Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 06:57 AM

154 posts, read 630,864 times

Advertisements

Hubby happened to be watching that show on HGTV where people convert commercial buildings for residential use. We started wondering if one can do that here, or build residential on a commercial lot.

Do you have to get a zoning variance, and is it hard to do? I know it's tough to get residential zoned for commercial, but what about the reverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,207 times
You'll most likely have to get it rezoned. It's not a terribly tough process if you have a valid reason and the re-zoning makes sense.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
It costs aproximatly $1500 to request a zoning change. I would check and see if it really is necassary to get the change in zoning before spending the money. I know you need to get the change if going from reidential to commercial. I don't know about the other way around.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Thanks. We spied a lot in an area we like downtown near Lavaca, but it's zoned commercial. It's not a totally commercial area, though - it's basically one lot back from the main street (commercial), and everything behind it is houses. Probably not much objection from neighbors to building residential there (they'd probably like it better than commercial, actually.) There's also that old firehouse that hubby is drooling over *grin*, but I told him it's too big and likely way too expensive.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:10 PM

454 posts, read 505,076 times
We've been drooling over the firehouse too.
Be concientious about what you do, however. There's an ongoing fight right now re: a commercial establishment in the area. Some residents are trying to block the renewal of its liquor license, citing neighborhood disturbances. Interesting enough, the main person fighting it (from what I gather) bought _after_ the establishment was already in place.

Some people want the idea of the commercial district, but not all that goes with it.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
We've been drooling over the firehouse too.
Be concientious about what you do, however.
Oh, we will be conscientious. One of the reasons we'd like to be downtown is the sense of community - we'd try to be sensitive to the local aesthetic if we built/added on/whatever. We're not out to fight with and alienate the neighborhood.

We poked around the edges of King William, and Lavaca and Southtown some more this morning. We had breakfast at Mad Hatter, then drove and walked all over, passing judgement on who had renovated/modernized/built additions in a good way, and who had tacked on crap that didn't fit. Mostly getting ideas and seeing what streets might still have some (relative) bargains.

The firehouse is SO cool! Hubby wants the pole, and to open the big doors and have a beer (dark, please) while tourists wander into his house. LOL! Dream on.

But there is also an old Deco/Art Moderne style house on the back side of Lavaca half buried under vines and shrubbery that we were all "oooh...you could do so much with that!" over as well. You can still see some of the glass block and black tiles. It looks like it was also used as a seafood place and machine shop or something at one time? I forget the street name.

We've looked around in Monte Vista, Beacon Hill, etc as well, but so far are liking the "vibe" of the South Presa area more. The upgrades don't all seem to be such slavishishly correct historic restorations - they throw a little "funk" in there too. :-)

Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM

454 posts, read 505,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
But there is also an old Deco/Art Moderne style house on the back side of Lavaca half buried under vines and shrubbery that we were all "oooh...you could do so much with that!" over as well. You can still see some of the glass block and black tiles. It looks like it was also used as a seafood place and machine shop or something at one time? I forget the street name.

We've looked around in Monte Vista, Beacon Hill, etc as well, but so far are liking the "vibe" of the South Presa area more. The upgrades don't all seem to be such slavishishly correct historic restorations - they throw a little "funk" in there too. :-)
If you're talking about the place on Labor St, I don't think that's for sale ;-). The owners are very active members of the community and working hard at restoring the place - like most of us, the inside first. But I agree, it's a very cool spot.

It's true there's a little funk thrown in, but as it's an historic district, the designs have to be approved by the historic design and commission review board. Restoration is the key word, rather than remodel. They're fussy about that

But I agree, we love the vibe too, that's why we chose to buy here after renting in the 'hood for a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio