Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM

36 posts, read 149,044 times

Advertisements

My kids are currently attending a private montessori school and we think we might give public school a try.

We are willing to move anywhere, including Alamo Heights, in order to attend the best elementary school.

Any suggestions?

Help us, Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
I don't know how best is best going to be with all those Texas budget cuts to the schools this year.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
This is going to be a unbiased list of best elementary schools in the city.

San Antonio | CHILDREN AT RISK

Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
Even if you move by the "best school" it could be capped and your child may have to go elsewhere. So be sure to look at that when deciding.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

This is a very good list, but "best" is still subjective. The group weights the averages (gives "bonus" points) to schools that serve more economically disadvantaged kids. If you look at their spreadsheet, you will notice that some schools with significantly higher test scores are rated lower than others. That said, I do mostly agree with their rankings - the methodology is explained, not hidden; and one can always sort the rankings according to a different criteria.

As a spouse of a teacher working in a poor district, I agree with their statement, "CHILDREN AT RISK assumes a school [with a large at-risk population] must put forth more effort to retain and support these students through primary and secondary education. For this reason, these schools are given credit for having this at-risk student population." I think that the "bonus" given to poor schools is fair and accurately reflects the inherent difficulty of teaching (and learning) in these areas of the city.

My overall comments:
1. NEISD appears to be the premier district in the city.
2. NISD has both great and not-great schools (but, in my opinion, does more with less).
3. Alamo Heights High has the best SAT and ACT test scores, but lags in the TAKS. I'm not sure why.
4. Harlandale ISD has my respect. For a district that is as poor (or poorer) than SAISD to have both of their high schools ranked as high as the best two SAISD schools (which has 8 total) says something. Both are also ranked ahead of all of the other south SA schools, as well as other schools in more "prestigious" districts.

I know the OP only asked about elementary schools... sorry about veering off a bit and talking about high schools.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
My son's school was #10 on the list--not on the link but in the full article I read in the paper. From personal experience I LOVE IT. So much that it was the primary reason for moving back to San Antonio and I was very very careful to live within its boundaries. HOWEVER I live in Stone Oak, which apparently many people hate, so to go to Stone Oak Elementary you'd be forced to live over here with those of us who have learned to live with the horror to enjoy the benefits of excellent schools I have friends whose children attend or attended several other schools on the list--Hardy Oak (#1), Roan Forest and Encino Park. Hardy Oak has great feedback and Stone Oak's principal was their Vice-Principal so they are pretty similar (plus they are these lovely 1 story buildings compared to the 2 huge schools we also have out here--which get great reviews but are full of stairs) Another friend loved Encino Park but I recently heard a less happy review of the Kindergarten because it's been moved into one room--as in ALL the kids in one room! Don't know specifics on Roan Forest other then general happiness from parents and excellent ratings.

I have an AH friend who adores Northwood Elementary. She's had 2 kids there and is very happy. She's not even a native having married into AH and now divorced so she was impartial going in.

Good luck! I find I have been quite happy in SA public school especially after my experience farther north in a district that still buses kids across town, changes kids from school to school annually, and had a serious "stay-away" vibe toward the parents.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:

The 3 NEISD schools my kids attended (and one still attends) were in the top 10 on that list. I agree with those choices and the other NEISD schools that were included.

I just don't know enough about the schools in other districts to comment.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
NEISD is having budgetary troubles and layoffs, so what may have been "the best" may not be in the very near future. NISD is faring better, but as stated the entire state is under a crunch when it comes to education funding...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The 3 NEISD schools my kids attended (and one still attends) were in the top 10 on that list. I agree with those choices and the other NEISD schools that were included.

I just don't know enough about the schools in other districts to comment.
I just agree with the methodology behind the rankings. It's more than just someone saying "This is the best one because my kids go here..."

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
I just agree with the methodology behind the rankings. It's more than just someone saying "This is the best one because my kids go here..."
Sorry that I didn't make my point more clearly. We chose to live where we do back in 2002 after researching the numbers and consulting with native locals, because we wanted to be in the attendance area of those 3 schools. They've been excellent for years. To me, that validates the methodology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio