Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,014,072 times

Advertisements

For one, while politics are involved, this is still primarily and foremost a LEGAL issue.

I for one don't care where a person is from as long as they are in this country legally.

And it's no different than any other country in the world, when I go there I have to abide by their laws. If I don't, and get caught, I have to pay the consequences no matter how much I may disagree.

It is a matter of sovereignty, any nation has a right to determine who it lets within its borders. The US is not advocating not letting people in, they only stipulate it must be done to the laws of the nation.

It is no different than any other crime being committed...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,398,179 times
Default Castro & Anti-Immigrant States Rights,

States Rights are easily secondary and have sometimes been an unconstitutional infringement on human rights.
Take the civil war in one instance, waged by Texas.
States Rights-- lost the civil war for the confederacy. Confederate state govts. were so suspicious of the centralization of Govt. that no draft or suspension of habeas corpus was instituted, the "President" of the confederacy had to fight
a war with one hand tied behind his back. He would have lost anyway.
This states rights policy let union supporters of the south combat the south from within ,militarily, and heavily even, in Jones County Alabama. States rights was destructive to its' own existence.
Prior to the passage of Civil Rights legislation in 1965 "states rights" was what kept Jim Crow Laws and legal discrimination,segregation and voter suppression legal. This states rights was what Senators Like Richard Russell, Strom Thurmond and others hid behind in order to subjugate millions of persons.
Our own LBJ was as bigoted as the rest of them, only apparently however, then in one of the biggest political flip-flops, one to surely make Romney look like an amateur , he was able to rescind all of the above mentioned nonsense and remove all of the whites only signs in one fell swoop, from the south.
Senator Harry Byrd was another very famous flip flopper states righter ranging from KKK member to black political advocate after fifty years in the U.S. Senate.
States Rights would allow Texas to Secede from the union.
Right.
These are just a very few examples, of why the federal govt. files suit against these state law rights ? The federal govt. helps balance the scales
of justice.
Anti Immigration talk, Hot Topic? OHHHHHHHHHH! It is a political gamble for some Repub..nominees, possibly suicide
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I haven't heard... but is there something wrong with the mayor being opposed to illegal immigration? It's still illegal. 75% of my coworkers are Mexican Americans and they feel the same way....

Since it's going to end up being locked or moved probably since it's a hot topic... I think more people from south of the border should be able to gain citizenship legally. There's 2 sides to every story, neither are doing it right. Notice nobody wants to address the issue, but when a state exercises it's own rights.... the Federal govt. freaks out. Can't always have your cake and eat it too. One thing we can probably all agree on is the lack of addressing the real issues is a damn shame.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,795,646 times
What is so difficult to understand? If they are not supposed to be here, then they should leave.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 AM

123 posts, read 258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
For one, while politics are involved, this is still primarily and foremost a LEGAL issue.

I for one don't care where a person is from as long as they are in this country legally.

And it's no different than any other country in the world, when I go there I have to abide by their laws. If I don't, and get caught, I have to pay the consequences no matter how much I may disagree.

It is a matter of sovereignty, any nation has a right to determine who it lets within its borders. The US is not advocating not letting people in, they only stipulate it must be done to the laws of the nation.

It is no different than any other crime being committed...

Cheers! M2
I totally agree.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 17,266 times
It would be nice for the media to talk about and focus on talking about those LEGAL immigrants that are still awaiting for their paperwork to come out USCIS. These LEGAL immigrants are patiently waiting in line for their green cards, thru family or employment for at least 6-20 years...The government should fast track their paperwork and be eligible to be citizen one day. Now, those ILLEGALS should be put at the end of the line and those that has criminal record be deported no exceptions. Those ILLEGALS from Arizona and other states that implemented their own immigration laws probably drove them out to other states like Texas. Who knows how many are there now here in San Antonio...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM

358 posts, read 578,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Just because Chili is further than Mexico, it doesn't stop a Chilean from getting here.

I've never seen a can of Hormel take someone's job.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,414,407 times
Does anyone believe that if the reverse were true, and there were a bloc of 15,000,000 illegal Western Europeans with conservative values living in our country, that the current administration would be touting amnesty?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM

944 posts, read 2,043,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
What is so difficult to understand? If they are not supposed to be here, then they should leave.
Word.

ESPECIALLY if they are not contributing more than they are taking from the U.S. or have broken any other laws (aside from being present illegally). If either of those is the case then definitely, definitely get the heck out regardless of their country of origin or whether their skin is brown, olive, yellow or white as the driven snow.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM

282 posts, read 472,770 times
I'd love to see this sign...

Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,885,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
I'd love to see this sign...
I don't think it exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio