Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:54 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,217 times

Advertisements

I drive by this monstrosity everyday on my way to the gym and was wondering if anyone here has heard good/bad/indifferent things about this new building. It always looks so empty. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they start opening up units to monthly leasing. Anyone have the scoop?

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,989 times
No scoop but I found it interesting that earlier this year while it was still under construction someone set out a reaper on one of the floors that could be seen by anyone driving eastbound down Hilderbrand that looked up. A morbid joke perhaps because didn't an accident of some kind occur there during construction?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:13 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
... A morbid joke perhaps because didn't an accident of some kind occur there during construction?
I'd think it was because when The Broadway was being built, they kept referring to themselves as the 'new' Patterson. For those who aren't familiar with Patterson, it's basically a retirement home for folks who have the right last name and bank balance. To have a reaper in the window is definitely someone's sick (but funny) sense of humor that it's likely the last stop for many who buy units there.

I just remember how creepy those mannequins looked that replaced the reaper days later... I believe they were placed in a conga line, but it more resembled an orgy.

BN

Old 11-23-2010, 03:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,989 times
lol I get it and sadly missed out on the conga line mannequins.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
I have noticed that the building leans towards Broadway. If you drive north on Broadway towards it or west on Hildebrand looking at the building, the building looks to be leaning. It's an optical illusion....I hope.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,128,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I have noticed that the building leans towards Broadway. If you drive north on Broadway towards it or west on Hildebrand looking at the building, the building looks to be leaning. It's an optical illusion....I hope.
that would be bad for business...

..however I did look at the layouts, and they are very nice. Even the smaller units have character to them. But Im sure for those prices it may stay empty for some while. To bad the outside kinda stinks.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM

490 posts, read 1,095,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I drive by this monstrosity everyday on my way to the gym and was wondering if anyone here has heard good/bad/indifferent things about this new building. It always looks so empty. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they start opening up units to monthly leasing. Anyone have the scoop?

BN
I went to a party two or so weeks ago showing off the building. They had 4 model units. There were some occupants already in and quite a few more units under construction. Someone associated with the project quipped that "jumbo mortgages are back" and encouraged everyone to get their unit, so I suspect there is plenty of room at the inn.

I don't have any high-rise living experience, so I don't have a lot to compare to. The common area was nicely appointed. The pool area was nice but I suspect it will only be lightly used. The three elevators were spread throughout the floor, as opposed to one bank, which I thought was a nice touch.

There were some great views of downtown from the 20th floor.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
That would be really bad. Remember the 32 story SPI Ocean Tower condo building?
16" leaning/sinking before they imploded it last year.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM

490 posts, read 1,095,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
That would be really bad. Remember the 32 story SPI Ocean Tower condo building?
16" leaning/sinking before they imploded it last year.
Given the state of Broadway at the Broadway/Hildebrand intersection, I would suggest it is far more likely Broadway is leaning!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Is that where Earl Abel's used to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio