Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am trying to plan a little birthday get together with some friends for my 29th birthday coming up. I am at a loss as to where to go. My idea is a casual dinner with a few drinks followed by a casual bar.club atmosphere type of place. The reason behind the two is so that friends who can't make one can make another (Safety first, of course!). I would like it to be casual, nothing to fancy and relatively cheap (like $11-15 per meal?). I wouldn't be opposed to a chain restaurant but I'd love to have the option for a drink or two there as well and then finish the night somewhere else.

What would you suggest? Distance doesn't really matter but it would kind of be a bummer to have to pay for parking downtown as this will be a Friday evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM

40 posts, read 107,503 times
My first thought is Nosh on Austin Highway. A lot of the dishes are intended to be shared, so you can get a few things and all try them. After dinner you can hang out at the bar downstairs of Silo. I believe they have live music most Friday nights.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Nernah. It sounds like a great idea. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM

268 posts, read 594,450 times
I use J Alexanders Locations | J. Alexander's the Quarry......we usually meet around 6 pm, thus giving a window for arrival. People will usually get their own drinks. Then we get an appropriate sized table (not sure how many people you are having). This can last from 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Depends.

They have good food and service and the place is very nice to casually enjoy it with friends. Check out their prices.

If you want really really casual and good food and prices -- and has a long old fashion bar. Check out MK Davis mkdavisrestaurant.com on N.Flores near downtown, plenty of parking between San Antonio College and IH35. It's an old SA institution I use this place for lunch or dinner. In fact, I put together a group of 18 about a month ago, friends of a visiting friend from out of town. They also have a large room for large groups. We got lucky and it was available.

One other place we go to is Longhorn Cafe Steak Locations - LongHorn SteakHouse I would say this place is between the above 2 places in price, but more along the J Alexander atmosphere and well appoint room. It also has a bar area.

Hope this helps and happy upcoming birthday.

Last edited by getgoing2010; 05-20-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Getgoing2010, thanks! I am not a huge fan of MK Davis. I've had lunch there a few times and wasn't impressed. The fact that they are cash only is also kind of pain.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM

759 posts, read 3,691,779 times
Had dinner last night at El Mirasol- love their patio!! And then maybe drinks at Tost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio