't come in, open a store, and hope for the best. They have enough research to justify the expense of opening a store. However, timing is everything, and while a good M/A will indicate what you can expect from a demographic standpoint, it can't predict a severe recession. Boerneman's explanation sounds more plausible to me.

I do know that commercial retail landlords have been taking it in the shorts for the last few years due to the economy downturn. Now that business is picking up, they are much less willing to negotiate on lease deals.
Where did I say that my neighbor was well versed in SA retail business development? You read WAY too much into my post. She is simply a shopper/consumer who was telling me both stores were here.
All I said is that she said there was indeed a C & B here and it folded.
You bring up the recession...the Austin C & B is doing fine, as are many other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
That's why you shouldn't listen to people that heard it from another who hear it from another....

It's just so funny everyone hates chain stores but then they hate a city for not having certain chain stores

What does West Elm (which was here) have that we can't get from somewhere else?

West Elm is in markets that don't even come close in purchasing power of San Antonio. It's not always obvious why....

If you want West Elm move or shop online!!!
I was just reading your reply to another poster; it was just as rude as the one to my post.
Back to our topic: Have you considered that maybe not all of us like to buy our housewares at HEB's kitchen section? Maybe some of us, granted the minority, have money to spend at such stores.

YOUR attitude is exactly why C & B isn't here. You are another one who adds meaning and words to posts. Nobody said they "hated" San Antonio for not having those stores. We simply enjoying what they offer.

Don't worry; I am moving. You make it very clear who is welcome in this town and who isn't. There are more than enough people like you to keep coming here, so the WalMart Supercenters, Dollar Generals, and such will keep going up. If you think I will apologize for having disposable income to shop at nice stores, you are in for a disappointment.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,973,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
One of my neighbors told me today that Crate & Barrel and West Elm already tried this market and the incomes here couldn't support them.
My wife bought a lot of things at West Elm when it was open here. It was not an expensive store. Restoration Hardware which is more expensive has been doing just fine at the Quarry now for years.

There are also plenty of higher end stores to buy houseware in SA, not everyone goes to HEB or the Dollar Tree.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
My wife bought a lot of things at West Elm when it was open here. It was not an expensive store. Restoration Hardware which is more expensive has been doing just fine at the Quarry now for years.

There are also plenty of higher end stores to buy houseware in SA, not everyone goes to HEB or the Dollar Tree.
Wonderful news! I'm glad to see others appreciate quality goods. Your frustration at me might be better directed at the posters bashing the fact that some of us do like upscale shopping.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:

Don't worry; I am moving. You make it very clear who is welcome in this town and who isn't. There are more than enough people like you to keep coming here, so the WalMart Supercenters, Dollar Generals, and such will keep going up. If you think I will apologize for having disposable income to shop at nice stores, you are in for a disappointment.
'

"Keep coming here?" Have you ever considered that someone could be native from the city and that this is what they know? It may not be a matter of knowing better or different shopping, bur lack of exposure. I'm native and kind of find the way you talk offensive. I'd love to see all the discussed stores here. But unless you're directly related to the industry your reasoning behind us not having these stores is moot. And happy moving!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,794,400 times
Copenhagen is way more expensive than West Elm. Using the arguement that West Elm was too expensive for SA doesn't make sense when Copenhagen has been here for many years now.

Also, C&B has never entered the SA market. That is not to say they never will, but whoever the neighbor is...needs to be more informed.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,359,757 times
Quote:
I was just reading your reply to another poster; it was just as rude as the one to my post.
Back to our topic: Have you considered that maybe not all of us like to buy our housewares at HEB's kitchen section? Maybe some of us, granted the minority, have money to spend at such stores.

YOUR attitude is exactly why C & B isn't here. You are another one who adds meaning and words to posts. Nobody said they "hated" San Antonio for not having those stores. We simply enjoying what they offer.

That poster is rude to everyone.

My intention was never to be rude to you.

Have you ever tried Sunset Hardware, Macy's, William-Sonoma?

I can assure you that C & B don't care about my attitude but they might care about my income.

If you move I really hope and doubt it had anything to do with a few CD posters...

Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Crate & Barrel had a store here in the 80's. I guess SA wasn't ready for it yet then.
This is from another thread a few years back. So, which is it? Was it here and couldn't make it or not?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 17,532 times
Quote:

Because without C&B, there are no other options for your kitchenware purchases? There is Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma. Both, I'd rate higher than Crate.

It just seems, from my limited exposure to your posts, that you complain about anything and everything. You make way to many condescending and brass statements and generalizations. If you're truly leaving, then I think San Antonio will be better off.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM

38 posts, read 59,498 times
I will definitely check out Steinmarts and Beall's. Thanks for explaining! It's fun finding new stores that are affordable. Like I said, previously, I am LOVING Charming Charlie and we didn't have one of those in the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio