Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does San Antonio need most?
NFL Football team 20 31.25%
Controlled Development(South & East sides) 15 23.44%
1 Fortune 1000 company 10 15.63%
More Liberial Ideas 9 14.06%
None of the Above 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,986 times

Advertisements

I agree with Wcat. We need to stop this sprawling growth. Instead rebuild our infrastructure. What happens when everyone lives in outside cities. The taxes they pay go to the cities they live in (Jourdanton, Poteet, New Braunfels etc.. etc..) What happens to SA when no tax revenue is coming in from home owners? It goes down the drain and begins to look like those other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,888,279 times
I go with Light Rail System. I would love to see the day that is a choice in this city.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,383,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I agree with Wcat. We need to stop this sprawling growth. Instead rebuild our infrastructure. What happens when everyone lives in outside cities. The taxes they pay go to the cities they live in (Jourdanton, Poteet, New Braunfels etc.. etc..) What happens to SA when no tax revenue is coming in from home owners? It goes down the drain and begins to look like those other cities.

........EXACTLY!......and there is tremendous potential in our INFRASTRUCTURE! It's so nice to see some common sense! Thank you Saywhat and 1Star!!

SA Greed.....I will second your mention of a light rail to ease the traffic! It's working wonderfully in Dallas and Ft. Worth!

Not that the other things aren't nice.....but they are only a small part of the bigger picture.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM

64 posts, read 194,797 times
Land - or lack thereof - is not the issue for the exodus of people from those states moving into other areas around the country, including of course, San Antonio. Housing affordability issues have much to do with that exodus.
I'm addressing the problems our area must deal with when it must deal with such immigration (demand for housing (driving prices up), competition for jobs, infrastructure issues and so on.
yes, we have land. Lots of us would like to see some of it remain unscathed from the blight of the cookie cutter housing - that has made so many areas of our country so......can't think of a better word.......ugly.
San Antonio still has some real pretty areas and I'm fortunate enough to live in one - let's keep it that way!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,062,124 times
Downtown skyscrapers over 50 stories

Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,249,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhat? View Post
Land - or lack thereof - is not the issue for the exodus of people from those states moving into other areas around the country, including of course, San Antonio. Housing affordability issues have much to do with that exodus.
My land comment was to give you a reason housing is so cheap, and will remain cheap unlike California and Florida.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,908,615 times
Public transportation..like light rail system. Stop building massive highways and put some light rail in place of it.
Of course, Texans need to get over thier love of having a car everywhere they go.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,131,239 times
Default MY soap box resons- arguements...or wat ever

LightRail

Yeah i thought about the light rail system but most light rail system...excluding NYC's...there for tourist..althought..some cities use them as an alternative way of travel for a large metro....San Antonio is a growing city, but needs IMHO more density - or Controlled Development. Take a city such as Detriot,MI. A city with only 850,000 thousand, but a metro of over 4million. They have a "tourist type" of light rail that runs through downtown to various spots. A city such as Minneapolis-St. Paul metro of over 3 million but a short track at only 17 miles but avg # of riders is over 25 thousdand in 2006that acts like an alternative transportation sorce. So I ask you if the city has that development city wide will there be more of a need for a light railsystem? Along with that what are some good points of intrest other than those that are in the North Central to Northwest sides of town?

What Controlled Development?

With Toyota, a new Texas A&M campous along with City South agian Controlled Development comes into mind. In the next 5 to 10 yrs, Loop 410 South will become a very different place. So take pictures now! I did just that and wounder how long will it be before the "CD" on Loop 410 will begin. By this i mean, will 410 ever match its self. On the Northside we all know its getting a face lift from 6 lanes wide to 10 or more. LP410 from IH 10 West to Culebra will see this change as well. The East and South side however are still in their infent stage or 3 or even 2 lanes on the South. The East side however, to my knowledge, has no real big private or commerical development that will help change this. Lucky the Southside does, but even that took a while.

Fortune 1000/500

What about a Fortune 1000 company. Yes Im aware that 2(AT&T - Velero) are in the top 100 comanies in the revenue category. What about the workers category? Image another Fortune 500 company or one that maybe down in the 600-700 range but will bring a need for a large work force. Requires lots of land located by a highway due to and increased amount rail dependencey(if thats a word) and truck usage. The East side would be great due to cheap land and the need or better yet the desire to portion out a city ready to burst at the seams in other locations. Spreading out business and commerce will help others looking at the city from afar determine that the city is not just onesided, or dependent on geography.

NFL Team

I sure would love to have a football team in my home city. But Ill be quick to the point on the downfalls if one came to fast for the wrong reasons. Taxes. They will go up. Not a problem you say. But can the people of San Antonio really say that without bitting is lip. How bout a .02% tax hike. Via's park n ride service to games on Sunday will be as follows Adults $5 Childern 17-6 $ 3..seniors...uh..$3. Downtown parking along with Alamodome parking for the players-family-friends-city council-season ticketholders-contributors-the Rich-and those willing to pay $20 to $25. Last but not lest.....NO MORE COWBOYS.
Is San Antonio really going to give up on the 'Boys? Yeah other city have people that root for other teams...however during a stuggling season will San Antonio's fans become Fair-weather fans and root for the Boys when they have their own team? Other than a possible Cowboys or Texans match up will we pull a consistant 85% of sales of the Alamodome. Thats a little over 55,200 seat every Sunday.

Ok im off my soap box...maybe u can tell id be in favore of Controlled Development.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,131,239 times
Default my 2 cents

LightRail

Yeah i thought about the light rail system but most light rail system...excluding NYC's...there for tourist..althought..some cities use them as an alternative way of travel for a large metro....San Antonio is a growing city, but needs IMHO more density - or Controlled Development. Take a city such as Detriot,MI. A city with only 850,000 thousand, but a metro of over 4million. They have a "tourist type" of light rail that runs through downtown to various spots. A city such as Minneapolis-St. Paul metro of over 3 million but a short track at only 17 miles but avg # of riders is over 25 thousdand in 2006that acts like an alternative transportation sorce. So I ask you if the city has that development city wide will there be more of a need for a light railsystem? Along with that what are some good points of intrest other than those that are in the North Central to Northwest sides of town?

What Controlled Development?

With Toyota, a new Texas A&M campous along with City South agian Controlled Development comes into mind. In the next 5 to 10 yrs, Loop 410 South will become a very different place. So take pictures now! I did just that and wounder how long will it be before the "CD" on Loop 410 will begin. By this i mean, will 410 ever match its self. On the Northside we all know its getting a face lift from 6 lanes wide to 10 or more. LP410 from IH 10 West to Culebra will see this change as well. The East and South side however are still in their infent stage or 3 or even 2 lanes on the South. The East side however, to my knowledge, has no real big private or commerical development that will help change this. Lucky the Southside does, but even that took a while.

Fortune 1000/500

What about a Fortune 1000 company. Yes Im aware that 2(AT&T - Velero) are in the top 100 comanies in the revenue category. What about the workers category? Image another Fortune 500 company or one that maybe down in the 600-700 range but will bring a need for a large work force. Requires lots of land located by a highway due to and increased amount rail dependencey(if thats a word) and truck usage. The East side would be great due to cheap land and the need or better yet the desire to portion out a city ready to burst at the seams in other locations. Spreading out business and commerce will help others looking at the city from afar determine that the city is not just onesided, or dependent on geography.

NFL Team

I sure would love to have a football team in my home city. But Ill be quick to the point on the downfalls if one came to fast for the wrong reasons. Taxes. They will go up. Not a problem you say. But can the people of San Antonio really say that without bitting is lip. How bout a .02% tax hike. Via's park n ride service to games on Sunday will be as follows Adults $5 Childern 17-6 $ 3..seniors...uh..$3. Downtown parking along with Alamodome parking for the players-family-friends-city council-season ticketholders-contributors-the Rich-and those willing to pay $20 to $25. Last but not lest.....NO MORE COWBOYS.
Is San Antonio really going to give up on the 'Boys? Yeah other city have people that root for other teams...however during a stuggling season will San Antonio's fans become Fair-weather fans and root for the Boys when they have their own team? Other than a possible Cowboys or Texans match up will we pull a consistant 85% of sales of the Alamodome. Thats a little over 55,200 seat every Sunday.

Ok im off my soap box...maybe u can tell id be in favore of Controlled Development.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM

12 posts, read 31,371 times
Let's see, a Fortune 500 company adds 500+ well paying HQ jobs; an NFL team adds maybe 50. Professional sports franchises are over-hyped, under-producing economic contributors in their repsective MSAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio