Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times

Advertisements

I fear this will open up a huge 'ol can of worms, but here goes.

I recently attended one of the "Rollback" election forums held by the school district. For those that don't know, on Nov. 6th, the SAISD will ask voters to approve a tax rate above than the mandated rate. They have been calling it a rollback election, which I feel is misleading, because if there were no election at all the rate would decrease even more. That said, the superintendent made some very good points during the presentation, and it seems like he has a plan for the future of the district. What I would like to know is how you, the forum members, would fix SAISD, and whether this tax increase is justified.

One of the major points mentioned during the presentation was that income from the state is tied to attendance. There is no doubt the district is losing students, and the schools are currently at 2/3 capacity. Underutilized schools (SAISD has 106 campuses, NISD has 80) are obviously more expensive to run (same utility cost for 800 kids as for 1000 kids, etc.). The reason for the drop is up for debate. It was stated that the new housing being built outside the loop is causing young families to settle outside of the district. The firm commissioned to do a demographic report for the district, however, has publicly stated that this belief is NOT the primarily reason for the reduced numbers. Charter and private schools were dismissed by the superintendent as a reason because SAISD retains 90% of the students within its boundaries, and this is comparable to other districts. My feeling is that if 10% of Northside parents are sending their kids to private schools, it is because they want either a religious or an ultra mega exceptional (Keystone) education for their kids. I'm thinking that the reason 10% of SAISD kids go to non-public schools is that the schools don't offer anything more than even an average education. The prevailing thought in my neighborhood is that if you move here, you send your kids to either a private school or to a magnet school in NISD or NEISD. In fact, when a new neighbor was recently interviewed for our newsletter, one of the questions asked was "have you decided which school to send the kids to." Sending them two blocks down to the public school is never even considered.

According to SAISD, the schools are better than the perception, but perception is reality until something is done to change it. We did have one family which tried to be pioneers and sent their kid to the local elementary school, became active PTA members, and met regularly with the administration. They were finally told, "if you want a good education, you need to send them to a private school." After trying homeschooling for a year they finally sold the house (for a nice profit) and moved to a better school district. I don't blame the teachers (my better half teaches in a school district even poorer than SAISD, so we know the inherent problems), but rather the administration and school board for not coming up with programs that attract parents. The district keeps coming up with schemes to attract at-risk kids (the all-girls academy most recently), but rarely anything to attract those striving for excellence. If the at-risk kids are probably going to stay in the public school system anyway, why not concentrate on innovative programs which would convince those that left for private schools to return? I have read good things about the programs at Bonham and Hawthorne Elem., but again, these seem to be the exception. Yes, I do know that there are other "recognized" or "exemplary" SAISD schools, but I don't consider performance on a test to be a valid determinant on whether a school is good or not. A great fine arts program... yes. A bunch of students benchmarked and drilled for a test...no.

Long post, but how can SAISD be fixed... or, can it be fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Great post Montirob and great topic. I no longer have any children in school but when I did, my two sons both attended school in SAISD. I really don't think throwing more money at the problem is going to fix it. I think a good portion of the money I give the schools now is wasted on things that are not nessesary for learning as it is. If I were King the first place I would start is disipline. When one of my sons was in middle school I would sometimes go to teachers meeting during the day. A few times I happened to get there when classes were changing. As an adult walking the crowded hall of a middle school, I was appalled at being bumped into and literally pushed aside by students and this was a MIDDLE SCHOOL. When I was in school, including High School, if there was a teacher or any adult near by you tended to tone your behaviour down at least a little bit. I mentioned this to the school staff who just shrugged it off. My sons told me that it was even worse in High School. The teachers were actually afraid of some of the students. A friend of mine was a SAISD police officer for a while. He finally quit due to the fact that he was afraid to take action for fear of being sued. Which was a real possibility. First you have to fix that. Money can't fix that.
The next thing I would do is start holding back students that for what ever reason did not master the material to a sufficient level. If they didn't learn to walk last year then they will never learn to run next year. I am told they don't do that much anymore because it hurts the childs self esteem. Bull. One year when I was in school at mid year I was told that if I didn't get my grades up I would be held back a year. Guess who stopped being so lazy and started doing their school work. It was hard catching up but I went on to the next grade level.
The third thing I would do in my imaginary kingdom is stop spending so much money on things that don't matter. Like lavish top dollar swanky school buildings. When did they figure out that in order to learn you must attend school in a Las Vegas Hotel.
I guess it's a good thing I'm not really the King. I imagine the politicians and the School Board and the School Builders would have me burned at the stake.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,125 times
It is a tough situation for SAISD. Considering they are 90%+ economically disadvantaged, the schools face many issues beyond education that affect education.

Is the higher tax rate going to help? Probably not. Its a joke when operating tax is raised 15%, and their teachers will receive a 2% raise. I think that gives me a general idea to where the money is going to go.

I think the only way to really help the situation is think long term. Ie. re-vitalize the inner city into a safe place where lots of people want to live. As a result, this would help school performance and attract more teachers.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
I think the only way to really help the situation is think long term. Ie. re-vitalize the inner city into a safe place where lots of people want to live. As a result, this would help school performance and attract more teachers.
Except that it is a chicken and egg type of problem. No one wants to be the first to send their kids to the neighborhood school and make it great.

I think some of the inner city areas are already revitalized, but the schools are not. I would really like to see the data on how many kids that live in the historic districts or other "revitalized" areas actually send their kids to the public schools. Perfect example: a couple of years ago our neighborhood planned to give a scholarship to a neighborhood graduating senior attending the local high school. We had to expand the criteria to include any high school, because NO ONE was graduating from the SAISD school that is smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood. They were either at Health Careers, Business Careers, Incarnate Word, or somewhere else.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM

131 posts, read 378,998 times
trafic,i tend to agree with your idea of revitalizing the inner city. I think a change in parents attitudes about school would also help. In myopinon I feel that man parents don't see school as a chance for thierchildren to get ahead, more of a they have to go situiation.Every school district offers a different education.Who's better, hell if I know. All I know is that they are different. The important factor is that every child deserves a chance to succeed. Our schoolsystems are flawed.Throwing money at the problem isn't going to fix anything.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Except that it is a chicken and egg type of problem. No one wants to be the first to send their kids to the neighborhood school and make it great.
Not necessarily. The top 10% rule can be quite a motivation for parents to be first movers. That would probably get the ball rolling for secondary schools.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post

I think some of the inner city areas are already revitalized, but the schools are not. I would really like to see the data on how many kids that live in the historic districts or other "revitalized" areas actually send their kids to the public schools. Perfect example: a couple of years ago our neighborhood planned to give a scholarship to a neighborhood graduating senior attending the local high school. We had to expand the criteria to include any high school, because NO ONE was graduating from the SAISD school that is smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood. They were either at Health Careers, Business Careers, Incarnate Word, or somewhere else.
hmmm, a lot of parents have their kids at one private school (The Circle School), but most in my 'hood send their kids to Bonham a couple of blocks away. Our daughter isn't old enough for school yet, but that's what we'll do.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM

RE: 10% rule. Good point. A friend in Olmos Park Terrace has said that he also knew some people that took advantage of this rule - they would go to private school until about 10th grade and then transfer to Edison where they could graduate near the top of the class.

My concern is not necessarily the high schools, but rather the elementary, primarily because in a couple of years my kid will be of age. The problem is that our elementary is notoriously bad. It also doesn't help that SAISD splits our neighborhood in half - you can't build a "critical mass" with only half of a neighborhood. As I've mentioned in another thread, our neighborhood is an "island". Perhaps in time, if our neighborhood's revitalization spreads to surrounding areas, Traficdogn's view will be realized.

I will have to do more research on Bonham. Chakapu, besides the Spanish Immersion Program, what about Bonham makes it work? More active parents? A great administration? I also knew someone who, after multiple complaints, was able to transfer their son to Hawthorne. Supposedly, they have more innovative teaching because of a partnership with Trinity University.

Anyone have any views on the new "academies" which have K-8th in one school? I'm thinking that by having smaller numbers in each grade, a group of active parents can more easily effect change.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,463 times
Do any of you live in district 5? we are having a town hall meeting regarding the new Texas p-16 legislation. we want to set up an education advisory board which would help aid the P-16 program.

anyone interested?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
M, my family was in NISD( thats why I am still on SA bds sometimes) and moved up to north of Austin for job reasons but the district that we ended up in , Leander ISD I was told had the same sort of problems that SAISD has about 10-15 years ago. Perception I think being a big one and now LISD is always mentioned when speaking of some of the better ISDs in the area. You might try to talk to someone at the district office if you are truly interested in this to see how the turn around was done. I have to say that this district (about 25000 kids) is light years better than the experences we had at NISD. We sent my son to a private school before we moved because we were so unhappy with NISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio