Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,242 times

Advertisements

Greetings, SA ppl! I moved here in August after graduating from UT Austin with a Master's in Public Affairs/Policy. I have applied for over 300 jobs and have only received one interview--which was then rescheduled indefinitely. I've looked on monster, career builder, simply hired, idealist, tano, txnp and the corporate websites of all of the corporations headquartered in SA, but no luck! I'm extremely desperate at this point and was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of where to look or knew anyone who was currently, actively hiring. I'd really appreciate any input you could give me on this issue! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM

I've also applied for jobs at all of the universities in the area.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,382,447 times
CP...congrats on your education and accomplishments. I'm all for getting a good education. That being said....after many years of experience and dealing with young master's graduate students, I've found many have their sights set too high. Some of the most educated and successful business professionals I know started at a ground floor position. The key is getting your foot in the door at a company that you want. Once you're in, management will recognize that you are working below your capacity. Some like employees to sort of pay their dues seeing all levels of the business....sort of an initiation to their company.

Be sure not to wear your degree on your sleeve during an interview. Chances are the person reading your resume or interviewing your for the first time may not have your credentials and your resume might end up in the shredder.

If you really have your eyes set on a particular company, express this sentiment in your cover letter.....that XYZ company represents your business goals and standards, and as a new college grad, you're willing to start at an entry level job to experience all phases of the company. They may not place you there, but might admire your willingness to do what it takes to earn their respect.

Also...San Antonio does not have the reputation for having a huge corporate business presence. It's getting better, and the job market is better than other cities are faring, but it may not be in the pay range you have hoped. Experience is so important. Remember, you may not hit the moon with your first shot, so experiment with some offers that may not be totally up to your expectations.

Lastly....network, network, network.....join any and all opportunities to get out and meet other business minded individuals. There are a ton of opportunities to get involved in various organizations. More times than not, the best jobs are found through word of mouth and timing.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,150,479 times
If you just need to feed yourself and pay bills, West Corp. is filling hundreds of call center positions.

West wins new call-center business, expanding San Antonio workforce | San Antonio Business Journal

Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Bowie: Thanks for the link, I'd definitely be interested in temporary jobs such as a call center while I apply for a more permanent position.

wCat: Thanks for all the advice! I usually try to downplay my education because it was not one of my wiser decisions. I stated my degree in order to show the kind of field I'm looking into, although I've applied for jobs all across the board. I'm always on the lookout for networking opportunities and will check to see if any local organizations are having any gatherings.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,138,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Also...San Antonio does not have the reputation for having a huge corporate business presence.
Looks like OP is looking for public sector.
I work in non profit so I recognized the acronyms in the first post: tano, taco, lol, etc., etc.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM

With your Masters in PP; what kind of work are you looking to do?
I may have a lead for you that you may have not tried.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM

I'd be open to any kind of non-profit, advocacy or public sector work. In Austin, I worked for the state as a researcher/event coordinator specializing in Texas-Mexico border issues. A lot of my research was focused on Latin America, and I'm bilingual, so I've sent cover letters/resumes to Latino advocacy organizations in the area who are advertising for program coordinators and managers.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM

I sent you a Direct Message to your Inbox CP and if I think of anything else, I can send it your way.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,729,184 times
I've got nothing for you except probably places that you've already tried like Texas Rio Grande Legal Aide. Check with La Fe Policy Center and the Hope Alliance on the west side to see if they need any help with anything. The United Way has a pretty good job board hidden within its volunteer message board The BexarNec October 2010 Archive by thread but I wouldn't doubt if you've already found that. Maybe volunteering/interning will help, too. Since your network is based in Austin (and you've recognized that) creating a network within the city is going to be the best place to start.

I know the San Antonio non-profit/public sector network is huge, it's just a hidden network. I wish it was more out there like Chicago, Boston, LA, New York on Minneapolis...but it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio