Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,383,993 times

Advertisements

Great honor for Boerne!

Small town gets big recognition: Boerne among America's best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 PM

45 posts, read 131,056 times
Has anyone used liveability in their search to find a place to live? I honestly had not heard of it before today. I wonder how much influence this will actually have? I am contemplating moving there, don't want more competition than necessary to buy a house. We bid on one house in June and the owner would not go down any $$, despite no concessions, plus no points for him to pay, so we dropped our offer. Still looking for that big house on acreage on one floor, with a florida room!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,383,993 times
Based on the article, and the source page at Livability.com, their ratings encompass a wide range of factors that are taken into consideration when potential buyers look for areas to live. I moved to Boerne in 2010 and could not be happier with the location. Great schools, great local shops, wineries, restaurants, friendly people, and lots to do.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM

545 posts, read 1,066,962 times
Seems like a nice town. What struck me was you saw a lot of kids 10-15 wandering around, which is a very rare sight in the Medical Center.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 17,000,005 times
Yet, Fredericksburg is one of the 100 Must-Visit-Towns in the world, or something like that. Personally, I've always liked Boerne at least as much as Fredericksburg, maybe even a little more. Mainly, for the fact that it is so much closer to San Antonio. They also have a Walmart and just seem to have more of that convenience, which probably helps free up the smaller shops to specialize more.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,086,655 times
We love Boerne, it helps that there are some great backroads between the Helotes area and there so it doesn't require battling traffic on IH-10! It's the perfect size town, not too large but a fair amount of things to see and do. The flea markets in the downtown square can be fun, and although most of the stores cater to tourists (antiques, etc), it's still enjoyable to walk down Main Street (the signs actually say Hochstraße!) and shop.

We do miss the old Walmart though, it was one of the last "smaller" sized ones and fit the town's image a little better than the Super Walmart that now exists; but at least they did something with the old location instead of letting it sit vacant!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,844,085 times
Wal-Mart is like a tumor that can not be removed. It just grows and grows, eventually suffucating the town and killing off all the small businesses. It will happen in Boerne eventually if not already.

This is comming from soneone who grew up in Hondo before Wal-Mart existed there. I hate to see it happen but oh well....

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 17,000,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Wal-Mart is like a tumor that can not be removed. It just grows and grows, eventually suffucating the town and killing off all the small businesses. It will happen in Boerne eventually if not already.

This is comming from soneone who grew up in Hondo before Wal-Mart existed there. I hate to see it happen but oh well....
I disagree. A Walmart to a small town is pure gold. As good as a major crossroads in the old days. If anything the Super Walmart has been even better than the original one.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,844,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I disagree. A Walmart to a small town is pure gold. As good as a major crossroads in the old days. If anything the Super Walmart has been even better than the original one.
We can agree to disagree. I speak from personal experience seeing many old businesses that existed for many years fail in my own hometown right after we got the Wal-Mart and for what? Cheap Chinese made junk and low wages? Pure gold?

I am not saying I am anti Wal-Mart. I am saying they don't belong in small towns.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM

11,582 posts, read 14,009,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Cheap Chinese made junk and low wages?
Yawn. Come up with some new material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio