Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 AM

108 posts, read 241,566 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to have jewelry appraised not for the gold but for the item itself.

This weekend I went to the great estate antique roadshow at the Westin La Cantera but all they were interested in was the gold or silver. I called some jewelers and they told me the same thing. I wanted to have a vintage watch appraised so that I know what a fair price is when I do sell it. Please let me know If there is a reputable place I can take it. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,644 times
I had my rings appraised at Jared @ The Rim. Once a month they bring in a private appariaser. You have to call them to make an appointment and the price is based on the items being appraised. You will receive official appraissal documents for insurance also.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM

163 posts, read 311,677 times
You might try J. Green in Stone Oak:
J. Green Jewelers

Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,129,269 times
We had some jewelry appraised at Welcome to Penaloza and Sons

No appointment necessary and the appraisal is done on site. They seemed very professional. Had to leave the items with them for about a week, IIRC, but the report they produced was very detailed and included photos.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM

I called up Jared and they said the apprasial will cost between $250.00 and $400.00. I don't even know the value of what I have because it might be worth less than the appraisal cost.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,845,273 times
With all due respect, think about what you're asking for - an expert evaluation of a retail value of an item. That's going to take time and a knowledgeable person to preform it. Now, I do think that $400 would seem high, but I can see $150-250......

Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM

584 posts, read 1,193,644 times
When I did my appraisal at Jared I had two wedding sets. There were small diamonds in each set along with the center stones. All four pieces were about $550 which I thought was very reasonable for the detail I got and of course the piece of mind that I have now with the appraisals and the insurance coverage. I lost my original engagement ring which I did have insured but it was a blanket not a detailed insured item. Now of course I feel much better about wearing my rings.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,558,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
With all due respect, think about what you're asking for - an expert evaluation of a retail value of an item. That's going to take time and a knowledgeable person to preform it. Now, I do think that $400 would seem high, but I can see $150-250......
Thank you!!!! As the daughter of a Gemologist, I was always maddened when customers would want my mother's service and expertise for little to nothing. SHE was the one who went to school for that and was spending time on the appraisal. Would THEY work for free??? <steps-off-soapbox>

To the OP, since what you're interested in seeking value for is a "vintage watch", I would suggest finding a watchmaker (you'd hafta search for that) and ask them if they think it might be worth the money to have it appraised. "Re-sale" value is a very different appraisal than for insurance. Unless it is a very high end watch, you may be better off just researching on eBay and the like to see what similar watches are actually selling for.

One thing my Pops always told people when they'd come into our store asking how much something was worth (cuz they wanted to sell it) was "It's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it!". Sage advice.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

I never had anything appraised before so I wasn't aware of the research put into it, it is true my purpose is to sell it. I want to sell it at a fair price to the consumer since most people have a tendency to over price their items. I will try going through a watchmaker since it makes more sense rather than have it appraised just for the gold or diamonds. I appreciate your advice,thanks.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,558,749 times
It does seem at first like it's just a simple "oh yeah, that's probably worth $XYZ", but then when ya stop and think about it ya start to see all the goes into it. And I'm sure you can tell that with a watch it's a TOTALLY different animal than say a wedding set that has gold/platinum/diamonds. If it's a very nice vintage watch (Swiss movement, mechanical) then it'll need to be gone thru also to check for any repairs or cleaning needed, at the very least. Watchmakers are a dying profession (TOATLLY different than the little kiosks that ya see in malls, DON'T take it to one of them!), so it may be tough to find somebody. (My parents had a business partner back in the late 70's to early 80's who was a watchmaker. He retired, at 75 years old, in the early '90's. I learned a LOT from that old guy! ) I wish you the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio