Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,525,008 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife has a Bachelors in Public Health and is 95% complete with her Masters in Business Administration. She's had a total of 3 interviews since we moved here in April.

There is no white collar market in San Antonio unless you're working for the Government in one capacity or another (including Contractors).

The problem with a Masters here is that you're too educated for all the positions. My wife interviewed for a cheap hourly job, and they laughed at her Resume when she got there for the interview. They said it wasn't worth hiring her, because she'd leave at the first chance of a decent job.

Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,055,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
The problem with a Masters here is that you're too educated for all the positions. My wife interviewed for a cheap hourly job, and they laughed at her Resume when she got there for the interview. They said it wasn't worth hiring her, because she'd leave at the first chance of a decent job.

Go figure.
I agree! Too educated, yet they prefer the Masters and aren't willing to pay for what it's worth. So true.....

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,138,515 times
And then officials wonder why we're on the low educational attainment rate lists! D'oh!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Well, my wife has a Bachelors in Public Health and is 95% complete with her Masters in Business Administration.
Her educational background may fit into working as a Exec. Director at a health related non profit. Hope she finds something!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The United Way has a pretty good job board hidden within its volunteer message board The BexarNec October 2010 Archive by thread but I wouldn't doubt if you've already found that.
How do I sign up to get this thread? I've never seen it before.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,055,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
How do I sign up to get this thread? I've never seen it before.
It's a listserv thread. You can subscribe to it by following the directions on that link. Posts are sent directly to all people subscribed to the list.

Click on "More info on this list"

Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
It's a listserv thread. You can subscribe to it by following the directions on that link. Posts are sent directly to all people subscribed to the list.

Click on "More info on this list"
Oh thank you! I've never seen this before but now I see where I can add my email.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM

78 posts, read 150,995 times
Hang in there, lots of us in this same boat. And gotta agree with lots of posters in this thread..sometimes it's not what you know but who you know, and also don't be afraid to sort of think outside of the box yet still closely related to what you really want to do as well, . I know it's hard, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsorybore View Post
Greetings, SA ppl! I moved here in August after graduating from UT Austin with a Master's in Public Affairs/Policy. I have applied for over 300 jobs and have only received one interview--which was then rescheduled indefinitely. I've looked on monster, career builder, simply hired, idealist, tano, txnp and the corporate websites of all of the corporations headquartered in SA, but no luck! I'm extremely desperate at this point and was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of where to look or knew anyone who was currently, actively hiring. I'd really appreciate any input you could give me on this issue! Thanks!
well, hopefully you have close ones to support with basic needs if need be if you're not currently employed..because things like Food Assistance don't last very long. Jobs that are easy to get for educated people like say, for example, substitute teaching the pay isn't great especially for the way you're treated for the most part. Doesn't pay enough to take the abuse...Better off like flipping burgers(and no offense to anyone who does this for a living, just using this example as contrast) if really desperate, like for cash..Cheers!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
Did you try all the jobs at all the government sites like San Antonio, Bexar County, SAWS, CPS, SAHA, AACOG, etc.? Via also hires people who specialize in this area. I always see openings on those sites requiring at least a bachelor's in Public or Business Administration. Have you also searched on usajobs.gov? Child Protective Services is always hiring and they'll take anyone who has a bachelor's in anything. It may not be ideal and the pay is not all that great for the work required, but you'll start out making at least $16 per hour. You might want to also look into all the school districts in the area.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
And then officials wonder why we're on the low educational attainment rate lists! D'oh!
They shouldn't wonder because they love to brag about all the new call centers.

It's probably a Catch-22. Corporations aren't going to move here without an educated workforce and no one is going to pay all that money for a master's if jobs aren't available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio