Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 134,518 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. We are closing on our first home soon and the only thing that needs to be fixed is the master shower. Its a single stall. But some of the tiles came loose and because there was no backer board beind it, the drywall is soft.

Im thinking maybe I could take all the time and drywall out to save some $$ but should I just go ahead and retile myself? Anyone ever do this? Is it hard? Or should I just have someone come in and do it for me? Anyone have a company in mind?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM

28 posts, read 80,485 times
Tiling really shouldnt be a problem if you can do the dry wall (make sure it is for the wet area). Most tiles come on a 12 x 12 netting now so its not like you have a million quarter inch squares to apply and space. Take your time and dont do a large area do it in small sections. 3ft x 3ft is MORE than large enough an area for the backing. Much more than that and you have to start worrying about setting time. Make sure you do the grouting properly and seal it. The last thing you want is water getting behind the tile even if the drywall is "moisture rated"

Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Get a pro. When you're dealing with water, get a pro, because you only need to miss a small area to have a huge problem. And don't use drywall behind it. Don't even use greenboard. Use hardy siding. Period. Anything with drywall in it will eventually get wet and fall apart. If your tile guy wants to use drywall, don't let him. If you need a recommendation for a handyman that's incredibly professional and reasonably priced, send me a DM.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
If you are using small tile (even on 12"X12" sections) make sure the handyman has the sheetrock/hardy board as straight as possible. 90 degree corners top to bottom. Otherwise the tile will not line up properly. It may not bug you, but some people can't stand it.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Kim, tiling is a fairly easy job. You'll need to remove the tile and drywall that is currently in there. I'd suggest installing GP Densguard as the backer board. It is a fiberglas covered drywall. If you can tape and float, you'll float only the seams and the corners. Then paint 2 coats of RedBar over it. Redbar is a water proofing and goes on like thick paint. You can put the tile directly on the redbar. You'll start the tile by doing the back wall first, then the ends. I would also suggest that while the drywall is down, inspect the plumbing and especially the drain area for any termites. I would pour a boric acid powder all over the area especially around the drain pipe where it goes thru the foundation. That's where termites will come up if they ever decide the house is tasty. I would also suggest not using any cementious products like Hardi Backer. It does not stop water and has zero water proof characteristics. Builders generally will use a roofing felt behind it for the moisture barrier but felt does deteriorate and will be worthless in 10-15 years. I've replaced far too many showers because of the failure of the felt and structural damage happens. If you are getting up in age or have someone in the family that MIGHT need to move in because of health issues, while the drywall is down, install bracing on the end and side wall for handicap hand rails to be installed later. There are quite a few vids on YouTube on how to install tile. Might give them a look and decide if the work is for you. Averagely, the cost to tile a normal shower is around $8-900.00 NOT including any drywall/backer board work. I'd avoid any of the contractors on Craigslist as far too many scams are on there now. Get a recommendation from a tile supplier if you can't find a contractor.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
Good advice. The only thing I'd add is not pay any money upfront to any contractor.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM

199 posts, read 707,864 times
You might need the floor of the stall to be "hot mopped" which is probably the best way to ensure the floor being water-tight. Hot mop is just tar, but there are people who do just that. I would get an estimate or two from a pro at least to see what they believe the job entails, and then make your decision. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 AM

500 posts, read 969,642 times
Kerdi

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 134,518 times
Thanks everyone! I think we will go with a pro. Thankfully we put away some money to do it, so that will be good! I was all ready to do it, but family reminded me that I am no super woman. I am actually on the Liver Transplant list, so I suppose I they are right! Thanks so much for your imput. Who eve I go with I will be sure to share some before and afters

Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I'd suggest giving Hector Carrillo a call. Hector is not the cheapest nor is he the most expensive, but he does fabulous work. He can give you an estimate that costs you nothing but your time. He will do a fine job, clean up any mess, warranty his work, and you pay when he is finished. You can get him at 673-7300. He does the job right or he won't touch it. He's a person that actually takes pride in his work. He also does carpet or any type of flooring. He's a good man and a pleasure to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio