Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 PM

487 posts, read 991,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
I didn't say SA is a poor retail market, but it is near the bottom of the list for certain segments of the industry.
Not trying to pick fight...just providing some perspective to your comment about other 20 cities being first on your list. Relative to its size, San Antonio actually fares above average, perhaps because of the out-of-town customers. They tend to spend a lot of money on apparel and footwear, which are the relevant segments in this case.

Just out of curiosity, which segments are you thinking of? Do you have any data on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
I don't know about Uniqlo (didn't seem very unique in the linked video) but retail seems to do pretty well in San Antonio. I don't know if it's the Mexican influence (all the Mexican nationals driving to SA and San Marcos and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars every year) or just the sheer number of people in SA. Look at the link below
Employment growth expected to bolster San Antonio?s retail market - San Antonio Business Journal

It ranks San Antonio #14 in the country for retail.

So, perhaps it would be a good location for a Uniqlo after all...
It makes me laugh whenever I see people saying our economy is being boosted by the influx of Mexican shoppers. While San Antonio and San Marcos definately gets some help from Mexican shoppers, I doubt that alone is pushing SA retail to the #14 mark nationwide (if that is even true).

If that was really true, we would be seeing a lot of higher end stores that won't even dare step foot here as a stand alone retail store.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,771 times
Default Trader Joe's

Funny you should mention Trader Joe's, they are building one in the old West Elm location.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
It makes me laugh whenever I see people saying our economy is being boosted by the influx of Mexican shoppers. While San Antonio and San Marcos definately gets some help from Mexican shoppers, I doubt that alone is pushing SA retail to the #14 mark nationwide (if that is even true).

If that was really true, we would be seeing a lot of higher end stores that won't even dare step foot here as a stand alone retail store.
Hey, I didn't say that out of towners were the only reason SA retail fared better than it should for it size, only that it helped. You seem to agree that we do get help from Mexican buyers.

Link below shows San Antonio is #25 largest metro area in the country. We know that average income in SA is at best average, so there must be other reason it ranks better in retail (to rank #14 in the other study).
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure I got your last point. I don't think Mexicans are only looking for upscale stores. I actually see a lot of them shoping at discount places like the outlets in San Marcos and TJMaxx. But also, higher end stores are you thinking of? I think we have a good share of upscale stores for a city our size. If you are thinking NYC type stores, well...no, we don't have many of those. And please, Ikea and TJs don't count as "upscale"

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Chilling View Post
Funny you should mention Trader Joe's, they are building one in the old West Elm location.
Is that a fact or just repeating what the news have "reported"?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Hey, I didn't say that out of towners were the only reason SA retail fared better than it should for it size, only that it helped. You seem to agree that we do get help from Mexican buyers.

Link below shows San Antonio is #25 largest metro area in the country. We know that average income in SA is at best average, so there must be other reason it ranks better in retail (to rank #14 in the other study).
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure I got your last point. I don't think Mexicans are only looking for upscale stores. I actually see a lot of them shoping at discount places like the outlets in San Marcos and TJMaxx. But also, higher end stores are you thinking of? I think we have a good share of upscale stores for a city our size. If you are thinking NYC type stores, well...no, we don't have many of those. And please, Ikea and TJs don't count as "upscale"
I never considered IKEA "upscale" but we don't have one of those here as you already know. Ask Quattro72 why, he is the resident expert on why we don't have certain establishments here.

As for Trader Joes, I will believe it when I see it despite the recent news that they are opening here.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Some people read too much into not having an Ikea or TJs...and jump to the conclusion that if they are not in San Antonio today it must be because the city cannot suppport it. Store chains expansion is driven by many factors, including the overall economy, cash flow/financing capacity, regional strategies, competition, etc. I remember ten years ago, when I first moved to Dallas, my wife and I had to drive all the way to Houston to get to the closest Ikea. We couldn't believe how a city like Dallas didn't have one but Houston did or many other smaller cities. The store eventually came to Dallas.

We also could't believe how there was no Zara in all of Texas, but like 20 in Mexico City (Dallas alone has like 5 times the purchasing power of Mexico City). Eventually one store came...and one to Houston, San Antonio and Austin.

We don't have an Aldi in San Antonio...we had it back in Lawrence, KS (population ~80K). Does that mean San Antonio can't support it? They are not in Houston or Los Angeles or San Francisco.

But back to Uniqlo Moderator cut: See Comment, I hope they open a store here, just for the sake of having more variety. They could perhaps put it next to Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-19-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderator actions is not allowed in the public forums.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
I've been shopping at the Soho location for several years. It is the only place I buy denim. I can't imagine they will be in SA anytime in the next few years. I can name 20 cities minimum that would be up first. We can't even get a H&M and they have been expanding in the US for 8-10 years.

Keep dreaming imo.
The ny store isn't all that either. The selection is very limited, and most of it is pricey. (I'm comparing this directly to the uniqlo's in japan).

I honestly think they keep the NY store toned back just so people appreciate their trips to japan.

I do agree, their pants are nicely fitted for the price even in ny. I especially like the free adjusting.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Chilling View Post
Funny you should mention Trader Joe's, as I visited one the other day here in the city where I am on business; and it only made me wonder why people think a small, hippie grocery store would do well in SA!

I mean, it's a nice if you're a vegan or something, but I don't think the concept would do too well with the general populace in San Antonio.

Actually, I found it quite humorous that the majority of customers in the store I was in were in pretty bad shape.

Still, the tattooed, pierced employees working there were entertaining!

Oh, and this who thread on Uniqlo was done simple because some folks think San Antonio needs every store and restaurant in the world. Maybe after Disney builds here it could happen, but otherwise I don't see it happening...

Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Trader Joe's will do very well here IF they land inside 410 as mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio