Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 11:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Been eating there often since I was a little kid up to my early 20's or so. Same for Herman Son's. My family are huge fans of both places.

I didn't say I am not a fan of Sammy's really...just can't do greasy food like I used to.

I will say that I still love me some Herman Son's pepper steak once in awhile.

What is it about Sammy's that you like? Just curious.
Nothing in particular, I just enjoy the food. It beats the other burger place in Castroville (I can't recall the name right now). I like Billy Bobs Burgers too, although not as much as Sams. Of course Hermann Sons is good too, but that is not a place I can afford to go all the time unfortunately.

There is another Sammy's in Beeville that is even better than the one in Castroville. I am fairly certain they are not related in anyway but I find it quite funny that there are two Sammy's Burger establishments that are completely separate from each other.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM

501 posts, read 776,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
As long as Bill & Rosa's in D'Hanis survives. Best food anywhere.
Been going to Sammy's since my teen years. Have yet to try Hermann Sons steak house... it's on the bucket list.
I've been wondering about Sammy's since my high school days when I saw "Performance" starring Mick Jagger in what can rightly be call the first music video ever. Had NO idea it was an actual place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qgmVb4-kU

Old 07-30-2020, 05:46 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Noticed recently Hermann Sons has been "temporarily" closed, although a banner out front advertises dine-in, take out, or delivery.
They had a Covid outbreak. They're reopening tomorrow (July 31st) - may have to make a run out there Saturday for my pepper steak fix!

Old 11-27-2020, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 25,412 times
ate at hermann sons a few times, food was alright. it's nothing to get excited over.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:11 AM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTx77 View Post
ate at hermann sons a few times, food was alright. it's nothing to get excited over.
There is no "good, German food" anywhere in San Antonio AND area.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
More recently the only real choke point I've seen is Waco.. ..unless you're going at night when there is road work every 10 miles it seems.
Right, but Waze always redirected me to save time.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
It is longer because you want to stop and eat and check out the interesting little towns. It was for us anyway. enjoyed it much more than 35
We were not in a hurry.
I can leave early to have the extra time. Tell me about things to see, places to stop and eat

Old 11-30-2020, 06:28 PM

245 posts, read 236,045 times
I take either 281 or I35 many times per year to go back and forth between New Braunfels and Wichita Falls. I either go up FM 306 from New Braunfels (Bucees exit) and catch 281 on the other side of Canyon Lake and take it all the way to Wichita Falls, or I go up 35 to 35W in Ft Worth and pick up 287 to Wichita Falls.

Both routes are almost exactly the same. Right at 6 hours or just a hair under. If you get stuck in Austin, Waco (construction), or Ft Worth, I35 can actually take longer. There is NEVER any traffic to speak of on 281. You will have to slow down in towns for a few minutes on 281, but once you get out of towns, you are doing 75-80 easy. There are passing lanes every few miles, so if you get behind some slow old timer, you can pass pretty quickly usually. The most "traffic" on 281 is usually in Marble Falls, where you can get backed up on some stop lights for 5-10 minutes at most. Otherwise you breeze right through every other small town. The speed limit for large stretches of 281 is 75 MPH. It's also scenic for a lot of the drive. Much more relaxing drive that 35. If I am driving in the evening and I feel like there won't be much traffic on I35, I will take that route on occasion, because you don't have to slow down in towns like 281. That said, both routes take almost exactly the same, down to within a few minutes.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:57 AM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right, but Waze always redirected me to save time.
I was happy to use Waze over the Holiday, the once in a blue moon I use it .. it probably saved me a ticket or two .. cops littered I-35 .. traffic was heavy but still moved fairly well .. or atleast compared to Thanksgiving before last when there were like 4 major work zones on it where I thought I would never get back.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-02-2020 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 08:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I was happy to use Waze over the Holiday, the once in a blue moon I use it .. it probably saved me a ticket or two .. cops littered I-35 .. traffic was heavy but still moved fairly well .. or atleast compared to Thanksgiving before last when there were like 4 major work zones on it where I thought I would never get back.
Traffic was horrible from south Austin to northwest SA on Wednesday. Thursday evening was fine but Wednesday was like rush hour bad. But I also think you were headed to Dallas and I was headed to San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio