Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:18 PM

86 posts, read 314,786 times

Advertisements

My little ones are 3 and 4 and the oldest will be starting school next year. I am considering private schools. Just wondering if anyone here can speak from specific experience about any of these: St. Matthews, Atonement, St. Thomas, Judson Montessori, St. George (West Ave), Hill Country Montessorri, Geneva School, Castle Hills First Baptist.......or any others I may be missing that are NW, NC?

I am looking for a well rounded school with a solid reputation and high expectations - but that isn't so strict that kids don't get to be "kids". I have been told that the Catholic schools (St Matthews, Atonement) have large classes....

I have been to many of these schools to visit, but that's only one perspective - just wanting some advice from those who may have BTDT with their kids.

FWIW, I am a teacher (NISD) and I think it's a very good district, but my "goal" with private is 1)smaller CLASS SIZE and 2)Religious/moral teachings. I am very open to the idea that I may not find anything that can replace the solid curriculum of the public schools, but I want to investigate.

One other thing that is playing into this: I know that a lot of teachers (specifically NISD and I'm sure most other public schools) feel overwhelmed and exhausted. Many are on the verge of "burn out", but are kind of stuck because of the money or how many years we have invested already (Teacher Retirement). I really want my kids to have teachers that aren't under SO much pressure they are ready to snap! So maybe a private school is a less stressful environment for the teachers (therefore more thoughtful for the kids)?

Thanks for any advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

616 posts, read 2,085,147 times
It's in Monte Vista, which is farther down 281 than you are looking, but I went to Keystone K-8 and it was the best decision my parents ever made for me. It doesn't have a religious aspect, but it is a place with a strong moral compass. Keystone has very small class sizes, very rigorous academics, and is academically accelerated. It was ranked number one in the world for having the highest grades on Advanced Placement tests. If you are serious about a quality education for your kids, I would look there.

If you have a boy, the San Antonio Academy across the street from Keystone has also always gotten very strong marks from people who have gone there or sent their boys there.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,562,019 times
I can attest to St. Thomas. I had a child there from age 2 to 5th grade (10 years). I also have another child who began K in public, and is still there. (My St T child is now in public 6th). FWIW, I teach in NEISD. I was highly involved at St T.

Class size: max is 20, but rarely reaches that. Usually about 16-17. The higher up the grade scale, the smaller the class. Kinder has assistants. 1-5 do too, but they taper off. Solid moral character development. Strong, welcoming Christian atmosphere. We had many children of other faiths, as well, and they were completely at home. In addition, the largest Christian denomination served is actually Catholic (Episcopal school). Competitive tuition to other private schools; in fact, generally lower by at least $1000. (don't look at the "monthly" tuition, look at the total for the year including registration, insurance, etc.) Curriculum is mainly Abeka in K and 1, gradually supplementing/switching to other resources by grades 4 & 5.

The private/public debate has been hashed out here elsewhere. Both my public and private school children received solid educations, both academically and character-wise. Every child is different, as every school is different. I have been asked by several parents at St T my opinion of it vs public, and I have always told them the same thing: you can't go wrong either way, and the choice depends upon your child and you.

Feel free to DM if you have other questions...

Old 11-10-2007, 06:11 AM

Thanks Eleanor and Pobre for your replies!

Keystone: I have heard alot about it - but I am worried about location because we live FAR NW (think Medina Lake). I am used to driving far (it's "far" to go anywhere), but the thought of going THAT far each day worries me, especially with traffic. I am so glad you had such a great experience there. I have a girl and a boy. I would want them at the same school though (and would plan to try to teach at the school too, especially for convenience sake.)

St. Thomas: I had a friend who sent her kids there - she loved it. They did move to St. George after a few years only b/c it went through 8th grade. She said she loved St. George more, but she truly loved them both. I agree with you in that every child is different. I think my daughter would do fine in public -she is a social butterfly so the more kids the better LOL. But my son, he is very different - I really think the smaller atmosphere and less "hectic" pace is more appropriate for him. He is very very sensitive and gets intimidated very quickly. Hopefully this is just his age (mainly the last part, I really don't mind having a sensitive child) and he will be ok, but coming from the teaching profession, I know how easy it is to "overlook" some kids, even with the best of intentions. In my eyes, he is one who would be "overlooked". Also, in general I just love smaller classes (again, from a teaching aspect I know I could be so much more effective with fewer children - it would be very fulfilling professionally to feel like I am thoroughly reaching ALL my students)

I agree with you in that it's often hard to compare public vs. private in a general sense. I mean there are obvious differences, but both have their strengths. Now, if you ask a deeply committed public school teacher, they will knock private schools in a second (they say they are lower quality), but I don't believe that. I think a child can get a good education anywhere if their parents are involved and committed. So I think choosing a school at this point for us is just about class size and religious/moral education.

FWIW I grew up in NEISD schools and have very fond memories of elementary school (Camelot and Castle Hills) Middle School was a different story (Jackson), but I think that was more of a social aspect than academic. Lee was awful but I only went there one year (then moved to a smaller district outside of town)

Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 AM

616 posts, read 2,085,147 times
Quote:
Keystone: I have heard alot about it - but I am worried about location because we live FAR NW (think Medina Lake). I am used to driving far (it's "far" to go anywhere), but the thought of going THAT far each day worries me, especially with traffic. I am so glad you had such a great experience there. I have a girl and a boy. I would want them at the same school though (and would plan to try to teach at the school too, especially for convenience sake.)
That is definitely something to take into consideration - there was a family when I was there who drove in every day from Luling. That's just an incredible distance to drive. They felt they really didn't have many options, though, as apparently Luling schools are not great, and their children were most definitely high on the gifted scale.

Have you looked into any schools in Boerne? I think there is a Catholic school there, though I could be wrong.

It's another school that's too far in for you, most likely, but there is also St. Luke's Episcopal by the Quarry. They are up to 8th grade now, I think, and if I had kids I would definitely think about sending them there.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM

Thanks Eleanor,

Yes, Boerne is actually my preference, just because of traffic and location. I am currently looking at The Geneva School and Hill Country Montessorri. I visited HCM about 2 years ago and liked it, and by the looks of the website and their planned relocation/new building out Hwy 46, it has improved even more. Although I love their building on School Street in Boerne - it has classic charm (old!). Their ratios are higher than I would like, but being that it is a "non-traditional", more self-directed curriculum, I am not quite as concerned.

I looked at Keystone's website and WOW I was impressed (and it was just a website!!!) It is EXACTLY the type of school where I would want my kids to go!!!! (although the price is steep, but it definitely looks superior and unique so that is what you pay for ) My daughter is approximately a year ahead already (4.5 years old and reading and writing at a late 5 year old level). I am not convinced my son is as advanced as she is, but he is only 3, so he is still very young - and with my basis of comparison being his obviously advanced sister (not purposeful comparison, just natural) it's harder to tell

The only thing about it, even if I braved the drive, is that my son will be in PreK next year, so I would have to split them up. So maybe we will just bide our time another year somewhere else and take a look at Keystone the following year.

Thanks again for your advice

Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 PM

469 posts, read 2,343,424 times
I don't know if you know much about Atonement, my neighbors had all 4 of her kids there. The classes are small and segregated by sex. They are Catholic but the head priest (I don't know the official title, sorry) has a wife because he used to be Protestant of some sort and came into Catholicism after that. I'm sure there's some catholic justification but I'm not catholic so I wouldn't know. They have services every day in school starting in pre-K and have just started high school there but there are very few kids in it so it may not fly. They also have Opus Dei (sp?) in their congregation which as I understand is a bit different.
My neighbor (who is a catholic and still attends services there) pulled all of her kids out because of the 'drama'. I don't know the details but it was getting too much like Desperate Housewives catholic school style.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Thanks Michelle...

I visited there about this time last year and from the hour I was there, I was not that impressed. But I didn't know if it was just me - I mean an hour isn't that long. But first impressions also mean alot so....

The Dean/Headmaster of School talked about money constantly. Everything was "the woodwork in the library cost $xxxx.xx, the window cost $xxxxxxx and was donated by an anonymous donor" blah blah blah - the gym had the "NFL" quality equipment. I don't think the same guy is there this year, but needless to say he just seemed very "full of himself".

Also, while I waited for the Dean to come out to show me around, I sat and watched the kids play in the front parking lot (their playground was being built/redone or something) and the teachers were NOT watching them the least little bit - several had "wandered" quite far away and I was wondering if I should say something! The teachers were totally involved in their own conversations. Some kids were climbing on each other, hitting each other (really rough), etc. It was kind of painful to watch.

Then I observed a Kinder class and the teacher was instructing them exactly WHICH color to use first in their watercolor pack to paint a penguin. I felt totally claustrophobic.

But I know several people who take their kids there and love it. So I just thought I'd ask for more opinions. I know there is one website with reviews and there is some pretty negative stuff.

Actually, after I left there I was thinking public school wasn't all that bad!! (and it's NOT, but I guess you kind of expect a private school to provide something better/more and I definitely did not leave there feeling that way...)

Thanks again for your input

Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,657,194 times
We were very happy with St. George before we moved to Austin. My son came into his new school basically a grade level ahead on most subjects however when the kid has a special problem ie...dyslexia, adhd whatever they were not the best place for special attention. They seemed to be low pressure when it comes to fundraiseing got a letter about it maybe once per semester. Now the PTO did have to step in on the parents and all school parties have the same thing, cookies and juice boxes parents I guess were getting way out of hand there. They are very good on the allergy side of things if the kids have those types of problems.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,328,568 times
Saint Mary's Hall isn't on your list, and it's a terrific school. I'm a graduate and a big fan of Episcopal education. I would take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio