Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,464 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to San Antonio towards the end of the year, and are beginning the grueling task of figuring out where to live! He will be working at Lackland AFB, but from everything we've heard we do not want to live in the immediate area around the base. I have scoured the main relocation thread on here, and it has been a wealth of information, but I have a few more specific questions and could use some insight. We'll be coming out to visit SA in about a month, but I'm trying to narrow down specifically where we should look when we come.

We are looking to rent and would like our monthly rent to be around $1300. We want at least a 2/2 and would really like something newer or renovated (granite countertops, etc.) By far our biggest priority is safety of the area, followed by proximity to shopping, restaurants, etc. So with that being said, here are my questions! Thanks in advance for your input.

1) Does anybody have any experience with any of the following apartments: Verde Westover Hills, Haven at the Rim, Haven at Blanco, Estates at Canyon Ridge, Artessa at Quarry Village? I searched the forum on these and didn't find too much info...

2) What would the commute be like from the Stone Oak area to Lackland AFB? We both went to school around the DC/Baltimore area, so we're used to a little traffic, but would like the commute to be under 45 mins...

3) Is Artessa at Quarry Village worth the extra money? A 2/2 there looks to be around $1900, which we could swing if it's completely worth it, but I've heard some not so great reviews.

4) Are the apartment hunters worth it? I know they don't cost anything, but don't want to end up being pressured into living somewhere so they can get a commission!

Thank you again for reading my small novel, and also for any other suggestions and advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoomeg View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to San Antonio towards the end of the year, and are beginning the grueling task of figuring out where to live! He will be working at Lackland AFB, but from everything we've heard we do not want to live in the immediate area around the base. I have scoured the main relocation thread on here, and it has been a wealth of information, but I have a few more specific questions and could use some insight. We'll be coming out to visit SA in about a month, but I'm trying to narrow down specifically where we should look when we come.

We are looking to rent and would like our monthly rent to be around $1300. We want at least a 2/2 and would really like something newer or renovated (granite countertops, etc.) By far our biggest priority is safety of the area, followed by proximity to shopping, restaurants, etc. So with that being said, here are my questions! Thanks in advance for your input.

1) Does anybody have any experience with any of the following apartments: Verde Westover Hills, Haven at the Rim, Haven at Blanco, Estates at Canyon Ridge, Artessa at Quarry Village? I searched the forum on these and didn't find too much info...

2) What would the commute be like from the Stone Oak area to Lackland AFB? We both went to school around the DC/Baltimore area, so we're used to a little traffic, but would like the commute to be under 45 mins...

3) Is Artessa at Quarry Village worth the extra money? A 2/2 there looks to be around $1900, which we could swing if it's completely worth it, but I've heard some not so great reviews.

4) Are the apartment hunters worth it? I know they don't cost anything, but don't want to end up being pressured into living somewhere so they can get a commission!

Thank you again for reading my small novel, and also for any other suggestions and advice you can give!
With the exception of the Quarry (well, sorta), you've mostly described suburban areas. If that's your preference, I get it, but, frankly, they don't offer anything you won't find in the suburban parts of any other city. Although, to be fair, there's lots of new chain retail/restaurants out there. Plus, if you have kids, the public schools are unquestionably better in most of the growing suburban areas.

I'd encourage you to explore the "classic" SA neighborhoods, most of which are located near downtown and are a quick drive Kelly (much closer than the apartments you listed). These neighborhoods have lots of good independent restaurants/bars, and contain most of the city's important cultural amenities (museums, farmer's market, galleries, parks, etc.). And they all have great architecture (most are historic neighborhoods) and are highly walkable.

Search for King William, Lavaca, Monte Vista, Tobin Hill, Mahncke Park, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Alta Vista.

Welcome, and good luck.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I would steer clear of apartment hunters. You'll be able to do adequate research on your own, and in many cases they won't show you rental options if the landlord doesn't pay their commission/fee.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:54 AM

221 posts, read 562,251 times
Quote:

I would HIGHLY suggest Verde at Westover Hills I have heard amazing things about the complex plus I heard that have 3 social events a month to get the residents together...this will help you guys meet your neighbors and make instant friends since I know how hard moving to a new city can be! I have also heard nice things about the Haven at the Rim....and the good news is its closer to Lackland then the Stone Oak area plus you are still near everything the Stone Oak area has to offer. You are also near La Cantera our nicest mall that has great restaurants and nice happy hour spots... If I were you I would choose either the Haven or Westover.

Stone Oak to Lackland would be about a 45min drive depending on traffic...there is a lot of nice restaurants and a good social scene(clubs, bars, etc) in that area however the commute might be a big big drawback.

There is no need for an apartment hunter they do work on commission and they know which properties will pay them the highest so they tend to drive you to those.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,688 times
Are you specifically looking to rent an apartment or are you interested in renting a house as well? My wife and I relocated from Boston and were renting a house and love it. Were just outside of the city and live in Converse. PM if you want more details, etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,464 times
Thanks for all of the info! I'm glad to hear the good reviews of both Haven at the Rim and Verde Westover Hills.... we will definitely go to check both out when we come to visit next month!

I will also look into some of the more classic SA neighborhoods. I have looked at Alamo Heights some, but I will expand my search to the other areas you mentioned as well. Are these predominantly neighborhoods with houses, or are there apartments, townhomes, etc?

We are definitely open to renting a house, though! From looking at the map, it seems like Converse would be a bit of a hike to Lackland. Is that correct?

I figured we should avoid the apartment hunting services, but just wanted to confirm that assumption

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the info! I'm glad to hear the good reviews of both Haven at the Rim and Verde Westover Hills.... we will definitely go to check both out when we come to visit next month!

I will also look into some of the more classic SA neighborhoods. I have looked at Alamo Heights some, but I will expand my search to the other areas you mentioned as well. Are these predominantly neighborhoods with houses, or are there apartments, townhomes, etc?
I'm surprised that not more far westsiders haven't chimed in yet. For $1300 a month you'll very easily be able to afford a newer (ie cookie cuter home with upgrades) home within 30 minutes of Lackland. For those types of homes check along 1604/151/90 up to Bandera. I believe zipcodes in that area are 78245, 78251 and 78253.

However, if you're looking for more of a classic neighborhood (as the aforementioned neighborhoods are) you'll be able to find apartments and homes for rent very easily. There may be 1 or 2 condos/town homes in the area. Actually, I know there are townhomes in AH.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,743 times
Quote:

We are definitely open to renting a house, though! From looking at the map, it seems like Converse would be a bit of a hike to Lackland. Is that correct?

I figured we should avoid the apartment hunting services, but just wanted to confirm that assumption
No disrespect intended, but I'd avoid Converse. It's on the opposite side of town from Kelly, and it's sort of a run-down city that doesn't have much to offer (other than cheap housing and proximity to Randolph AFB).

The classic SA neighborhoods have plenty of apartments and houses for rent, but very few apartment complexes (a good thing). Lots of good options for rent, though (for $1,300-$1,500, you should be able to find some houses for rent, and certainly condos/apartments).

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 PM

50 posts, read 200,936 times
We're a Lackland Air Force family too (2 years in Oct) and we have friends who bought in Stone Oak, so nice but SUCH a long commute. If you or your hubby is coming to do MTI duty living that far is hard because the hours are so wacky. We're out by 1604 and Culebra outside the 1604 loop, we like it but don't LOVE it. Everything out here is so cookie cutter, if you want anything with character I'd go with some of the posts about cities like Alamo Heights.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,607 times
i would suggest the mira vista apartments at la cantera. its right next to the rim/la cantera both upscale shopping centers, and directly across the highway from UTSA

Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 464,065 times
I have a good friend (AF officer) who has a house for rent in Silver Oaks. I can't remember what he's asking for rent, but I know its below $1300. His house is 3/2/2 and its beautifully maintained. I know we can't post addresses but if you are interested, message me and I will send the address to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio