Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM

10 posts, read 54,214 times

Advertisements

Help! Possible opportunity in Bandera. What's the atmosphere like? Have a son about to enter middle school and active in sports.....anyone have input in that area?
Also looking to just rent since we don't know the area. Anyone have info on rent houses (not apartments)...can't seem to find anything online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Try this link. There are 6 properties listed for rent in Bandera, TX.

MySA.com: San Antonio real estate, new and resale home listings, MLS listings, and apartments l MySA.com Real Estate Online

Click on the RENT tab, then select SEARCH BY CITY from the Search by Property pull-down tab.
Type in BANDERA and there you have it.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,227 times
i like the town...a little to small for me but it nice

Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
I like Bandera as well, the self-proclaimed "Cowboy Capital of the World." But it is crowded on the weekends, with tourists and motorcycles all over the place (myself included). The main street is always abcked up when we come home from the Hill Country. But if you don't need a HEB or WalMart to survive, then I suspect it would be a nice, quiet place to live...

Cheers! M2

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
I live in Bandera County. I have two daughters who attend Bandera schools. We love it. The schools are very small, the middle school offers sports starting in the 7th grade. I believe there are around 200 kids in each grade (at least in the highschool).
I don't know if you have lived in a small town before but there are definitely small town politics in Bandera. Everybody knows everyone else's business.

There are two weekly papers, you can check them out online at Bandera Bulletin and Bandera County Courier You will be able to check out rental property there. You will see from the articles that there isn't a whole lot happening in Bandera.

If you like living life in the fastlane then Bandera is definitely NOT for you. If you like peaceful evenings and small town atmosphere then you will fit right in. And like Majormadmax said there is no Walmart or HEB right around the corner. I do my grocery shopping in Boerne or San Antonio. But Hwy 16 comes into SA and it is a very nice highway, you can be in San Antonio (loop 1604) in 25 minutes.

One more thing, Bandera is growing by leeps and bounds. There are lots of opportunities for the right person. Good luck~

Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all the input. If my hubby takes the job it is Super S foods that would bring us out there.
I am a paraprofessional for special education at the elementary school here and honestly would like to find a job with the schools out there. Not sure what if much is available.
Smallest town we've lived in is about 15,000 so it would be a change. How long does it take you to go into downtown San Antonio?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Bandera to downtown San Antonio is approximately 50 miles. About an hour or so during non-rush-hour traffic. Probably double that if you have to deal with traffic...

But there are a lot of stores on the NW side of San Antonio meaning you don't have to go all the way downtown to do shopping. You can take Rt 16 straight into Helotes and there is an HEB and Target right there, with a WalMart nearby, plus a ton of restaurants...

Cheers! M2

Old 10-09-2007, 04:48 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
You can check out teaching jobs here Bandera Independent School District - Bandera, Texas USA or Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

Honestly, I go to downtown SA probably once a year (if that). Like Majormadmax said, there are plenty of places to shop and eat on the NW side of San Antonio.

Here is the link to the Bandera Chamber of Commerce: Bandera County Texas Chamber of Commerce

If you don't like the small town atmosphere, your hubby could always commute. You could buy in Helotes or NW San Antonio and his drive wouldn't be bad at all. Heck, most people in Bandera are commuting to SA for their jobs.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Well he did accept the job. So the hunt for a home to rent continues. I am finding alot outside of Bandera, 30+ mile radius. But nothing in Bandera or less than 30 miles which is frustrating. I've only seen a couple two bedrooms or 3 br 1 bath, nothing of any appeal. Surely there is something.....

Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't concentrate on the distance as much as I would the time of the commute. Mine is 22 miles from my house to where I work on Lackland AFB, but I can make it in about 25 minutes, which is more than acceptable to me. With Bandera being such a small and very rural town, I am not surprised that things are a bit more "spread out" than in the city. Don't be dejected, there are a lot of houses out there and I am sure you will find one to suit your tastes...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio