Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,372 times

Advertisements

I am moving to San Antonio in about a month or two, and have begun to look online at houses. I don't know much about the area and what neighborhoods are safe and which are not particularly safe. I found a house I just love (at least looking at it online) and it is located in Beacon Hill. What can you tell me about that neighborhood? What kind of folks live there? Is there a lot of crime? Is the neighborhood friendly? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 PM

13 posts, read 78,721 times
I grew up close to the area and although I believe there are some people who are renovating the old houses in the area it is still inner city. As a life long resident of the Westside, I have realized that it is not so much an entire neighborhood that is bad but rather individuals. So I would advise you to drive by the area and see for yourself.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
Some blocks are okay, and some are not. A lot of the area inside loop 410 is like that. You really do need to visit first. I would also suggest that you rent first and regularly drive through these neighborhoods you are interested in. Walk down the street. Talk to people in the neighborhood. This could save you a lot of grief that you would experience if you buy and then realize shortly thereafter that the cute house is really in a slummy area (that did not look so slummy as your adrenaline was pumping at the excitement of how cute the house was). Also very important to consider is where you are moving from. You need to talk to others who have moved to SA from that place, as I have found that most local people do not see their world the same way I do (as a former Californian). Good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:02 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Look at areas in North and Northwest San Antonio (outside 410).

Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,681 times
I am a single woman and have lived in Beacon Hill for eight years. I've never had a problem. As has been said, some blocks are better than others. I feel safe. I work late and come in a lot at night. A lot of people walk in the area or bike, which I like. There are rentals available reasonably. The area tends to be from about ago 30-way older. The sidewalks aren't great but the city has been fixing those. The neighbors are friendly enough but not especially nosy. It's quiet. I live right off Mistletoe and I sleep just fine.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I lived in Beacon Hill for two years and let me tell you this: find somewhere else. One jump over to Monte Vista might be a little better, but Beacon Hill is rough.

The area is very run down. There is probably an even mix of single family homes and mansions that were divided into 4 units or so in order to turn them into apartments. That is the problem. Home owners/single family renters take care of their homes while cheap renters ruin an area.

I am male and I was always scared of the area.

The area is also overrun with feral dogs. When I walked my dog I had to always carry a big stick with me. I have been attacked by numerous pit bulls, rottweilers, Dobbermen and assorted other dogs.

There are few restaurants in the area, and no stores. In terms of groceries there is a small HEB in the area but it is very Ghetto. I often found myself going two neighborhoods over to shop at their neighborhood instead.

Be fore warned. San Antonio doesn't have a lot in terms of grocery stores. It is basically HEB or walmart. San ANtonians seem to think that HEB is a savior, but because of the lack of competition, HEB seems hella expensive to an outsider. A study was done and found that on average HEB is 30% more expensive than their only competition Walmart.

So for every 100 bucks you spend at HEB you would have saved 30 bucks at Walmart

Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
actually no. can't remember who did it but it wasn't walmart.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,885 times
Beacon Hill is the area just north/northwest of downtown san antonio that forms a square of sides from about i-10 to san pedro, and hildebrand to woodlawn. my sister and i have shared a rental in this area for a couple years. we live in a house together on mistletoe ave, and the upstairs is one apartment, and the bottom is the other, so we're just a floor away from each other. the house was built this way in the 1920s and has not been converted at all. our landlord is NOT a slum landlord and takes very good care of his house, although i have seen some rental properties in the area that are not in good shape. i have heard but am not sure how true it is, that beacon hill is trying to get the city of san antonio to recognize the area as a historical district. if this happens, landlords will have to maintain their properties much better. i feel very safe in this neighborhood, especially after speaking and getting to know some of the neighbors. the neighborhood is very active, with children playing, people running and yes, there are plenty of dogs and cats roaming the area as well. beacon hill offers $10 spay/neutering for feral animal that are brought in. there's not enough room at the animal defense league for all the feral animals in the city, but at least this area is offering a way to stop the population of these animals. in the parking lot on thursdays at the beacon hill church on woodlawn at michigan ave they have an itty bitty farmer's market on thursdays from 9am til 2pm. the beacon hill area, along with the surrounding areas as well, tends to be a bit liberal and eccentric-friendly. you're just a hop, skip, and jump away from a bunch of interesting places and hangouts. overall, i've had a lot of fond memories in this neighborhood, and would recommend to anyone who's interested! i hope i've addressed your issues!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 PM

144 posts, read 360,073 times
BellaBee, I think the eastern boundary of Beacon Hill is more around Blanco, or maybe follows the railroad tracks... Then it's Alta Vista from there over to San Pedro...

Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
I have a friend who lives on Agarita Street, which I think is Beacon Hill (or close to it). I don't think he's ever had any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio