Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times

Advertisements

I am moving within the next 24 months to SA from cleveland ohio. I am thinking of moving to Beacon Hill or Pecan Valley can anyone tell me about those area's are they safe? I also would like to rent for a year before I buy that way I will know what area I really want to live in. Do these area's have alot of rental property would prefer to rent a house not a apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,561,226 times
Beacon Hill is an up and coming historic district near the high-rent Monte Vista. Nice area, but individual houses are hit and miss. Some great, some look like crack houses. It's a great area to live and invest in if you're willing to tolerate the early days of revitalization - it's well on it's way, but it's still early. Lots of artist/architect/university types.

Pecan Valley is nice enough, but IMO, not really "interesting." Typical suburban middle class, older communities than those on the north side (60s/70s housing stock). Nice safe area though.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,737,850 times
Interesting take on Pecan Valley. It is mostly typical tract housing, but when built, it was the site of the Parade of Homes. There are some interesting houses in Pecan Valley built like most mid-century modern homes. When E.J. Burke developed it and Pecan Valley golf course, for some reason, there weren't any golf course sites.

Last edited by RGJ; 11-22-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM

262 posts, read 433,821 times
In Beacon Hill you would live the early DECADES of gentrification.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 AM

437 posts, read 903,637 times
Between those two, I'd pick Beacon Hill. I love San Antonio's historic neighborhoods, and their old homes that are full of character and solidity. My question to you is: why a choice between those two particular neighborhoods? There are more interesting ones near Beacon Hill and the prices are about the same.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 AM

262 posts, read 433,821 times
I agree with sshurgot. As in many areas of the city, Beacon Hill's prices spiked during the real estate bubble (yes, San Antonio indeed had one, with prices in these areas more than doubling in a short period of time). Yet the architecture is less attractive and condition of the neighborhood is more spotty than other nearby historical areas such as Alta Vista and Monticello Park that are similarly priced. Most of that neighborhood looks like it rotted for months under a Katrina-like tidal surge.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 AM

437 posts, read 903,637 times
Part of Beacon Hill is too close to IH-10 and to the railroad tracks. Proffer's description of Beacon Hill homes is accurate. Alta Vista is a great neighborhood; I like the homes in Monticello Park as well. If you were interested in buying, the foundation problems in that area might be a concern but if you're renting it's not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio